GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Schneider waived

+10
shabbs
Acrobat
Phoenix30
rooneypoo
PKC
jamvan
BigRig
Riprock
Cronie
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

121Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:43 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:
Here you go

<< Previous | ^ Back to Index ^ | Next >>
ARTICLE 13

WAIVER DRAFT

13.22. The Waiver Draft will be conducted each year within the seven (7) days, but not less than three (3) days, prior to the opening of the regular season, by telephone conference call at a date and time as determined by the Commissioner or in accordance with the critical date calendar agreed to by the NHL and NHLPA. The NHLPA shall participate as an observer in the Waiver Draft.

13.23. Protected lists of eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goalkeepers are to be submitted to Central Registry preceding the conduct of the draft, at a date and time as determined by the Commissioner.

13.24. Exemptions: Exempt from claim are:

All players and goalkeepers who, in the opinion of the Commissioner, are on bona fide military service for their country at the time of the Waiver Draft.

A player on the Free Agent List who signs a contract with a team outside the NHL may be exempted from claim in the Waiver Draft at the election of the Club. If such player, having been so exempted, returns to play during the season, the Club will be required to place him, or some other player on the Protected List at the time of the last Waiver Draft, on waivers.

All players who qualify as set forth in Article 13.4 above.
13.25. All other players on Reserve Lists (including players on Free Agent List) are offered on waivers with Clubs having right to claim based upon order of the last Entry Draft, without regard to the results of the Lottery and trades. Non-playoff Clubs shall claim for one round exclusively. In the second round and thereafter all Clubs may claim. Claim of a player from the Free Agent List transfers to the claiming Club whatever rights to equalization compensation were held by the Club from which the draft claim was made. No Club may claim a player from the Reserve List of a Club in its own division in the first round. "Playoff Club" and "non-playoff Club" as used in this Section relates to whether a Club participated in the immediately preceding playoffs

*sigh* Now I'm more confused than ever.

Nevermind that the legalise here is giving me a headache but... where did you get these passages from? Please don't tell me the CBA, because the version of the CBA that I always use (http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf), which is a PDF facsimile version straight from NHL.com, doesn't have any of these clauses; in fact, article 13 only has 23 subsections, and not the minimum 25 subsections listed above...

122Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:45 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dawg's Wife wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Sad I don't understand. When can we find confirmation of this Wife of Dawg?

Hehe whether I exist or not...

I assure you I am real, and I am a real hockey wife...not a puck bunny. I'm at all hockey games, and right now trying to con my parents into watching the kids, so my girlfriends and I can go on the Bingo trip.

:D That's not what I meant at all! I meant that I didn't understand which it was, was it 1st to 30th or 30th to 1st.

And then I meant, when can we find out for sure that it's 1st to 30th.

But...yeah....that would be awesome if you could get down to Bingo that weekend!

EDIT:
And I turned Dawg's Wife into Wife of Dawg - which might have confused the issue a little. Wink

123Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:58 pm

[quote="rooneypoo]

*sigh* Now I'm more confused than ever.

Nevermind that the legalise here is giving me a headache but... where did you get these passages from? Please don't tell me the CBA, because the version of the CBA that I always use (http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf), which is a PDF facsimile version straight from NHL.com, doesn't have any of these clauses; in fact, article 13 only has 23 subsections, and not the minimum 25 subsections listed above...[/quote]

Take it for what it's worth...I'm not 100% if it's the current cba

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/archive/cba/article13.html

124Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:42 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:Ah, so they waived him, he went unclaimed, and then PIT, in an effort to save some cash (Recchi being over 35 at the time), brought him up through re-entry waivers and then ATL claimed him, yes? That is, he was never traded to anyone at any point, or signed to a new deal, right?

That makes sense. That definitely confirms, too, that ANA must either pay someone a draft/prospect to absorb the costs / cap hit of half of Schneider's salary, or bite the bullet and bring him through re-entry waivers themselves and get stuck with cost / cap hit themselves.
I think any team that acquires him now via trade will have to bring him up through waivers anyway. This seems to be a really silly situation, unless the team that trades for him can guarantee that he clears waivers and can hold on to him, otherwise, they'd be on the hook for half his salary... that seems messed up.

So confusing...

EDIT: The only thing that really makes sense is that they'll now bring him back up through re-entry and he'll get picked up. I guess Burke realized there was no market for him with his huge salary and they'd have to eat half of it since they can't buy him out. They're just cutting their losses based on the situation.

125Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 pm

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Ah, so they waived him, he went unclaimed, and then PIT, in an effort to save some cash (Recchi being over 35 at the time), brought him up through re-entry waivers and then ATL claimed him, yes? That is, he was never traded to anyone at any point, or signed to a new deal, right?

That makes sense. That definitely confirms, too, that ANA must either pay someone a draft/prospect to absorb the costs / cap hit of half of Schneider's salary, or bite the bullet and bring him through re-entry waivers themselves and get stuck with cost / cap hit themselves.
I think any team that acquires him now via trade will have to bring him up through waivers anyway. This seems to be a really silly situation, unless the team that trades for him can guarantee that he clears waivers and can hold on to him, otherwise, they'd be on the hook for half his salary... that seems messed up.

So confusing...

EDIT: The only thing that really makes sense is that they'll now bring him back up through re-entry and he'll get picked up. I guess Burke realized there was no market for him with his huge salary and they'd have to eat half of it since they can't buy him out. They're just cutting their losses based on the situation.

Dude will be snapped up in a New York minute at half the salary though. I am pretty sure we will not get a sniff. He will have to go through the hands of about 10 teams first. Not gonna happen.

126Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think it's phase 2 for Burke - offer a 2nd rounder as compensation to take Schneider.

127Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I'm discussing this issue with some guys over at Dobber, and one of their regular big-time contributors (fzusher) had this to say about Schneider, re: what happens if ANA trades Schneider, do they have to put him on recall waivers, etc.?

"Schneider having cleared waivers does not yet mean he has been assigned to the AHL. What this means that it gives the Ducks the right to assign him to their AHL affiliate (or loan him to clubs in other leagues under certain conditions), at will, over the next 30 days, or until Schneider has played 10 NHL games, whichever comes first. Only after they actually assign him elsewhere will he have to pass through re-entry waivers to be recalled to the NHL team, and if they do not actually assign him elsewhere within those 30 days/10 games the waiver clearance will simply have expired, forcing them to pass him through waivers again to demote him.

So for the time being, Burke can still keep him on the NHL team's roster if he so chooses; and any GM who trades for Schneider can still put him on their NHL roster once they acquire him without re-entry waivers. Acquiring GMs will need to pass him through re-entry waivers only if Burke actually assigns Schneider to Manchester."

So it looks like this is a very viable route. ANA will just have to sweeten the pot a little with a pick/prospect to convince another GM to take him on. Say, something like Schneider + 3rd for a 5th -- something like that.

128Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I feel like I have a headache after reading all that CBA legalese. I just don't see why all the teams in the NHL would pass on Schneider on the first pass of waivers, but then agree to trade for him and acquire a pick as well. I still remain of the opinion that the only way Burke's getting Schneider off of his roster is through re-entry waivers and claiming half the salary.

Which would be really fitting since he's big into amending the CBA to include a clause about being able to retain a certain portion of the player's cap hit to facilitate trades.

129Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:01 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I feel like I have a headache after reading all that CBA legalese. I just don't see why all the teams in the NHL would pass on Schneider on the first pass of waivers, but then agree to trade for him and acquire a pick as well. I still remain of the opinion that the only way Burke's getting Schneider off of his roster is through re-entry waivers and claiming half the salary.

Which would be really fitting since he's big into amending the CBA to include a clause about being able to retain a certain portion of the player's cap hit to facilitate trades.

:D Quite true...quite true.

He's gonna have to entice someone somehow. I don't think he wants to eat half of that salary.

Kuba, McAmmond, Gerber

for

Hiller, Schneider, Moen and a 3rd

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6070&hubname=nhl-ducks

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2669&hubname=nhl-ducks

130Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:34 pm

504Heater wrote:

He's gonna have to entice someone somehow. I don't think he wants to eat half of that salary.

Kuba, McAmmond, Gerber

for

Change Moen for Pahlsson and change the 3rd to a 2nd and I would throw in SJ's 1st! I love it!

Last edited by cash on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

131Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Doesn't really help their cap issues, though...
Kuba+Gerber = Schneider+Moen
Hiller = McAmmond

132Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 pm

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:I feel like I have a headache after reading all that CBA legalese. I just don't see why all the teams in the NHL would pass on Schneider on the first pass of waivers, but then agree to trade for him and acquire a pick as well. I still remain of the opinion that the only way Burke's getting Schneider off of his roster is through re-entry waivers and claiming half the salary.

Kuba, McAmmond, Gerber

for

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6070&hubname=nhl-ducks

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2669&hubname=nhl-ducks
I am in love with hiller, i've got to be honest

133Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:56 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Look at the McCabe situation: give up a guy you don't want on a smaller contract, and take on a guy they don't want on a much larger contract, and take their 4th, too.

I could see something like that happening. You'd have to look around a few rosters to see who's got a $1-2 mil headache they'd like to get off their roster. Again, it's all about cap space for ANA right now: I think they'll go with the cheaper option. Plus, any player they acquire that way, they could banish to the minors and pay him his full salary there, provided that he's not over 35.

Or, yes, I could see them assigning Schneider to the AHL and then immediately putting him on re-entry waivers, to get someone to claim him. I think this is the last, last resort, tho'.

For the record, I like Burke's idea of making it so that you could retain a portion of a guy's salary so as to facilitate a trade. It would solve a lot of problems, and it would make trading easier in general.

134Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:Doesn't really help their cap issues, though...
Kuba+Gerber = Schneider+Moen
Hiller = McAmmond

Oh. Then that probably wouldn't work after all..

135Schneider waived - Page 9 Empty Re: Schneider waived Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

As I watch all this unfolding, I just can't help thinking about the schoolyard bully that crumbles when everyone stands up to him...

Sucks to be you, Burke...

Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum