GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big Names On The Move...or Not?

+10
PTFlea
shabbs
wprager
Riprock
asq2
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
beedub
Cronie
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

How active will the trade/UFA season be?

Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap26%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap211%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 2 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap26%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap222%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 4 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap217%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 3 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap211%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 2 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap222%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 4 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_lcap25%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

76Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Hmm...looks like this list of UFAs contains few players of interest to Sens fans.

77Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:16 am

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Hmm...looks like this list of UFAs contains few players of interest to Sens fans.

1K!

I think after Ohlund and Bouwmeester, there's really not much of interest, and I'm not sure I see either in a Sens uniform.

I think we made our market splash by re-signing Kuba. We've never really been a big factor in FA, although that may change under Murray, but he's shown an unwillingness to hamper this team by adding another big contract, and a big contract is pretty much guaranteed if you want to get anyone of value.

If we want to stay get competitive with the Cap going down, we'll have to look to trades and the draft to do so IMO.

78Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:14 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:Hmm...looks like this list of UFAs contains few players of interest to Sens fans.

1K!

I think after Ohlund and Bouwmeester, there's really not much of interest, and I'm not sure I see either in a Sens uniform.

I think we made our market splash by re-signing Kuba. We've never really been a big factor in FA, although that may change under Murray, but he's shown an unwillingness to hamper this team by adding another big contract, and a big contract is pretty much guaranteed if you want to get anyone of value.

If we want to stay get competitive with the Cap going down, we'll have to look to trades and the draft to do so IMO.

I would tend to agree...in fact, with the comments coming out of the GMs meetings in Naples I have the sense that (a) a number of the aformentioned UFAs won't get new contracts; (b) some of the UFAs will re-sign for 1-year deals with their current teams.

Defensemen will probably get the biggest bucks this year, with Bouwmeester, Ohlund, Beauchemin, et al cleaning up.

I can see The Burke making a serious pitch for the Sedins, Ohlund, and JayBo...maybe Cammalleri, Moss and/or Franzen...and Thomas (though I can't imagine Boston not keeping him) or Khabibulin...after he fumigates his cupboard of contracts.

Agree with you that Bryan Murray won't do much shopping...he even might be trying to move one of his current big salaries.

But IMHO the Sens need depth...

On defense, Lee, Picard, Bell don't give them enough skill back there...Smith's injury may cut his time short. Karlsson, both Erik and Mattias, may or may not be ready. Wiercoch is still in college. Maybe they get lucky and draft a starter.

There are still the same questions up front as well, as to where the depth (especially on the right side and at center) and secondary scoring are. Shannon is good, Foligno is getting better, but Comrie is not Top 6 even though his girlfriend is...but not much to choose from on this list, though I have heard David Moss' name mentioned on this thread. Again, as you say, maybe a draft pick surprise.

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

79Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:49 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:

1K!

I would tend to agree...in fact, with the comments coming out of the GMs meetings in Naples I have the sense that (a) a number of the aformentioned UFAs won't get new contracts; (b) some of the UFAs will re-sign for 1-year deals with their current teams.

Defensemen will probably get the biggest bucks this year, with Bouwmeester, Ohlund, Beauchemin, et al cleaning up.

I can see The Burke making a serious pitch for the Sedins, Ohlund, and JayBo...maybe Cammalleri, Moss and/or Franzen...and Thomas (though I can't imagine Boston not keeping him) or Khabibulin...after he fumigates his cupboard of contracts.

Agree with you that Bryan Murray won't do much shopping...he even might be trying to move one of his current big salaries.

But IMHO the Sens need depth...

On defense, Lee, Picard, Bell don't give them enough skill back there...Smith's injury may cut his time short. Karlsson, both Erik and Mattias, may or may not be ready. Wiercoch is still in college. Maybe they get lucky and draft a starter.

There are still the same questions up front as well, as to where the depth (especially on the right side and at center) and secondary scoring are. Shannon is good, Foligno is getting better, but Comrie is not Top 6 even though his girlfriend is...but not much to choose from on this list, though I have heard David Moss' name mentioned on this thread. Again, as you say, maybe a draft pick surprise.

Have to agree, Toronto may very well end up as Vancouver East. Burke will have the cap space, and will likely want to make a big splash, so who better than the Sedins and perhaps Ohlund. I see him trying for Khabibulin

80Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:1K!

I totally agree. I could see Murray doing absolutely Diddle all on July1. Maybe he tries to sign Comrie, maybe he tries to acquire someone else, but in reality, he made his move by re-signing Kuba and acquiring Campoli.

Does that make me happy? Not extremely, but at the same time, I can see what he's looking to do - which is to create a solid 6 D-men with Jason Smith and Brian Lee possibly being shed when Karlsson and Wiercioch are ready in 2 years. In 3 years, you have a 1-2 punch (if you're lucky!) with Karlsson and Wier - then hopefully a good solid 3-4-5-6.

Although I could be completely wrong of course, but I believe he might be targeting a real top 6 guy to put the puck in the net when the Big 3 can't.

81Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:
Have to agree, Toronto may very well end up as Vancouver East. Burke will have the cap space, and will likely want to make a big splash, so who better than the Sedins and perhaps Ohlund. I see him trying for Khabibulin

You can bet on it. The Sedins and Ohlund - but no J-Bo (he couldn't handle it in TO IMO). He won't go for a goalie this summer, he'll wait and offer one of the crazy UFA from the summer after next big $$.

82Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You're probably bang on Heater.

However, am I the only one who's NOT afraid of Toronto, at least not yet...?

83Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:45 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:You're probably bang on Heater.

you could put all the superstars in Toronto and I still wouldn't be afraid, that blue and white maple leaf can make any good player go to Dung.

84Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not afraid, but I do see the opportunity for Burke to make the team pretty darn good, pretty darn quick. The sisters don't intimidate me, but they certainly have the talent to win games basically on their own. Ohlund doesn't do much for me personally - BUT - if you add all three pieces, draft properly, they could be pretty solid.

85Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

all good points dude, as always.

I've just got the sneaky suspicion that even though a good number of leaf fans (and homer-like pundits as well) who are viewing Burke at the Leafs savior are in for one hell of a rough ride... Just look at the team he INHERITED in Anaheim, and look at them now?!

86Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

I'm not afraid, but I do see the opportunity for Burke to make the team pretty darn good, pretty darn quick. The sisters don't intimidate me, but they certainly have the talent to win games basically on their own. Ohlund doesn't do much for me personally - BUT - if you add all three pieces, draft properly, they could be pretty solid.

IMHO one musn't let Leafophobia (or Burkeophobia) cloud one's assessment of what The Burke might be able to do in TO with an open chequebook and a shiite load of cap space.

Say he signs The Sedins, Cammalleri, Ohlund and Khabibulin. Out of the realm of possibility? If The Burke gets his cap down below $20MM in June (not impossible), it all could happen. Or substitute Cammalleri for Moss. Or a trade for Pronger.

The Burke has been given a mandate for change. That makes him dangerous.

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)

87Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hear what you are saying DTR, and your points are very valid; however Burke strikes me no differently than the big-bad wolf. He'll huff and he'll puff, but in the end, it's all smoke that comes out his arse...

Now, I'll humbly admit I'm wrong should be blow everyone away this off-season, but I'm not expecting any super grandiose...not this year anyway.

88Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:I hear what you are saying DTR, and your points are very valid; however Burke strikes me no differently than the big-bad wolf. He'll huff and he'll puff, but in the end, it's all smoke that comes out his arse...

Now, I'll humbly admit I'm wrong should be blow everyone away this off-season, but I'm not expecting any super grandiose...not this year anyway.

Burke is all about grandiose...he wheeled and dealed to draft the Sedins, and swung the deal that brought Pronger to the Ducks...a very dangerous man, that Burkinator.

89Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:45 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Another element to consider is whether some of the players who jumped to Russia's Kontinental Hockey League decide they want to come back to the NHL.

Jaromir Jagr and Ray Emery are two notable names.

Lyle "Spectors Hockey" Richardson has an interesting article on the subject on Fox Sports:

The KHL's money troubles could force some of their top players back into the NHL perhaps as soon as next season.

The Edmonton Oilers were rumored to have interest in landing Jagr during this season, leading to media and internet speculation he might try to find a way out of his KHL contract to return to the NHL next season.

Along with the Oilers, the N.Y. Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins -- two of Jagr's former teams -- might also have some interest in Jagr if the price was right.

Emery has been one of the KHL's top goaltenders this season and for NHL teams seeking depth between the pipes this summer he could be an enticing -- and perhaps affordable -- option.

Speculation has surfaced in Nashville over the Predators welcoming back their prodigal son Radulov.

Predators general manager David Poile recently mused over the possibility of Radulov returning before the end of this season. He wouldn't have to clear waivers as he's still under contract with the club.

Radulov's agent dismissed the notion, but declined to comment on his client's future plans, leaving the door open for a possible return next season.

Given the Predators' pop-gun offense this season, he would undoubtedly be welcomed back with open arms.

Another former NHL star who could return is Alexei Yashin, who, after being bought out of the remainder of his contract by the New York Islanders in 2007, has spent the past two seasons playing in Russia.

Some NHL general managers were reportedly willing to take a chance on Yashin in the past with a one-year contract but his supposed asking price of $4 million was deemed too expensive.

If he's unable to find a lucrative contract in Russia next season he might be willing to lower his price to return to the NHL.

The NHL certainly won't emerged unscathed from the recession as the salary cap for next season could flat-line and might decline significantly in 2010-11.

Still, it remains the preeminent professional hockey league in the world and will weather the recession far better than its struggling Russian competitor.

While the KHL remains an option for some NHL players, it will be predominantly either fading veterans or young players unable to adjust to the NHL game who'll make the trek to Russia next season.
With less money to toss around next season don't expect the KHL to win any bidding wars for the NHL's top free-agent talent.

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:53 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : url)

90Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:33 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Would these players have to pass through waivers, or is that only if they sign mid-season?

EDIT: That was probably a pretty stupid question. :oops:

91Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:33 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Would these players have to pass through waivers, or is that only if they sign mid-season?

EDIT: That was probably a pretty stupid question. :oops:

No, it's a fair question...my understanding is that Jagr, Emery and Radulov do not.

Jagr and Emery are free agents, and Radulov belongs to the Preds.

I think the Dubieliewicz situation was a little different, but not sure...it may have had something to do with Dubie coming back mid-season.

92Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

There's another wrinkle to this year's free agent crop: the RFAs, some of whom have been known to attract serious attention.

Here's Lyle 'Spectors Hockey' Richardson's list of notable Restricted Free Agents...

Notable NHL Restricted Free Agents - 2009.
Mar 16, 2009
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Spector/2009/03/16/Notable_NHL_Restricted_Free_Agents

The NHL's salary cap for next season is expected to flat-line and remaing around $56. 7 million and it is expected to drop substantially in 2010-11.

That's going to make life interesting for this summer's crop of restricted free agents both in re-signing lucrative new contracts with their current teams or attracting offer sheets from rivals.

Here's a list of this summer's most notable NHL RFAs:
ANAHEIM DUCKS: Erik Christensen, James Wisniewski.
ATLANTA THRASHERS: Colby Armstrong, Kari Lehtonen.
BOSTON BRUINS: Phil Kessel, David Krejci.
BUFFALO SABRES: Clarke MacArthur, Andrej Sekera, Drew Stafford.
CALGARY FLAMES: Dustin Boyd.
CAROLINA HURRICANES: Anton Babchuk, Jussi Jokinen, Tuomo Ruutu.
CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS: Cam Barker, Dave Bolland, Kris Versteeg.
COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS: Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
COLORADO AVALANCHE: Peter Budaj.
DALLAS STARS: Tobias Stephen.
DETROIT RED WINGS: Jiri Hudler.
EDMONTON OILERS: Gilbert Brule, Denis Grebeshkov, Ladislav Smid
FLORIDA PANTHERS: David Booth, Steve Eminger.
LOS ANGELES KINGS: Jack Johnson.
MINNESOTA WILD: Josh Harding.
MONTREAL CANADIENS: Chris Higgins, Guillaume Latendresse, Tomas Plekanec.
NASHVILLE PREDATORS: Ryan Jones.
NEW JERSEY DEVILS: Andy Greene, Travis Zajac
NEW YORK ISLANDERS: Blake Comeau.
NEW YORK RANGERS: Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Nikolai Zherdev.
OTTAWA SENATORS: Brian Elliott.
PHILADELPHIA FLYERS: None.
PHOENIX COYOTES: Petr Prucha, Scottie Upshall,Keith Yandle.
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS: Alex Goligoski.
SAN JOSE SHARKS: Ryane Clowe.
ST. LOUIS BLUES: Jay McClement.
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING: Lukas Krajicek.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS: Mikhail Grabovski, Justin Pogge.
VANCOUVER CANUCKS: Steve Bernier, Shane O'Brien, Kyle Wellwood.
WASHINGTON CAPITALS: Shoane Morrisonn, Eric Fehr

93Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've been re-thinking my position on RFA offer sheets. If salaries for new contracts are going to be lower because of the coming cap crunch, then this would be a great time for an offer sheet. Compensation is still based on the high cap, so if you can sign an RFA for less than last year's numbers, you will need to provide less compensation -- relatively speaking. For example, Meszaros almost got an offer sheet for $4M? That's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If the salary for a similar case gets dropped even a little, the compensation drops to a 1st and 3rd. If it drops substantially, to around $2.5M, then the compensation drops to just a 2nd. OK, so maybe Meszaros was not a great example, but surely there are some making $3M that would drop to $2.5M, and that's a difference between a 1st and 3rd and just a 2nd.

Mind you, if the compensation and salaries drop, then the home team is more likely to match, but it won't stop GMs from trying.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum