GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vermette for Leclaire?

+18
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Mojo
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
beedub
Acrobat
Flo The Action
dennycrane
Phoenix30
Urkie
LeCaptain
PTFlea
davetherave
asq2
Riprock
rooneypoo
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

91Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:53 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:We just got Campolli, why do people want to see Russell here? So we can have the smallest blueline in the league and the softest group of forwards going?

Guys, Vermette wont be in Columbus unless its a 1st coming back.

You can never have enough puck movers, especially blazing fast ones with skill?

That would be my short answer. But y'all know I'd rather keep Vermette.

92Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:We just got Campolli, why do people want to see Russell here? So we can have the smallest blueline in the league and the softest group of forwards going?

Guys, Vermette wont be in Columbus unless its a 1st coming back.

You can never have enough puck movers, especially blazing fast ones with skill?

That would be my short answer. But y'all know I'd rather keep Vermette.

a full year of Vermette under Clouston might really be interesting, that is provided Clouston is still coaching? I am not sure what to suggest there.

93Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:12 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He absolutely should be coaching unless Columbus fires Hitchweiner or there's another substantial firing.

94Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:He absolutely should be coaching unless Columbus fires Hitchweiner or there's another substantial firing.

I agree, I know we have gone the way of inexperienced coach and look where it has got us, but hitch is in columbus and torts is in NYR, so forget anyone else but Clouston and give him the reins.

95Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:06 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I found something interesting at HFBoards:

Brian Elliott: 8-4-3, 2.73 GAA, .909 SV%

Justin Pogge: 1-3-1, 3.95 GAA, .855 SV%
Ondrej Pavelec: 6-9-0, 3.38 GAA, .892 SV%
Cory Schneider: 2-4-1, 3.38 GAA, .877 SV%
Jimmy Howard: 1-5-0, 2.76 GAA, .907 SV%

THe numbers speak for themselves^^.

96Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Haha, I just read that a second ago.

I re-iterate, if we're gonna get someone from free agency, make it someone amazing and let Elliot ease into the NHL.

Otherwise I'd bet good $$ that Elliot and Auld are excellent next year.

97Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:17 pm

marakh wrote:I found something interesting at HFBoards:

Brian Elliott: 8-4-3, 2.73 GAA, .909 SV%

Justin Pogge: 1-3-1, 3.95 GAA, .855 SV%
Ondrej Pavelec: 6-9-0, 3.38 GAA, .892 SV%
Cory Schneider: 2-4-1, 3.38 GAA, .877 SV%
Jimmy Howard: 1-5-0, 2.76 GAA, .907 SV%

THe numbers speak for themselves^^.

2 of those teams being playoff teams, 3 of them ahead of us in the standings.

People see the weak goals he lets in and say "he isnt ready" or "he cant be the number 1". ROOKIES let in those kid of goals, he shows how good he can be a solid goaltender in this league. Confidence is an issue for sure, but to say he isnt good enough is just being short sighted.

We will have a decent goaltending tandom next year for under 2 million dollars... That allows us to do a lot of other things and more flexability in terms of building a good, smart, and fast D.

98Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

My argument for bringing in someone like LeClaire isn't because of a lack of confidence in Elliott - in fact I believe that he will, in time, develop into a very capable #1 goalie. My concern is that Auld won't be able to handle the rigours of 50-55 games and thus Elliott will be pushed too hard too fast.

Two years of LeClaire (assume he'd be expendable at either next year's draft or the year after's deadline, and it's really less than two years) is just enough time for Elliott to be brought around properly.

99Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:52 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Leclaire fully expects to be traded.

"If I get traded, I won't be surprised. Usually, it's the older of the two (referring to his losing the starting job to younger Steve Mason) who leaves."

Text of the article here: http://www.corussports.com/hockey/pascal_leclaire_attend_bouger-20090302-1445331.html

Podcast interview with Leclaire here:
http://www.corussports.com/radio/audioplayer.php?file=1445331.mp3&mode=cn&id=1445331&date=20090302

Corus Sports also suggests that Nik Antropov, Brendan Morrison and Olli Jokinen are being considered--besides Vermette--as elements in a trade which might include Leclaire.

100Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:05 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:He absolutely should be coaching unless Columbus fires Hitchweiner or there's another substantial firing.

Quinn?

101Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:07 pm

Seriously, if its Vermette for Leclaire straight up, its a mistake IMO. Auld would have to be going the other way too.

Bring Gerber backup to finish off the year with Elliott.

Maybe if it was Vermette and a 2nd for Leclaire and a 1st, I could see it. Still, 2 more years at 3.8, big risk for an unproven goalie.

102Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Yet you're willing to go with Auld (proven inconsistent) and Elliott (still an unproven rookie)?

I'd argue that at least Leclaire's stamina would allow Ottawa to develop Elliott - he may not be a significant upgrade over Auld, but he gives flexibility, and that's worth the extra $2.8M.

103Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:Yet you're willing to go with Auld (proven inconsistent) and Elliott (still an unproven rookie)?

I'd argue that at least Leclaire's stamina would allow Ottawa to develop Elliott - he may not be a significant upgrade over Auld, but he gives flexibility, and that's worth the extra $2.8M.

Leclaire's stamina might be up to par, but it's irrelevant if he's injured.

I dunno. Tough call.

104Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Then he's on LTIR and he costs nothing.
We just have to make sure that Bingo is stocked.

105Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Besides - Luke (Richardson) is around to teach the D how to defend the goalie. Smith is here (for now). A-train, and maybe even Big Rig...

Goalies should be safe

106Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:38 pm

Acrobat wrote:Yet you're willing to go with Auld (proven inconsistent) and Elliott (still an unproven rookie)?

I really dont think he is that much of an upgrade over Auld, if at all. Yeah, I would rather go with those 2 because other things in Ottawa need to be fixed first and re-tooled/rebuilt.

The cap will be a problem for a lot of teams come 2010/11, and we dont want it to become one in Ottawa. Something will have to be done that year when teams are screwed and Ottawa might be able to take advantage of that as well when players are available all over the place, including goaltenders.

This team is no where near a cup so there is no need to take any major risks or give up players that are valuable and proven at a good price and short term contract.

107Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I had to laugh at TSN calling this a possible move for a veteran goaltender. 125 games over parts of 5 seasons, with a career (heh) SV% of .907 and GAA of 2.82. Compare that to Auld's 173 games, .905 and 2.77. I don't see enough of a difference.

108Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Agreed. Anyone who takes Leclaire's contract of CBJ's hands will be doing them a favour, and they would deserved to be compensated as such. It would have to be Leclaire + for BM to even thing about it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum