GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Who Gets the 'A'?

+16
Flo The Action
beedub
Sp00nz
Urkie
asq2
Jordo
SensGirl11
Hockeyhero22000
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Mojo
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

POLL: Who Gets the 'A'?

POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_lcap234%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 34% [ 52 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_lcap23%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 5 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_lcap248%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 48% [ 74 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 14 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_lcap21%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 1% [ 2 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_lcap21%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 1% [ 2 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_lcap23%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 155

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

31POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:50 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

When I was in Switzerland to cover the world championship, I had a chance to speak to Heatley about the fan response he receives in Europe, especially in Switzerland, where he played briefly during the lockout. He is THE most admired Canadian player abroad ... at least he was on the recent worlds team. It's different in Ottawa. The "old guard," Heatley said, referring specifically to Alfredsson, Mike Fisher and Chris Phillips, own the town. He and Spezza hadn't been here long enough.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Scanley+Heater+wants+that+Clouston/1679901/story.html

32POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:No need. Your word is good enough for me. Smile

Oh...oh well, it didn't take long to find. cool)

33POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:57 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:When I was in Switzerland to cover the world championship, I had a chance to speak to Heatley about the fan response he receives in Europe, especially in Switzerland, where he played briefly during the lockout. He is THE most admired Canadian player abroad ... at least he was on the recent worlds team. It's different in Ottawa. The "old guard," Heatley said, referring specifically to Alfredsson, Mike Fisher and Chris Phillips, own the town. He and Spezza hadn't been here long enough.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Scanley+Heater+wants+that+Clouston/1679901/story.html
Man... it's like we're seeing a whole different Heatley... he gets demoted and then complains and ultimately asks to be traded.

Frig.

Prima Donna all the way...

See ya.

34POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:59 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:When I was in Switzerland to cover the world championship, I had a chance to speak to Heatley about the fan response he receives in Europe, especially in Switzerland, where he played briefly during the lockout. He is THE most admired Canadian player abroad ... at least he was on the recent worlds team. It's different in Ottawa. The "old guard," Heatley said, referring specifically to Alfredsson, Mike Fisher and Chris Phillips, own the town. He and Spezza hadn't been here long enough.

[url=http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Scanley+Heater+wants+that+Clouston/1679901/story.html
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Scanley+Heater+wants+that+Clouston/1679901/story.html[/quote[/url]]

In that context, he's right though. When you're established as a fan favourite, with a little PR from the local rags and you have the "good in the community" tag added you can pretty much do no wrong.

That greedy bum Redden could walk on water here, for example, even months into what would be his last season in Ottawa.

35POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:00 am

Neely4Life wrote:
cash wrote:Let's be honest here, this team has two leaders: Alfie and Phillips.

After that, there isn't any one player that fits the description of what an assistant captain should be.

The answer, from my perspective, is no one.

It's just a letter.

Thats right... and for that reason, there's no requirement for that letter to be worn by anyone.

You're a hockey player... You know that that letter means something to those players.

36POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:07 am

At times. IMO its more important for the players who dont wear to look over and see who is.

37POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:11 am

Neely4Life wrote:At times. IMO its more important for the players who dont wear to look over and see who is.

Exactly, and I don't want them looking over at someone who they shouldn't be looking up to. Until someone truly earns the 'A', I don't want anyone else wearing a letter than the two players that already do.

38POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

In that context, he's right though. When you're established as a fan favourite, with a little PR from the local rags and you have the "good in the community" tag added you can pretty much do no wrong.

That greedy bum Redden could walk on water here, for example, even months into what would be his last season in Ottawa.

Although, in that context he sounds like a loser because Alfie, Phillips and even Fisher earned the respect of the Ottawa fans by playing their hearts out for more than 4 years.

How is Heatley ever going to earn the respect of fans when he keeps bailing on teams because he isn't the 'alpha male'?

39POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 am

cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:At times. IMO its more important for the players who dont wear to look over and see who is.

Exactly, and I don't want them looking over at someone who they shouldn't be looking up to. Until someone truly earns the 'A', I don't want anyone else wearing a letter than the two players that already do.

Id say Fisher has earned it to this point, might not produce, but he will always be backing up every player on the bench and you always get an honest effort.

40POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Although, in that context he sounds like a loser because Alfie, Phillips and even Fisher earned the respect of the Ottawa fans by playing their hearts out for more than 4 years.

How is Heatley ever going to earn the respect of fans when he keeps bailing on teams because he isn't the 'alpha male'?

And that's exactly what most fans will read into it and I agree. I somewhat "get" what Heatley is saying too. I tend to be more objective on individual players though. Team first.

41POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:

Man... it's like we're seeing a whole different Heatley... he gets demoted and then complains and ultimately asks to be traded.

Frig.

See ya.

Yeah, and he stinks, too:

POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 PrimaDonna.1

42POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

No one stopped him from doing "good" or from being open and enthusiastic for taking interviews. Ottawa fans -- for the most part -- took him in with open arms. It was only a few Buffalo fans on HB during that series that used the M-word. The fans here glommed on to him and took him in as one of their own. Well, to an extent, of course. There's nothing like drafting a player and seeing him come up through the ranks. But, still, he did little off-ice to help out his cause.

43POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Anton Volchenkov - yes he may not speak great english, but he is a player that bleeds Sens red and does everything for the team.

44POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Man... it's like we're seeing a whole different Heatley... he gets demoted and then complains and ultimately asks to be traded.

Frig.

See ya.

Oh yeah, this is not painting Dany Heatley in a good light at all. It's painting him as a Prima Donna loser.

45POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Man... it's like we're seeing a whole different Heatley... he gets demoted and then complains and ultimately asks to be traded.

Frig.

See ya.

Oh yeah, this is not painting Dany Heatley in a good light at all. It's painting him as a Prima Donna loser.

this crap better not hurt us in negotiating the deal to get him out of here, damn Heatley running his big mouth, and to call out Clouston as a big problem, he has some nerve.

46POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Many 50-goal scorers are prima donnas. All you need is more than one buyer, and assuming the black list does not have 28 teams on it there will be a bidding war.

47POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:33 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i think it would be helpful to spezza to have but he isnt ready yet another little while of hard work and improved play but i also like the idea that cap put out about how kuba wants to stay and he demonstrated his quality last year mike fisher is the other good candidate i think he should get it because despite kuba working hard and wanting to stay mike has always given everything he had

48POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:52 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm voting for Spezza for several reasons:

He takes criticism and for the most part he doesn't let it get to him. He's upbeat, talks to the media and by all indications is starting to grow into a man. Also, Spezza's getting married this summer - and you cannot discount how much that means to the maturity of a young man.

Also, I think this might serve as a pretty serious wake up call to Spezza. I think he'll start to understand the urgency needed to play for a Canadian team - if he hasn't got it already. Under Clouston, Spezza was obviously a better player - and I think Clouston's a good enough teacher that we haven't even begun to see the impact he can have.

This is Spezza's team going forward - unless of course he decides that he also wants to be traded. He's the most talented player (perhaps behind Alfredsson) and like him or not - he wants to succeed.

It think the time has come to reward this guy for taking criticism at every turn and not letting it ruin him. Or babying out - like the older Dany Heatley.

Heatley was a joke as an alternate captain. An absolute joke. Spezza will not be, I can see it now, I think he'll be a team player and a team leader.

In fact, I think he already is.

Honourable mention to Mike Fisher. And to a lesser extent Filip Kuba. It was a close call for me.

Wow! Very good points. I personally voted for Fisher, but I'd be happy to see Spezza get it as well.

Having either one of these guys get it will make a huge difference for this team.

In a sense, I would prefer Fisher to get it to balance out the leadership throughout the whole team. Phillips and Alfie are both on the first unit together. Fisher is on the 2nd line. I think we need someone on the 2nd line for it to really work.

Also, Fisher is already an awesome leader, and I think he needs the A in order to feel that he can really tell the guys how it is. Without the A, he might be holding back a bit.

Fisher will kick anyone's Donkey if they aren't playing to the potential they should be, he'll take them out back and give them a good beating. The A will give him the opportunity to really say how he feels, IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum