GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Schneider waived

+10
shabbs
Acrobat
Phoenix30
rooneypoo
PKC
jamvan
BigRig
Riprock
Cronie
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

61Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:35 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Could be Cronie but, at half his salary I'd take him for this season :D.

62Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:42 am

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Could be Cronie but, at half his salary I'd take him for this season :D.
If you go to Spector's site he also thiks the same as I do. Why would any team, unless they were in dire need of Schneider, claim him off waivers? He's going to clear waivers and then he can be had for $2.? for the year. If Murray can add him for that price (if he gets the chance, but he won't) then I think he'd take him.

63Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:46 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jamvan wrote:That's why I think he clears waivers and then Anaheim will be on the hook for half his salary.

I have no questions that Murray would like to add him, but at that salary he can't.
Have we cleared the "it counts/it doesn't count" cap issue with his salary if he clears waivers? I've seen discussions saying it won't count, it will count etc...

If he does pass waivers and his salary does end up counting, Burke will look like a tool. But, this is Burke, he knows the CBA inside and out and must be doing this for a reason otherwise he would have just taken whatever he could get in trade, unless he really got no offers.

Lot of eye-brows being raised...

64Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:46 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Looking back, Murray could have done this differently.

Talks aren't going so well with Mesz and then TB comes along aggressively after him, so I decide I'm going to lose him because I'm not going to pay him what he wants.

At this point, I start to think, "Schneider would be a nice short-term fix...", so I demand Picard, a 1st, and another significant pick/prospect from TB for Mesz. At the same time, I work out a deal on the side to send a lower pick to Burke for Schneider and....

Voila! I've got Schneider (and not Kuba), Picard, another good asset for the team for the team, and cap space (to the tune of about $2.5-3 mil or so) left over.

In hindsight, we could have done a better job of this. But who knows if Murray could have guessed that Schneider could have been had so cheap (say, a 3rd or 4th at most). Hindsight is a tricky thing.

65Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:49 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jamvan wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Could be Cronie but, at half his salary I'd take him for this season :D.
If you go to Spector's site he also thiks the same as I do. Why would any team, unless they were in dire need of Schneider, claim him off waivers? He's going to clear waivers and then he can be had for $2.? for the year. If Murray can add him for that price (if he gets the chance, but he won't) then I think he'd take him.
So is the train of thought, as soon as he clears waivers, they'll bring him back up so that he will get picked up and they'd only be on the hook for half his salary at that time? Would that half count towards the cap or not?

66Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:

Again, players don't just go straight to re-entry waivers 24 hours after passing through waivers unclaimed. It's a conscious decision made by the GM to put him there.

I can't imagine why Burke would knowingly put Schneider on re-entry waivers, knowing that someone would claim him for sure and that he'd be stuck with a $2.8 mil hit against the cap. If the goal is to save as much cap space this year as possible, then it would make more sense to buy him out if it came to this (it would be $1 mil cheaper this year). Remember that waiving a player is also the standard first step towards buying him out.

It would be very unwise on the part of the 29 other GMs to assume that Schneider is going to pass through regular waivers and then recall him, putting him on re-entry waivers. From ANA's point of view, if the goal is to create the cap space needed to add Selanne this year, a buyout is a more likely solution to their problems than losing him on re-entry waivers.

67Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
jamvan wrote:
So is the train of thought, as soon as he clears waivers, they'll bring him back up so that he will get picked up and they'd only be on the hook for half his salary at that time? Would that half count towards the cap or not?
I'm not sure but he clears waivers at noon today (in minutes). I'm not sure they get under the cap with being liable for half his salary. The Ducks situation could get very interesting.

Selanne is already at camp as a non-roster player.

68Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:55 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Again, players don't just go straight to re-entry waivers 24 hours after passing through waivers unclaimed. It's a conscious decision made by the GM to put him there.

I can't imagine why Burke would knowingly put Schneider on re-entry waivers, knowing that someone would claim him for sure and that he'd be stuck with a $2.8 mil hit against the cap. If the goal is to save as much cap space this year as possible, then it would make more sense to buy him out if it came to this (it would be $1 mil cheaper this year). Remember that waiving a player is also the standard first step towards buying him out.

It would be very unwise on the part of the 29 other GMs to assume that Schneider is going to pass through regular waivers and then recall him, putting him on re-entry waivers. From ANA's point of view, if the goal is to create the cap space needed to add Selanne this year, a buyout is a more likely solution to their problems than losing him on re-entry waivers.
They can't buy him out. The Buyout period has passed.

69Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:58 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Have we cleared the "it counts/it doesn't count" cap issue with his salary if he clears waivers? I've seen discussions saying it won't count, it will count etc...

If he does pass waivers and his salary does end up counting, Burke will look like a tool. But, this is Burke, he knows the CBA inside and out and must be doing this for a reason otherwise he would have just taken whatever he could get in trade, unless he really got no offers.

Yes, this has been confirmed by Spector: if Schneider goes unclaimed, his full salary will still count towards ANA's cap hit. The reason for this has something to do with his age (over 35) and the fact that he has a multi-year deal.

This puts ANA in a tougher spot. They have to shed his salary now. If he goes unclaimed, look for either a trade involving ANA giving up a pick going the other way, or a buyout. A re-entry waiver claim is also possible, but I think it's the least likely of the 3 options.

At any rate, I'd be shocked if he went unclaimed. ATL, LA, and CBJ could all use him, that's for sure. CBJ especially -- they totally lack a PP QB.

70Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Yes, it would. That's why I think it's the least likely alternative. There are cheaper options, starting with a buyout.

71Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Yes, this has been confirmed by Spector: if Schneider goes unclaimed, his full salary will still count towards ANA's cap hit. The reason for this has something to do with his age (over 35) and the fact that he has a multi-year deal.

This puts ANA in a tougher spot. They have to shed his salary now. If he goes unclaimed, look for either a trade involving ANA giving up a pick going the other way, or a buyout. A re-entry waiver claim is also possible, but I think it's the least likely of the 3 options.

At any rate, I'd be shocked if he went unclaimed. ATL, LA, and CBJ could all use him, that's for sure. CBJ especially -- they totally lack a PP QB.
Mathieu Schneider was placed on waivers on Tuesday and the waiver period will expire on Wednesday at noon EDT.
The Ducks are $3 million above the cap and losing Schneider's salary would put them under. The Ducks are hoping that one of three teams who have not yet hit the floor cap of $40 million will pick up the veteran defenseman. The Ducks could be in trouble if no team claims Schneider as they couldn't deal him before placing him on waivers and they would be unable to buy out his contract as the buyout period ended at the end of June. It really would make sense for the Los Angeles Kings to pick up Schneider as he would add a veteran presence to a team that lost Rob Blake and Lubomir Visnovsky in the off-season and could have impressionable rookies Thomas Hickey and Drew Doughty on their blueline this season. Sep. 17 - 7:06 am et
Source: Los Angeles Times

72Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:00 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Yes, it would. That's why I think it's the least likely alternative. There are cheaper options, starting with a buyout.
Again, the buyout period past in June. They might just get f'ed by this. I bet Burke is glad he made so many friends with the Lowe soap opera.

73Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:03 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:
They can't buy him out. The Buyout period has passed.

I think you're right about that, but ANA does have unsigned RFAs (Andrew Miller). There's a clause in the CBA that allows a buy-out period after the signing of an RFA. That's why Boston was able to buyout Murray so late -- they had just signed RFA Wideman to a new deal, I believe.

If it turns out that a buyout isn't an option for ANA, however, then LOL they are in some serious Dung.

74Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jamvan wrote:Again, the buyout period past in June. They might just get f'ed by this. I bet Burke is glad he made so many friends with the Lowe soap opera.
Well, his only real recourse if he wants to shed his entire salary is to trade him if he goes unclaimed. He'll be at the mercy of the other GMs, who'll only be offering up a last round pick and maybe a pen.

I guess we'll find out this afternoon if he really did go through unclaimed.

75Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:06 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:I think you're right about that, but ANA does have unsigned RFAs (Andrew Miller). There's a clause in the CBA that allows a buy-out period after the signing of an RFA. That's why Boston was able to buyout Murray so late -- they had just signed RFA Wideman to a new deal, I believe.

If it turns out that a buyout isn't an option for ANA, however, then LOL they are in some serious Dung.
Wow - that is interesting... Burke must know something... I can't really see him getting screwed by this. He's just too shrewd.

76Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh man, please buy him out Burke, we're good to offer 3 million to get him.

77Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:15 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It is after noon ET now.... any word?

78Schneider waived - Page 5 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:16 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Interesting times indeed...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum