GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Schneider about to be a King?

+6
jamvan
PKC
shabbs
Riprock
AlfieforPM
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Schneider about to be a King? Empty Schneider about to be a King? Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hesitate to put this here at this point, but Strickland's no hack. Derek Armstrong going to other way - done by Monday morning apparently.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16805&blogger_id=5

2Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:51 pm

AlfieforPM

AlfieforPM
Prospect
Prospect

That's good, I didn't really want his salary on the Sens anyway, I think Kuba will suprise a few people.

3Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Why would a team want to trade for him when they could have had him for nothing (but his salary - which they pick up anyways) off waivers? I could understand hoping to claim him off re-entry waivers, but that isn' likely to happen.

What if they try to do what the Flames just did with Nilsson and "lend" him to the KHL?

4Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Why would a team want to trade for him when they could have had him for nothing (but his salary - which they pick up anyways) off waivers? I could understand hoping to claim him off re-entry waivers, but that isn' likely to happen.

What if they try to do what the Flames just did with Nilsson and "lend" him to the KHL?

LA didn't want to absorb the entire cap hit, they wanted to give up salary - even if it's only 1.5 million, they wanted something going back to Anaheim. It was apparently between him and Calder - I guess it theoretically still is.

The trade was apparently in place way before he got put on waivers. Quite interesting move on LA's part. I don't see why, other than to try to get a 1st rounder at the deadline for him - I guess to mentor the young lads, but that's a hefty price to pay.

5Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:30 am

504Heater wrote:
The trade was apparently in place way before he got put on waivers. Quite interesting move on LA's part. I don't see why, other than to try to get a 1st rounder at the deadline for him - I guess to mentor the young lads, but that's a hefty price to pay.
Wow - that is exactly why they're doing it. Crazy.
I don't know if they would get a 1st for him, but they'll get a solid return.

6Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:43 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cash wrote:
504Heater wrote:
I wonder if Burke will throw in a pick too?

There was mention that due to Schneider's age and contract, he would not qualify for the the "half price" deal on re-entry waivers. Is this true?

7Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:57 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
cash wrote:
504Heater wrote:
I wonder if Burke will throw in a pick too?

There was mention that due to Schneider's age and contract, he would not qualify for the the "half price" deal on re-entry waivers. Is this true?

I've never personally seen anything to that effect in the CBA. Not that I've memorized the CBA or anything, by any means. I think re-entry waivers are pretty straightforward from what I recall.

8Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:01 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I hear this deal is all but done. Makes you wonder why they didn't pick him up for nothing?

9Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:02 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Why would a team want to trade for him when they could have had him for nothing (but his salary - which they pick up anyways) off waivers? I could understand hoping to claim him off re-entry waivers, but that isn' likely to happen.

LA didn't want to absorb the entire cap hit, they wanted to give up salary - even if it's only 1.5 million, they wanted something going back to Anaheim. It was apparently between him and Calder - I guess it theoretically still is.

Obviously, Armstrong (or Calder) is perceived by management as a bad fit for the team for one reason or another, just as Bell was by SJS, Van Ryn for FLA, and McCabe for TOR. They want to off-load one of these perceived problems in exchange for taking on one of ANA's even bigger problems.

Faced with this demand, Burke balked, took a gamble, and put Schneider on waivers. When no one claimed him, that confirmed that he would have to do something else to get rid of Schneider, either in terms of giving up a quality asset in order to convince a team to take him or taking on a problem from another team -- and it consequently strengthened Lombardi's bargaining position by confirming just how unattractive Schneider's current salary is.

As to why LA would want Schneider: right now, 3 or 4 of their D are on entry-level, 2-way deals. It's as young and inexperienced as it gets, and it needs all the help it can find. Plus, yes, I totally expect them to turn around and flip Schneider to a team at the deadline for picks/prospects. Hell, Schneider may end up being a Senator in February if we still have a hole in our D. I'd say something in the realm of a 2nd should do it come February.

10Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:02 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

AlfieforPM wrote:That's good, I didn't really want his salary on the Sens anyway, I think Kuba will suprise a few people.
I'm 120% with you on this. Kuba is a very good defenceman and is finally going to get the chance to own the PP. He was secondary in Tampa. He's the right shot to get fed the puck too.

Can't wait for tomorrow night.

11Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:06 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Thanks to your analysis yesterday Jam, I too am now VERY excited to see what Kuba brings to the table...

God, I hope I can find a way to watch tomorrow's game...

12Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:11 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PKC wrote:I've never personally seen anything to that effect in the CBA. Not that I've memorized the CBA or anything, by any means. I think re-entry waivers are pretty straightforward from what I recall.
Yeah, I'ev never seen it. There was also mention that if you pick them off waivers, you can't trade them. Perhaps they're looking to have the option to move Schneider at the deadline depending on how the season is going. But, having him with the young D would be good for LA.

13Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think this deal will be quite similar to the one we saw between Florida and Toronto. Schneider's price tag is too exorbitant, and no one really 'needs' him, it appears. I could see a bad salary going Anaheim's way, and then Schneider and a pick going LA's way. Although I do have to say, these divisional dealings are starting to become more commonplace. Or maybe, just even the idea of them.

14Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:29 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, the most logical thing would see Burke trade Schneider for Armstrong and then send Armstrong down to the minors to clear his salary from the cap, giving him the space he needs to sign Selanne and have the buffer he needs.

15Schneider about to be a King? Empty Re: Schneider about to be a King? Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:34 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

that does seem Logical... But will it go down logically, who knows?!?! LOL

Am I the only one that is kind of hoping this burns Burke? LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum