GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big Names On The Move...or Not?

+10
PTFlea
shabbs
wprager
Riprock
asq2
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
beedub
Cronie
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

How active will the trade/UFA season be?

Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap26%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap211%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 2 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap26%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap222%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 4 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap217%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 3 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap211%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 2 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap222%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 4 ]
Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_lcap25%Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

46Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:48 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote: Sharp's the kind of guy that I think the Hawks would loathe to lose. Havlat's a non-factor, he's gone, so is Khabby. If they decide to move Sharp there'll be a lineup for sure (starting here hopefully). As for Huet...I don't see a market opening up for goaltenders for a while, especially when he takes more than 1/10th of the entire cap.

I think Chicago will work it all out. I think Tallon will keep Toews, Kane, Keith, Sharp, Huet (he made the bed, he has to hope for the best) and Campbell. 35 ish on 6 guys though. I don't see how that'll work. Plus there's that Versteeg guy, not sure how much he'll be asking/making.

Interesting though. Chicago's not the first and they won't be the last to face a pending cap crunch. Boston will lose a peg or two this summer I would imagine. Then Washington and Detroit, then San Jose (boy, one year they'll just get diddled) and so on.

I suppose you will add Ottawa to the list of teams caught in the cap crunch...

Just to set the record straight on Chicago, as everyone seems to be fascinated by them... 8)

Dale Tallon is negotiating with Martin Havlat, and both parties have said they want to find a workable arrangement.

Obviously, keeping a roster together and staying within budget parameters is tough, and will probably get tougher should the cap decrease. Dale Tallon and the Chicago brain trust which includes Rick Dudley, Stan Bowman and the illustrious Scotty Bowman, no doubt understand this, being the clever and well paid hockey men they are.

BTW, hoping other teams will 'lose a peg' is not good for your hockey karma...better to hope your team gains one, and congratulate your rivals on their success.

47Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:53 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote: Sharp's the kind of guy that I think the Hawks would loathe to lose. Havlat's a non-factor, he's gone, so is Khabby. If they decide to move Sharp there'll be a lineup for sure (starting here hopefully). As for Huet...I don't see a market opening up for goaltenders for a while, especially when he takes more than 1/10th of the entire cap.

I think Chicago will work it all out. I think Tallon will keep Toews, Kane, Keith, Sharp, Huet (he made the bed, he has to hope for the best) and Campbell. 35 ish on 6 guys though. I don't see how that'll work. Plus there's that Versteeg guy, not sure how much he'll be asking/making.

Interesting though. Chicago's not the first and they won't be the last to face a pending cap crunch. Boston will lose a peg or two this summer I would imagine. Then Washington and Detroit, then San Jose (boy, one year they'll just get diddled) and so on.

I suppose you will add Ottawa to the list of teams caught in the cap crunch...

Just to set the record straight on Chicago, as everyone seems to be fascinated by them... 8)

Dale Tallon is negotiating with Martin Havlat, and both parties have said they want to find a workable arrangement.

Obviously, keeping a roster together and staying within budget parameters is tough, and will probably get tougher should the cap decrease. Dale Tallon and the Chicago brain trust which includes Rick Dudley, Stan Bowman and the illustrious Scotty Bowman, no doubt understand this, being the clever and well paid hockey men they are.

BTW, hoping other teams will 'lose a peg' is not good for your hockey karma...better to hope your team gains one, and congratulate your rivals on their success.

To say that Ottawa isn't in a cap crunch would be a bold faced lie with Alfie, Heater and Spezz eating up around 20 M of cap space, plus with Fish and Phillips up there too, that is probably near 27 or 28 M for 5 players.

As for the hockey karma thing, you are most likely right on that one, but it would be hard for me to congratulate Montreal on any success, Toronto too for that matter, but I will try lol.

48Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:55 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:To say that Ottawa isn't in a cap crunch would be a bold faced lie with Alfie, Heater and Spezz eating up around 20 M of cap space, plus with Fish and Phillips up there too, that is probably near 27 or 28 M for 5 players.

As for the hockey karma thing, you are most likely right on that one, but it would be hard for me to congratulate Montreal on any success, Toronto too for that matter, but I will try lol.

I believe the Habs and Leafs may have already messed up their hockey karma beyond repair LOL...

49Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:02 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:To say that Ottawa isn't in a cap crunch would be a bold faced lie with Alfie, Heater and Spezz eating up around 20 M of cap space, plus with Fish and Phillips up there too, that is probably near 27 or 28 M for 5 players.

I believe the Habs and Leafs may have already messed up their hockey karma beyond repair LOL...

good point, and well, Burke, he will only make things worse, how long before he gets into a feud with Chiarelli, Gainey, or Murray? lol.

50Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:05 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote: I believe the Habs and Leafs may have already messed up their hockey karma beyond repair LOL...

good point, and well, Burke, he will only make things worse, how long before he gets into a feud with Chiarelli, Gainey, or Murray? lol.

Just wait until The Burke goes after draft picks and UFAs...

Maybe he will take Dustin Penner off Kevin Lowe's hands, eh...

51Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote: I believe the Habs and Leafs may have already messed up their hockey karma beyond repair LOL...

Just wait until The Burke goes after draft picks and UFAs...

Now wouldn't that be hockey justice/irony, he is definitely a burke type player, if there truly is such a thing, judging by Toronto fans opinions, Burke is going to fill this team with Brutes that can score. will that happen, we will see at the next draft, just a few short months away.

52Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:23 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote: Just wait until The Burke goes after draft picks and UFAs...

Now wouldn't that be hockey justice/irony, he is definitely a burke type player, if there truly is such a thing, judging by Toronto fans opinions, Burke is going to fill this team with Brutes that can score. will that happen, we will see at the next draft, just a few short months away.

IMHO The Burke will target, if available:

The Sedin twins
JayBo
Tim Thomas
Pronger (maybe in a swap for Kaberle or Kubina and some young'uns)
Penner (just to rub it in for Lowe)
Chris Neil

53Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:28 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

The Sedin twins
JayBo
Tim Thomas
Chris Neil

He will probably be in a long line of GM's for Pronger and Jay bo, has a bit of an inside track on Pronger though, mind you, that is a pretty ambitious list, does he have the cap room for all that? The Sedin's are rumoured to want around 6 or 7 mil each

54Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:42 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

The Sedin twins
JayBo
Tim Thomas
Chris Neil

He will probably be in a long line of GM's for Pronger and Jay bo, has a bit of an inside track on Pronger though, mind you, that is a pretty ambitious list, does he have the cap room for all that? The Sedin's are rumoured to want around 6 or 7 mil each

Right now The Burke has 41MM, but he'll move Blake and Kubina out giving himself another 9.5MM, so he will probably be working with a cap of 31 and change as his baseline in June.

Apparently the issue with The Sedins is not the money but the term. The Burke would probably give them the committment they are looking for, as he's the one who drafted them in the first place. In that case he might get them both for 10MM.

If he moves Kubina and Blake, and packages some young guys and prospects for Pronger, he'll still have money to sign JayBo.

Then of course, there's still that idea on the table of being able to retain salary in a trade without it counting against the cap.

Who knows what The Burke will do...?

55Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:50 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

The Sedin twins
JayBo
Tim Thomas
Chris Neil

Right now The Burke has 41MM, but he'll move Blake and Kubina out giving himself another 9.5MM, so he will probably be working with a cap of 31 and change as his baseline in June.

Apparently the issue with The Sedins is not the money but the term. The Burke would probably give them the committment they are looking for, as he's the one who drafted them in the first place. In that case he might get them both for 10MM.

If he moves Kubina and Blake, and packages some young guys and prospects for Pronger, he'll still have money to sign JayBo.

Then of course, there's still that idea on the table of being able to retain salary in a trade without it counting against the cap.

He would definitely be wily enough to pull it off, as much as I hate to admit it, I am silently rooting for him to fail and have the Toronto fan base/media roast him.

56Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:56 am

SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

The Sedin twins
JayBo
Tim Thomas
Chris Neil

He would definitely be wily enough to pull it off, as much as I hate to admit it, I am silently rooting for him to fail and have the Toronto fan base/media roast him.

Silently? I'll say it loud and proud. I hope his moves blow up in his face to the point where he is fired, and never works in the league again. An added benefit would be screwing the Leafs chances for the next two decades.

In all seriousness though, I think he'll make a real splash this summer. He always seems to find a way to pull that kind of stuff off. I'd also say that if the Sedin's want to stay together (do they file a joint tax return together or something wtf), it'll be Toronto or nowhere else. I don't know if other teams have the desire to bring them in and the cap space to do it.

57Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:58 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

The Sedin twins
JayBo
Tim Thomas
Chris Neil

Silently? I'll say it loud and proud. I hope his moves blow up in his face to the point where he is fired, and never works in the league again. An added benefit would be screwing the Leafs chances for the next two decades.

In all seriousness though, I think he'll make a real splash this summer. He always seems to find a way to pull that kind of stuff off. I'd also say that if the Sedin's want to stay together (do they file a joint tax return together or something wtf), it'll be Toronto or nowhere else. I don't know if other teams have the desire to bring them in and the cap space to do it.

well was trying to be a bit polite, but realy with Toronto, why should I really care, and well, apparently there are all intensive rumours that Cammalleri will end up in Toronto too, so Burke will have to have a magic wand or they have a special cap that no other team has.

58Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:03 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote: Silently? I'll say it loud and proud. I hope his moves blow up in his face to the point where he is fired, and never works in the league again. An added benefit would be screwing the Leafs chances for the next two decades.

The Burke is all about showbiz...he would probably love to snag the Sedins. Add a stud D-man and a goalie...and Burke basks in the admiration of Richard Peddie, Larry Tanenbaum and Howard Berger LOL...not to mention the unctuous Damien Cox and David Shoalts...they love 'Hockey As Hollywood' in T.O.... Ego rules the roost there.

59Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:07 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
hemlock wrote: Silently? I'll say it loud and proud. I hope his moves blow up in his face to the point where he is fired, and never works in the league again. An added benefit would be screwing the Leafs chances for the next two decades.

The Burke is all about showbiz...he would probably love to snag the Sedins. Add a stud D-man and a goalie...and Burke basks in the admiration of Richard Peddie, Larry Tanenbaum and Howard Berger LOL...not to mention the unctuous Damien Cox and David Shoalts...they love 'Hockey As Hollywood' in T.O.... Ego rules the roost there.

Am hoping all that ego blows up in their face, there are big time issues with that hockey club that won't be undone over night. (not unlike some of the issues in Ottawa), Wilson plays everything as it's the media against Toronto, well, according to Berger anyway. Burkie is bigger than the team, well his ego is anyway, so really, only two scenarios can happen, this team will turn it around and do well within the 5 to 6 years Burke has on his contract, or things will blow up on them and they will stay the status quo or worse.

60Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:16 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Am hoping all that ego blows up in their face, there are big time issues with that hockey club that won't be undone over night. (not unlike some of the issues in Ottawa), Wilson plays everything as it's the media against Toronto, well, according to Berger anyway. Burkie is bigger than the team, well his ego is anyway, so really, only two scenarios can happen, this team will turn it around and do well within the 5 to 6 years Burke has on his contract, or things will blow up on them and they will stay the status quo or worse.

The Burke will move whatever mountains (and contracts) he has to, to be anointed as the God Of Hockey in Toronto.

He will find a way to deal:
Kubina 5MM
Blake 4.5MM
Stempniak 3.5MM
Ponikarovsky 2.5MM
Mayers 1.4MM
and possibly Toskala 4MM
and Finger 3.5MM

That would get his cap down to 17MM.

They'll be calling him 'SlimFast' Burke by the time he's done...and then he'll bulk up on name guys.

If you saw the last Leafs-Sens game, there were a lot of kids in Blue. There will be many of those on the 2009/10 team. Ron Wilson has already given his entire club notice that they'd better show up ready to play next year or they are gone.

61Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:27 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

The Burke will move whatever mountains (and contracts) he has to, to be anointed as the God Of Hockey in Toronto.

He will find a way to deal:
Kubina 5MM
Blake 4.5MM
Stempniak 3.5MM
Ponikarovsky 2.5MM
Mayers 1.4MM
and possibly Toskala 4MM
and Finger 3.5MM

That would get his cap down to 17MM.

They'll be calling him 'SlimFast' Burke by the time he's done...and then he'll bulk up on name guys.

If you saw the last Leafs-Sens game, there were a lot of kids in Blue. There will be many of those on the 2009/10 team. Ron Wilson has already given his entire club notice that they'd better show up ready to play next year or they are gone.

I have heard that from Wilson already, he is imposing a physical fitness regime on the players, if they don't follow it and are not in shape for next training camp, count them out of the roster I am sure.

62Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:11 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:

Were he to put pen to paper on contracts for the Sedins and Bouwmeester, and perhaps Khabibulin, he wouldn't just be basking in the admiration of Peddie. He's have the compliments of a LOT of hockey people, as that would be instant contender team. Provided he kept Kaberle and Kubina, a top 4 d of Bouwmeester, Schenn, Kaberle Kubina . THat's one HELL of a top 4!

63Big Names On The Move...or Not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Names On The Move...or Not? Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
You mean you can't wait to see what happens to all GMs who signed big longterm deals?

Sort of, but more specifically I'm excited to see what Sather's gonna do with Redden, Gomez and Drury making 21 million.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum