GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big Names On The Move...or Not?

+10
PTFlea
shabbs
wprager
Riprock
asq2
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
beedub
Cronie
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

How active will the trade/UFA season be?

Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap26%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap211%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 2 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap26%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap222%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 4 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap217%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 3 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap211%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 2 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap222%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 4 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_lcap25%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

106Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:I think Elliott will be resigned and Auld will be dealt. A team like Calgary needs a reliable backup and that is just what Auld is.

Elliott you can probably sign for 1-3 years at about 650-750K.

I seriously dont see how Spezza is going to fit into the team concept here in Ottawa and the new approch they are taking to defense. I also dont see how Smith is going to fit in with that contract and what he brings as the 5th, 6th D man. Between the 2 of them, thats freeing up almost 10 mil, not to mention the money you save dealing Auld and not having Brian Lee up here.

This team will soon go from being stacked up front to being stacked in the back end, goaltenders and defense. Ottawa will still have 2, 100pt guys up front and who knows what will happen with some kids in our organization. Thats how this team will be able to compete on a high level and for a long time.

Elliott is already making 942,400 and is an RFA. I don't think he'll sign for less money but rather get a raise in which case he could be a target for an RFA contract. As well I think Ottawa is required to offer him a minimum of 10% more on his contract to qualify him since he is an RFA.

107Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:35 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I think Elliott will be resigned and Auld will be dealt. A team like Calgary needs a reliable backup and that is just what Auld is.

I seriously dont see how Spezza is going to fit into the team concept here in Ottawa and the new approch they are taking to defense. I also dont see how Smith is going to fit in with that contract and what he brings as the 5th, 6th D man. Between the 2 of them, thats freeing up almost 10 mil, not to mention the money you save dealing Auld and not having Brian Lee up here.

This team will soon go from being stacked up front to being stacked in the back end, goaltenders and defense. Ottawa will still have 2, 100pt guys up front and who knows what will happen with some kids in our organization. Thats how this team will be able to compete on a high level and for a long time.

Elliott is already making 942,400 and is an RFA. I don't think he'll sign for less money but rather get a raise in which case he could be a target for an RFA contract. As well I think Ottawa is required to offer him a minimum of 10% more on his contract to qualify him since he is an RFA.

Elliott will not be making more than 1 mil a year, thats for sure. Plus, he could very well be the goaltender of the future (maybe present) for Ottawa. There is no way Elliott will be making more than, say, Halak in Montreal. That is his best comparable right now, which is around 750K I believe.

Ottawa not resigning Elliott would be an epic mistake, especially if its only a 250K diff.

108Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 pm

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Elliott will not be making more than 1 mil a year, thats for sure. Plus, he could very well be the goaltender of the future (maybe present) for Ottawa. There is no way Elliott will be making more than, say, Halak in Montreal. That is his best comparable right now, which is around 750K I believe.

Ottawa not resigning Elliott would be an epic mistake, especially if its only a 250K diff.

The question was rather a team targeting Elliott as an RFA if a deal is not done by July 1. I agree it would be a mistake for Ottawa not to resign him but at the same time if he keeps playing well he does hold the cards because he could always wait until after July 1 to see what happens on the market. He could chose to sign elsewhere if someone offered him a starters spot.

109Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:43 pm

I dont think any team will offer him the starters job honestly. Most teams are set in that aspect, teams are looking for a backup, and Auld is that guy IMO. Reliable, good team guy, no distraction, can win games, 1 year @ 1 mil. Prob worth a 4th rounder to a team like Calgary.

110Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:I dont think any team will offer him the starters job honestly. Most teams are set in that aspect, teams are looking for a backup, and Auld is that guy IMO. Reliable, good team guy, no distraction, can win games, 1 year @ 1 mil. Prob worth a 4th rounder to a team like Calgary.

I'll have to disagree with you. As previously mentioned there are several teams that could be looking for a starter: Boston, Philly, Oilers, Detriot, Colorado, Kings (maybe), and Caps (could do with an upgrade) could be in the market for a goalie.

Elliott has demonstrated he could be a starter and if on a team with solid defence would be a good cheap option for those up against the cap. A rival team could offer him enough money to lure him but yet still be a reasonable cap hit. If Murray can't get him signed before July 1 then he'll have to decide what to do before July 1.

111Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Honestly, there is no team in the NHL that would get in Ottawa's way and throw money at Elliott. Halak was the perfect chance for teams and no one did anything. I would be shocked if someone offered Elliott a contract.

112Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I dont think any team will offer him the starters job honestly. Most teams are set in that aspect, teams are looking for a backup, and Auld is that guy IMO. Reliable, good team guy, no distraction, can win games, 1 year @ 1 mil. Prob worth a 4th rounder to a team like Calgary.

I'll have to disagree with you. As previously mentioned there are several teams that could be looking for a starter: Boston, Philly, Oilers, Detriot, Colorado, Kings (maybe), and Caps (could do with an upgrade) could be in the market for a goalie.

Elliott has demonstrated he could be a starter and if on a team with solid defence would be a good cheap option for those up against the cap. A rival team could offer him enough money to lure him but yet still be a reasonable cap hit. If Murray can't get him signed before July 1 then he'll have to decide what to do before July 1.

Boston has Rask, even if both their current goalies take off (which would eliminate 2 other starting jobs) Rask is the next one there. Detroit will prob make a pitch for Fernandez IMO. Colorado and Washington are really the only 2 teams desperate for goaltenders and even then, there are some more expierenced guys available without having to give up draft pic(s) to get them.

113Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Honestly, there is no team in the NHL that would get in Ottawa's way and throw money at Elliott. Halak was the perfect chance for teams and no one did anything. I would be shocked if someone offered Elliott a contract.

How about Colorado or Toronto (just to name two)? Why wouldn't they be interested?

114Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Honestly, there is no team in the NHL that would get in Ottawa's way and throw money at Elliott. Halak was the perfect chance for teams and no one did anything. I would be shocked if someone offered Elliott a contract.

Halak was in a different time when there wasn't a huge need for goalies. This year there are several teams that could look to upgrade or replace current UFA ones.

115Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
How about Colorado or Toronto (just to name two)? Why wouldn't they be interested?

I'm not saying they wouldn't be interested at all, but I doubt they throw picks Ottawa's way to try to sign him to an offer sheet. Why bother? There will be more seasoned goaltenders available in the summer without poaching a 23 year old who may or may not turn out - giving up picks in the process.

If Toronto wants a quick fix, then sign Khabby to a 1 year. Or Colorado for that matter. Throw 5 million at him for one year and hope it works.

116Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
Halak was in a different time when there wasn't a huge need for goalies. This year there are several teams that could look to upgrade or replace current UFA ones.

I really like Elliott a lot, I think he'll be great. But he's a solid 2 years away from being a difference maker. If you're Colorado or Washington, you need to find a true upgrade from what you already have - now - and that's not Elliott IMO (yet!).

117Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Boston has Rask, even if both their current goalies take off (which would eliminate 2 other starting jobs) Rask is the next one there. Detroit will prob make a pitch for Fernandez IMO. Colorado and Washington are really the only 2 teams desperate for goaltenders and even then, there are some more expierenced guys available without having to give up draft pic(s) to get them.

Philly has no one after July 1. A team up against the cap like Detroit or Philly could make a move to offer money that doesn't cost a lot, but to much for Murray when he already has Auld and LeClaire. How well would Elliott do behind a defence like Detroits. I suspect a team could be willing to take a chance on a young goalie and give up the picks if the player signed long term. Now Elliott wont command 4m+ but if a team was serious Elliott could be offered more than 1.5+ and it would pull him out of Ottawa. I really don't see Murray overpaying Elliott when he now has Leclaire.

It will come down to Murray getting Elliott resigned before July 1 and if not I think there is a very dangerous risk that Elliott could be subject to an RFA contract if it meant he could be a starter elsewhere.

118Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

I really like Elliott a lot, I think he'll be great. But he's a solid 2 years away from being a difference maker. If you're Colorado or Washington, you need to find a true upgrade from what you already have - now - and that's not Elliott IMO (yet!).

Depends on if Colorado is looking to build around a young goalie who if he continues to play well this season could be worth the gamble. Especially if your team is solid defensively.

119Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Makes you wonder if Murray brought in Clouston and Elliott a month or 2 earlier if we would be in the playoff hunt now instead of 11pts out. It just puts Murray in a tough but good position if Elliott doesn't resign before July 1. Some teams make look at how well he has played so far and take a chance.

120Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Zero chance of an offer sheet that Ottawa wouldn't match. Nobody is going to pay this guy 2M based on 20 games of NHL experience. Don't worry about losing him. He'll get his 10% raise.

121Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

I'm not saying they wouldn't be interested at all, but I doubt they throw picks Ottawa's way to try to sign him to an offer sheet. Why bother? There will be more seasoned goaltenders available in the summer without poaching a 23 year old who may or may not turn out - giving up picks in the process.

If Toronto wants a quick fix, then sign Khabby to a 1 year. Or Colorado for that matter. Throw 5 million at him for one year and hope it works.

You just gave 5 million reasons why they might try to snag Elliott instead.

122Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Lehtonen and Harding are way more likely target.

123Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 8 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:You just gave 5 million reasons why they might try to snag Elliott instead.

Yeah, but Colorado can put it together in one summer and compete. They need a major league stop gap while they purge their system of Budaj and Raycroft (unless Budaj remains as backup).

Khabibulin, Fernandez, Biron, Roloson, Niittymaki, Lehtonen, Harding - are all more viable options for a club that wants back into contention.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum