GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Schneider was almost a Sen?

+9
bluewhiteandgolf
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
Phoenix30
dennycrane
rooneypoo
PKC
Bramlet07
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
504Heater wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Neil may drop them more but watch some of Ruutu's fights on You Tube. Dude can chuck 'em. He seems to have a Barnaby type fighting style as I heard one of the commentators describe it. He goes in wth a dodge the barrage style and lets the guy tire out then he starts. It is beauty to watch. Neil is better at goading another player into a fight and taking the guy with him for a 5 minute sit down. Althoug last year, not so much. The thing I like about both guys is they have 'heat of the battle fights' not those stupid big dummy vs. big dummy match ups.. oh sorry Grats...

Awesome! I had no idea he had fighting skillz.

Have you seen his tilt with Tucker...

Heeezuz. That was a flurry of sadness for Tucker at the end there.

32Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:

[/quote]

Wow, that WAS a pretty good beatdown. He landed about a dozen hard shots to the head in the last few seconds.

Ruutu should be a very solid addition all around. I'm exciting to see what he can do for this team.

33Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:Another possible target for us might be... wait for it...

Tomas Kaberle.

The guy is an elite player on a good deal, stuck on a crap team re-building after management flushed all his buddies down the toilet. I'm betting he's not exactly thrilled with his new situation. Best of all, he is in control of his destiny. If we want him and if he wants to bolt, we might be able to do business with *gasp* TO. We'd have a 1st rounder to spare for such a deal, too.

Just thinking out loud.

What are we talking about here? Foligno and a 1st? More?

34Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
dennycrane wrote:Schneider is breaking down - he won't play 60 games wherever he ends up.

Still, sending Neil out would be great. I do expect Neil to have a good year as he is the sort of guy that will be great in a contract year. After 08-09, Neil's agent will ask for 2.5 mil/year. The collective roar of Sens fans laughter will be deafening.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1831&hubname=nhl-senators

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1585&hubname=nhl-senators

I wish I could do a blind taste test here so you could tell me who's who. Neil is the exact same player as Ruutu. Neil is better at dropping his gloves, Ruutu is better at knowing his role.

Neil can ask for 2.5 until he's blue in the face, but you know as well as I that the minute Murray sits down with 3 years/4.5 million (exactly like Laraque, who is better as well) and Neil and his agent say no, he's gonzo. Deadline, Xmas, pick your moment, but he's gone.

Sign the deal, or you're out of here. And if you're good with that, then more power to you. But unless you have a light's out year, 2.5 is murder, it just won't happen.

As for Schneider. Let's say he plays 55 games with the Sens on PP 1. Would he still lead Sens D-men in scoring by about 10 points?

The answer is...yes indeed.

I'm afraid the answer is no. You have to also take into consideration the teams he was playing for and the defensemen playing the point with him on the first unit powerplay in Detroit and Anaheim. We just don't have the caliber of defenseman those two teams had to pair him up with (Pronger, Niedermayer, and Lidstrom). It would be a lot easier to key in on him on our powerplay because he doesn't have that other elite top 5 defenseman to pass off the puck to.

35Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:30 pm

504Heater wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:
504Heater wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Neil may drop them more but watch some of Ruutu's fights on You Tube. Dude can chuck 'em. He seems to have a Barnaby type fighting style as I heard one of the commentators describe it. He goes in wth a dodge the barrage style and lets the guy tire out then he starts. It is beauty to watch. Neil is better at goading another player into a fight and taking the guy with him for a 5 minute sit down. Althoug last year, not so much. The thing I like about both guys is they have 'heat of the battle fights' not those stupid big dummy vs. big dummy match ups.. oh sorry Grats...

Heeezuz. That was a flurry of sadness for Tucker at the end there.

There are a few more on YouTube as well. He dummied Rob Blake, Hordichuk and Byron Ritchie to name a few. He certainly picks his spots but when he goes he can go.

36Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tough call there. Schneider's a left handed shot to Lee's right hand or Alfie's right hand, then you have Spezza, Heatley and let's say Fisher down low. That's an awesome PP unit.

It's a good point though, he's had a couple of future HOF D-men to play with.

37Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:Problem with Bouwmeester is that Martin will ask for an entire sausage party from Ottawa for him while taking less from someone else.

I think that's a myth more than anything else now. It's not like Murray is going to try and stiff Martin on any potential deal regarding Bouwmeester. We know that there is going to be a premium that needs to be paid to acquire a high-end talent like Jay. Like I said, unless someone goes way over top of us, I don't doubt that Murray would put together an extremely competitive package for Bouwmeester.

Also worth noting since we're on that topic, Martin is getting a good look at the prospects in the Senators' system right now at the rookie tournament. Food for thought...

38Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:37 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:If we were assured at a shot at Bow, I would say wait, but how can anyone be assured he won't re-sign when Florida is closing in on a playoff spot in January or next summer even? I dunno, I'd love to know that for the first time in franchise history we're going after the big prize free agent - and that's not to say that it's particularily the smartest move, but we all agree that landing the stud D-man will pave the road to a stud goalie and then...

Don't worry, Florida won't be "closing in on a playoff spot" anytime soon; in losing Jokinen, that franchise has taken a giant step backwards. All signs coming out FLA suggest to me that Bouw is done there. Never say never, I know, but I think the odds are very low that he's in a Panthers jersey this time next year.

Again, I'd point to the Campbell trade last year as the price we can expect to pay for Bouw if we had to trade for him: a very good NHL-ready prospect/young player + a first rounder -- Vermette / Foligno plus a 1st (ours or SJ's). I'm sure, too, that Murray being Murray, he wouldn't give up significant assets without some argeement in principle for an extension.

Murray is not anywhere near as timid as former Sens GMs. We should remember that Stillman/Commodore was one of the bigger deadline (OK, pre-deadline) trades last year (it didn't work out all that well in the end, I know, but I doubt Murray goes 0 for 2). He's not afraid to make a move if he thinks the team needs it -- and it's pretty clear that this team's 2 priorities over the next 10 months are going to be acquiring a D and a goalie.

39Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 pm

PKC wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:Problem with Bouwmeester is that Martin will ask for an entire sausage party from Ottawa for him while taking less from someone else.

I think that's a myth more than anything else now. It's not like Murray is going to try and stiff Martin on any potential deal regarding Bouwmeester. We know that there is going to be a premium that needs to be paid to acquire a high-end talent like Jay. Like I said, unless someone goes way over top of us, I don't doubt that Murray would put together an extremely competitive package for Bouwmeester.

Also worth noting since we're on that topic, Martin is getting a good look at the prospects in the Senators' system right now at the rookie tournament. Food for thought...

I read on more than one occassion that Martin was asking more from Ottawa in the Roberts deal than he was from Pitt. Eventually taking Noah Welch who is a borderline 6th defenceman.

40Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, but that was what, two/three years ago?

41Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbp_5Q1IhXw

Around the 3 minute mark, he pops Robidas like a cork. LOL.

EDIT: It's the 2:45 mark. Bahahahha.

Last edited by 504Heater on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

42Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:43 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

Something like that, I suppose. Kaberle is on a sweet deal for 3 more years (2 and a bit if they move him at the deadline), and he's a perennial .75 PPG D, which is pretty big. I imagine TO would want at least a 1st + a young forward with top-6 potential -- preferably ready to go right now, I'd think, but who can say. I'd think, in fact, that the price for Kaberle would be close to the price for Bouw -- the latter is better overall, I know, but the former is on a cheap deal for a while yet, which gives him added value.

43Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Something like that, I suppose. Kaberle is on a sweet deal for 3 more years (2 and a bit if they move him at the deadline), and he's a perennial .75 PPG D, which is pretty big. I imagine TO would want at least a 1st + a young forward with top-6 potential -- preferably ready to go right now, I'd think, but who can say. I'd think, in fact, that the price for Kaberle would be close to the price for Bouw -- the latter is better overall, I know, but the former is on a cheap deal for a while yet, which gives him added value.

That would be great. I love the way Kaberle plays. I support that as much as I would a Bow trade.

44Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:59 pm

PKC wrote:Yeah, but that was what, two/three years ago?

Best prediction of future behaviour is past behaviour. Dude was very bitter. Maybe I am wrong and he is past it but if I was the owner and found out we could have got a better deal except for the fact my GM had something personal that got in the way of business, well... he wouldn't even get to clean out his desk. A security guard would do it for him.

45Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
Best prediction of future behaviour is past behaviour. Dude was very bitter. Maybe I am wrong and he is past it but if I was the owner and found out we could have got a better deal except for the fact my GM had something personal that got in the way of business, well... he wouldn't even get to clean out his desk. A security guard would do it for him.

I would fire him anyway.

Mr.504Heater, I traded Jokinen!
For who?
Ballard and Boynton!
And?
And...a 2nd round pick!
And?
That's it.
Get out.

That's the convo. It would take 30 seconds.

46Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jebus!! I lost power at our place last night and so I come to work and see this!? What the hell did I miss?!?!

47Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:11 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:Serious question: Lee for Pronger - Would you do it?

Just think about the size of our D-corps...not to mention reuniting Smith and Pronger...

It pains me to say this but I think I would do this.

- Unknown Author

48Schneider was almost a Sen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Schneider was almost a Sen? Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

ouch.... that's a migraine for me... I really am excited for what Lee will become, and even though I HATE Pronger's antics at times, he would DOMINATE...

Yeah, I begrudgingly would have to agree. do it...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum