GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Schneider was almost a Sen?

+9
bluewhiteandgolf
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
Phoenix30
dennycrane
rooneypoo
PKC
Bramlet07
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors

Take that for what it's worth (hockeyleaks my arse), but this makes a lot of sense. The Sens would be over the cap though and they would be forced to make another move in order to keep Schneider.

I'm sure Burke was unhappy with Murray if this is indeed the case. I would be. It would hamper any further deals we made.

Son of a ****, how close did we come to becoming legitimate contenders there? Diddle.

Now Burke may be forced to take a lesser value from a team in the East. I can see this stinging us very badly...Tampa is said to have interest. That would make them a lot better.

Pronger may be on the table - apparently. That would be a massive trade.

2Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Maybe Murray backed out because he liked what he saw out of Neil in some of the pre-training camp practices...or maybe Hartsburg liked him...I dunno.
As much as I like Neil, it would have been pretty outstanding to have our D looking like this (or something like it):
Phillips - Schneider
Volchenkov - Lee
Smith - Kuba

3Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

My guess is he backed out because of the Mezsaros trade.

4Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:38 pm

If this rumour goes that far back, then that was definitely why...

5Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If we would have acquired Schneider, I'm fairly confident that would have meant the end of our involvement in acquiring Jay Bouwmeester. In which case, that would have made me extremely violent, agitated and displeased.

I'm going to be persistent about how much I don't want to see Schneider here, regardless of our back end issues. The play is almost certainly for Bouwmeester at this point, and I'd be fairly surprised if he wasn't in fact a Senator at some point within the next calender year (of course, barring someone comes way, way, way over the top for the kid).

6Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:58 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I think you have to step back and wonder how much credibility that report has. It's two sentences of text listed by an unknown blogger on a site that traffics in rumour. It doesn't cite or quote any source, or point to any evidence. Don't be surprised if it turns out to be unfounded.

I personally doubt the idea. Schneider would be great, but we'd have to move someone on a $2+ mil contract (Kelly, Volchenkov, Smith, Vermette) to squeeze his contract in and get the team under the cap. Getting rid of the Neils, McAmmonds, and Schuberts of our lineup would not be enough, especially since we know that the team wants to have something like $1.5-2 mil in space available for injuries, call ups, deadline deals, etc. I just think it highly unlikely that we'd be willing to sacrifice good players on longer, cheaper deals for one year of a 39-year-old defenceman.

If Pronger's on the move, however, then I'm very, very interested. :D

7Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:I think you have to step back and wonder how much credibility that report has. It's two sentences of text listed by an unknown blogger on a site that traffics in rumour. It doesn't cite or quote any source, or point to any evidence. Don't be surprised if it turns out to be unfounded.

I personally doubt the idea. Schneider would be great, but we'd have to move someone on a $2+ mil contract (Kelly, Volchenkov, Smith, Vermette) to squeeze his contract in and get the team under the cap. Getting rid of the Neils, McAmmonds, and Schuberts of our lineup would not be enough, especially since we know that the team wants to have something like $1.5-2 mil in space available for injuries, call ups, deadline deals, etc. I just think it highly unlikely that we'd be willing to sacrifice good players on longer, cheaper deals for one year of a 39-year-old defenceman.

If Pronger's on the move, however, then I'm very, very interested. :D

I have a 3 million dollar salary that I'd gas in a heartbeat to get Schneider and that's Kuba.

8Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

I have a 3 million dollar salary that I'd gas in a heartbeat to get Schneider and that's Kuba.

True enough. But Kuba may have a NTC of some kind so we might not be able to move him even if we wanted to.

I thought that this wasn't the case, btw, but then I read about it somewhere else today (I forget where -- in was in the context of "wow, what bad stuff those TB owners/GM are doing"). I'm no longer sure about what's what in this regard -- but we'd have to know this fact for sure before we could even talk about moving him being feasible.

9Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
True enough. But Kuba may have a NTC of some kind so we might not be able to move him even if we wanted to.

I thought that this wasn't the case, btw, but then I read about it somewhere else today (I forget where -- in was in the context of "wow, what bad stuff those TB owners/GM are doing"). I'm no longer sure about what's what in this regard -- but we'd have to know this fact for sure before we could even talk about moving him being feasible.

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Look at Mike Fisher in there with a NMC, followed by a limited NTC. I did not realize that.

I think Kuba just didn't want to leave and they basically said, sorry man, we no longer require your services.

That kind of thing.

10Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Schneider is breaking down - he won't play 60 games wherever he ends up.

Still, sending Neil out would be great. I do expect Neil to have a good year as he is the sort of guy that will be great in a contract year. After 08-09, Neil's agent will ask for 2.5 mil/year. The collective roar of Sens fans laughter will be deafening.

11Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:Schneider is breaking down - he won't play 60 games wherever he ends up.

Still, sending Neil out would be great. I do expect Neil to have a good year as he is the sort of guy that will be great in a contract year. After 08-09, Neil's agent will ask for 2.5 mil/year. The collective roar of Sens fans laughter will be deafening.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1831&hubname=nhl-senators

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1585&hubname=nhl-senators

I wish I could do a blind taste test here so you could tell me who's who. Neil is the exact same player as Ruutu. Neil is better at dropping his gloves, Ruutu is better at knowing his role.

Neil can ask for 2.5 until he's blue in the face, but you know as well as I that the minute Murray sits down with 3 years/4.5 million (exactly like Laraque, who is better as well) and Neil and his agent say no, he's gonzo. Deadline, Xmas, pick your moment, but he's gone.

Sign the deal, or you're out of here. And if you're good with that, then more power to you. But unless you have a light's out year, 2.5 is murder, it just won't happen.

As for Schneider. Let's say he plays 55 games with the Sens on PP 1. Would he still lead Sens D-men in scoring by about 10 points?

The answer is...yes indeed.

12Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors

Take that for what it's worth (hockeyleaks my arse), but this makes a lot of sense. The Sens would be over the cap though and they would be forced to make another move in order to keep Schneider.

I'm sure Burke was unhappy with Murray if this is indeed the case. I would be. It would hamper any further deals we made.

Son of a ****, how close did we come to becoming legitimate contenders there? Diddle.

Now Burke may be forced to take a lesser value from a team in the East. I can see this stinging us very badly...Tampa is said to have interest. That would make them a lot better.

Pronger may be on the table - apparently. That would be a massive trade.

So if Murray is still looking for that D-man and had the choice between Pronger and Bouwmeester who would he pick? I'm stuck because I like what both bring to the table. Youth and potential in Bouwmeester and Pronger is experienced and nasty. In either case I suspect a large salary would have to go the other way.

13Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Serious question: Lee for Pronger - Would you do it?

Just think about the size of our D-corps...not to mention reuniting Smith and Pronger...

14Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:45 pm

504Heater wrote:
dennycrane wrote:Schneider is breaking down - he won't play 60 games wherever he ends up.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1831&hubname=nhl-senators

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1585&hubname=nhl-senators

I wish I could do a blind taste test here so you could tell me who's who. Neil is the exact same player as Ruutu. Neil is better at dropping his gloves, Ruutu is better at knowing his role.

Neil can ask for 2.5 until he's blue in the face, but you know as well as I that the minute Murray sits down with 3 years/4.5 million (exactly like Laraque, who is better as well) and Neil and his agent say no, he's gonzo. Deadline, Xmas, pick your moment, but he's gone.

Sign the deal, or you're out of here. And if you're good with that, then more power to you. But unless you have a light's out year, 2.5 is murder, it just won't happen.

As for Schneider. Let's say he plays 55 games with the Sens on PP 1. Would he still lead Sens D-men in scoring by about 10 points?

The answer is...yes indeed.

Neil may drop them more but watch some of Ruutu's fights on You Tube. Dude can chuck 'em. He seems to have a Barnaby type fighting style as I heard one of the commentators describe it. He goes in wth a dodge the barrage style and lets the guy tire out then he starts. It is beauty to watch. Neil is better at goading another player into a fight and taking the guy with him for a 5 minute sit down. Althoug last year, not so much. The thing I like about both guys is they have 'heat of the battle fights' not those stupid big dummy vs. big dummy match ups.. oh sorry Grats...

15Schneider was almost a Sen? Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

cash wrote:Serious question: Lee for Pronger - Would you do it?

Just think about the size of our D-corps...not to mention reuniting Smith and Pronger...

yes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum