GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Who Gets the 'A'?

+16
Flo The Action
beedub
Sp00nz
Urkie
asq2
Jordo
SensGirl11
Hockeyhero22000
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Mojo
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

POLL: Who Gets the 'A'?

POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_lcap234%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_rcap2 34% [ 52 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_lcap23%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_rcap2 3% [ 5 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_lcap248%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_rcap2 48% [ 74 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_lcap29%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_rcap2 9% [ 14 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_lcap21%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_rcap2 1% [ 2 ]
POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_lcap23%POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Vote_rcap2 3% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 155

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:35 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I guess we'll make this a poll. There are options aplenty - but only one answer in my eyes.

2POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm voting for Spezza for several reasons:

He takes criticism and for the most part he doesn't let it get to him. He's upbeat, talks to the media and by all indications is starting to grow into a man. Also, Spezza's getting married this summer - and you cannot discount how much that means to the maturity of a young man.

Also, I think this might serve as a pretty serious wake up call to Spezza. I think he'll start to understand the urgency needed to play for a Canadian team - if he hasn't got it already. Under Clouston, Spezza was obviously a better player - and I think Clouston's a good enough teacher that we haven't even begun to see the impact he can have.

This is Spezza's team going forward - unless of course he decides that he also wants to be traded. He's the most talented player (perhaps behind Alfredsson) and like him or not - he wants to succeed.

It think the time has come to reward this guy for taking criticism at every turn and not letting it ruin him. Or babying out - like the older Dany Heatley.

Heatley was a joke as an alternate captain. An absolute joke. Spezza will not be, I can see it now, I think he'll be a team player and a team leader.

In fact, I think he already is.

Honourable mention to Mike Fisher. And to a lesser extent Filip Kuba. It was a close call for me.

3POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:54 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I agree with the Spezza call. Like it or not, but this is Spezza`s team going forward. Alfie only has a few years left. Now is the time to start molding Spezza into a captain. He needs to learn this stuff from Alfie while he still has the chance.

SpezD, you also listed some other good reasons too.

4POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:07 am

I agree with all the reasons you suggested Spezza, but I voted for the A-Train. He deserves some recognition.

5POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:19 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think back about 2-3 years ago I posted somewhere (probably HockeyBuzz) that Spezza would be the Sens captain in a few years. It was not a popular opinion Smile

I'd give it to him now because I still feel he is the next Captain. As much as I love A-Train, he is not a leader on that team, at least not a vocal one. Perhaps his trouble with English has something to do with that. As for Fisher, not after last season. I pretty much discounted the other choices out of hand.

6POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Look what happened with Heatley when he got the "A" and in my oppinion didn't deserve it and proved that through the season. I don't think it's time to allow a player to grow into that roll and hope for the best.

In my view Spezza still hasn't earned the right to wear the "A" YET. I think it's time to make a real shakeup on this team and go with Kuba. He's shown a commitment to the team by wanting to stay here and get the job done. Getting rid of Heatley is a major shake up so take the opportunity to bring in fresh leadership. I would have suggested Smith except were not even sure he'll play next season, coupled with his age and contract status it just wouldn't work IMO. I do still like Fisher but, I'm no longer convinced he can be that leader.

It was hard not picking Volchie as well but, he can still lead by example and be a factor on and off the ice. I really think it's time for a fresh perspective in there. It shows that status quou (sp) just isn't good enough anymore.

- Unknown Author

7POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:25 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No Phillips on the list?

After the dismal two season's we've had... it's hard to pick a successor to the "A" to be honest...

I'll have to mull this over...

8POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:No Phillips on the list?

After the dismal two season's we've had... it's hard to pick a successor to the "A" to be honest...

Phillips already has an "A". Why would he be on the list? Are you thinking of stripping it from him and giving it to someone else?

- Unknown Author

9POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:No Phillips on the list?

Phillips already has an "A". Why would he be on the list? Are you thinking of stripping it from him and giving it to someone else?
Oh my god I'm retarded...

Need more coffee...

It's been so long since I've seen the Sens play... I'm forgetting them...

Nothing to see here... move on...

10POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:03 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I get the Spezza arguments. And it is tempting to give it to him hoping it will push him into a better player/leader, but from his play so far, I don't believe he deserves it. A leader and clutch player needs to know when to do it all himself, and when not to, a skill Spezza hasn't developed yet. I'm also not wild about giving him the 'A' based on potential and the possibility that he might become the player we want him to be. Because once you give it to him, it's awfully hard to strip it from him.

For those reasons, I'd give it to Fisher. He's a player, that even when he isn't producing offensively, he's still giving it his all, hitting guys, and will drop the gloves. He was often thrown under the bus last year, in my opinion undeservingly so, and i believe will come back to his potential offensive numbers this year, and will win the hearts of the fans back.

11POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:08 am

Earn it first for Spezza. Fisher deserves the "A" right now and has earned it time and time again.

I wouldnt have a huge problem giving it to Spezza to put a little more resposibility on him, but at the end of the day its just a letter.

12POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

For me, I think it comes down to one of Fish, Volchie or Spezza... these guys have been with the team for a significant time and giving the "A" to someone who's pretty new to the team doesn't seem right. I'm not sure if Spezza is ready for hte "A" yet though... and I'd hate to think that giving it to him will affect his play... tough choice but I think I'd go with Fish in the end.

13POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I voted for Fisher because it's inevitable that he will get it. Jason Smith is the right choice, but he's probably as good as gone.

I think "Fish" will look fantastic with the "A" skating really, really fast and taking bad angle shots directly at the goalies crest.

14POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 am

My vote is Smith if he plays... BTW I never heard a substantiated report that he is not capable/wiliing. Since that perception is floating out there I officially chose Fisher.

15POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Empty Re: POLL: Who Gets the 'A'? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:51 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:I voted for Fisher because it's inevitable that he will get it. Jason Smith is the right choice, but he's probably as good as gone.

I think "Fish" will look fantastic with the "A" skating really, really fast and taking bad angle shots directly at the goalies crest.

That's what I thought last season until they slapped it on Heatley. After that move I wouldn't be surprised no matter who they give the "A" to, unless of course they give it to me. Laughing3

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum