GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vermette for Leclaire?

+18
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Mojo
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
beedub
Acrobat
Flo The Action
dennycrane
Phoenix30
Urkie
LeCaptain
PTFlea
davetherave
asq2
Riprock
rooneypoo
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

46Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:06 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:Actually LeClaire has 2 years left after the end of this season. You could bring him in for 1 year with Elliott backs him up then move him after the 2009/10 season. A team maybe willing to trade for him with only 1 year left on his contract by then.

Yeah, I fixed that at the last second.

Why not spend that 3.8 (as well as the money we free up) on our defence. I think that has the potential to win us some games next year if we retool it.

I can see where you'd want to upgrade the G, but why not beat down some doors in the summer (if your really feel it's needed) and try to acquire someone like Vokoun (to use an example).

If Florida was to re-sign Anderson to an attractive package, maybe they feel the need to move Vokoun.

Or Anaheim with Giguere being pressured by Hillier.

Or Backstrom (6 million though I'm sure) being pressured by Harding.

Or Ellis from Nashville (not sold).

Or sign Khabby to a one year, 4 million.

Any of these excites me more than Leclaire to be honest.

47Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Even Fernandez, who was apparently a real arse in Minny would look good here for a year, but I'm sure he gets a long term somewhere.

48Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:09 am

Urkie

Sophomore
Sophomore

504Heater wrote:There's definitely a possibility that Elliot doesn't pan out, but there's also a really strong indication that he will. For once this organization needs to stick with a plan in goal - and that guy has to be Elliot. Even before The Hockey News list of prospects came out, I think we've all been shown what he can do. Has he blown us away? Not yet, but neither did Schneider in Vancouver and neither do many young goalies first entering the NHL. Especially when the kid is coming into this mess of a team we have.

There's really only a technical to achieve in Bingo - and that's winning a championship. He's done everything else in the AHL that can be done, now it's time to get him in there as a back-up full time. If Leclaire had one more year left at 3.8, then perhaps I'd be excited, but he has two more - and Elliot will have surpassed him by then IMO.

Not to mention that we should probably give credit where it's due. Auld has a 2.44 and a .913 in 33 games this season. If we can hand Auld 50 starts and have Elliot get the other 30, I would bet good $$ that both guys would have a combined GAA in the 2.50 range and a save % of around .912. Auld got burnt out earlier this year, but with a guy who can take every 3rd start, I can see him turning in a good year - ditto Elliot as his back-up. Then you can move Elliot into the 50-60 start range the year after. If something goes radically wrong, then you move on the free agency market next summer, but don't make a move now - especially not when you've invested so much time on Elliot.

I'm not saying I want this to happen right now and Murray may not either. Columbus is the team that's pushing hard right now to add Vermette for their playoff run. If Murray is smart, he can drive up the price and steal Leclaire and a draft pick away from Columbus on Wednesday.

It's all about making the playoffs though. Murray knows you need a solid goalie to get back into the playoffs and if there is any doubt about Elliott then he's going to look elsewhere this summer if he doesn't add anything before the deadline.

49Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:13 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Urkie wrote:
I'm not saying I want this to happen right now and Murray may not either. Columbus is the team that's pushing hard right now to add Vermette for their playoff run. If Murray is smart, he can drive up the price and steal Leclaire and a draft pick away from Columbus on Wednesday.

It's all about making the playoffs though. Murray knows you need a solid goalie to get back into the playoffs and if there is any doubt about Elliott then he's going to look elsewhere this summer if he doesn't add anything before the deadline.

Good points. If the Sens are struggling in goal by December of next year, I would expect a blockbusting deal for a high priced goaltender. He'll give them at least that long IMO, but yeah, I can potentially see him doing something by deadline next year (summer if he gets an offer he can't refuse).

Kris Russell and a 2nd rounder for Vermette - and I'm on happy street. Well...not really, I like Vermette a lot now and would rather keep him, but I'd be happy.

50Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:18 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:Actually LeClaire has 2 years left after the end of this season. You could bring him in for 1 year with Elliott backs him up then move him after the 2009/10 season. A team maybe willing to trade for him with only 1 year left on his contract by then.

Yeah, I fixed that at the last second.

Why not spend that 3.8 (as well as the money we free up) on our defence. I think that has the potential to win us some games next year if we retool it.

I can see where you'd want to upgrade the G, but why not beat down some doors in the summer (if your really feel it's needed) and try to acquire someone like Vokoun (to use an example).

If Florida was to re-sign Anderson to an attractive package, maybe they feel the need to move Vokoun.

Or Anaheim with Giguere being pressured by Hillier.

Or Backstrom (6 million though I'm sure) being pressured by Harding.

Or Ellis from Nashville (not sold).

Or sign Khabby to a one year, 4 million.

Any of these excites me more than Leclaire to be honest.

Alot of those guys are high priced guys limiting your ability to put money in your defence. Knabby would be the only one I would entertain. I like Leclaire because he is still young with lots of potential.

51Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 am

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

504Heater wrote:Good points. If the Sens are struggling in goal by December of next year, I would expect a blockbusting deal for a high priced goaltender. He'll give them at least that long IMO, but yeah, I can potentially see him doing something by deadline next year (summer if he gets an offer he can't refuse).

Kris Russell and a 2nd rounder for Vermette - and I'm on happy street. Well...not really, I like Vermette a lot now and would rather keep him, but I'd be happy.

I'd expect Murray to address the goaltending before training camp at least. He even said it himself, you make your big adjustments during the off-season.

In reality the big picture is not that clear, a lot of things are very much up in the air. A lot of players are being evaluated and things are not all set in stone. Murray said a few days ago that there are no untouchables and at this point that's the right mentality imo. If you can do something that improves your team you do it because these players haven't done much over the last year and a half to be called untouchables (I'm referring to the core here).

Last edited by Urkie on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

52Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:26 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Urkie wrote:The reason I'm high on this is because I'm thinking about the possibility of Elliott not panning out. I realize that he's only a rookie and so forth but what happens if he doesn't turn out to be the guy we need? Murray has to have a backup plan because he knows if this team doesn't make the playoffs next year then he's history. Leaving his job in the hands of an untested 24 year old rookie goalie may not be something he wants to do.

There's definitely a possibility that Elliot doesn't pan out, but there's also a really strong indication that he will. For once this organization needs to stick with a plan in goal - and that guy has to be Elliot. Even before The Hockey News list of prospects came out, I think we've all been shown what he can do. Has he blown us away? Not yet, but neither did Schneider in Vancouver and neither do many young goalies first entering the NHL. Especially when the kid is coming into this mess of a team we have.

In sticking to its plan, the organization has to develop the goalie properly. This doesn't mean platooning the rookie/sophomore with a goalie that has "Career Backup" tatooed on his forehead.

I agree that Elliott looks like the real deal, but there have been lots of first-round picks that looked like the real deal, and ended up doing the "crash-and-burn". It would be imprudent of Murray to not prepare for the season after next, and getting "The Grinch" would nicely do that.

Towards the end of 2010/11, when Elliott has proven himself nicely, and if Ottawa is not a solid contender, then LeClaire can be moved to a contender for picks (or to a bottom feeder, after the season, depending on the situation). In the meantime, Ottawa has two young, generally solid goalies who can drive each other, and they've upgraded (significantly) the play in the crease for a total of about $5m, representing about 8-12% of the total cap hit after projected reduction (depending on final numbers).

504Heater wrote:There's really only a technical to achieve in Bingo - and that's winning a championship. He's done everything else in the AHL that can be done, now it's time to get him in there as a back-up full time. If Leclaire had one more year left at 3.8, then perhaps I'd be excited, but he has two more - and Elliot will have surpassed him by then IMO.

What if he hasn't? Can Murray count on Auld to carry the team?
Or if Elliott is injured - can Auld carry the team for an extended stretch?

I'd argue that LeClaire is better insurance, and would work better in a 1a/1b scenario.

504Heater wrote:Not to mention that we should probably give credit where it's due. Auld has a 2.44 and a .913 in 33 games this season. If we can hand Auld 50 starts and have Elliot get the other 30, I would bet good $$ that both guys would have a combined GAA in the 2.50 range and a save % of around .912. Auld got burnt out earlier this year, but with a guy who can take every 3rd start, I can see him turning in a good year - ditto Elliot as his back-up. Then you can move Elliot into the 50-60 start range the year after. If something goes radically wrong, then you move on the free agency market next summer, but don't make a move now - especially not when you've invested so much time on Elliot.

This is his pattern on every team he's been on. He's a good goalie, just not what I see as the better of the two options.

There's nothing stopping Murray from moving for a UFA next summer irrespective of what happens - you can go over the cap by 10% signing FAs as long as you are back under by training camp. Moving LeClaire won't be hard, given his prior record (although to be fair, I would have thought that about Emery and Gerber, and Bryzgalov from a few yrs ago...)

53Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:46 am

There is no market for Goalies right now. Vermette for Leclaire could be done in the summer if BM wants to. If Columbus really wants Vermette for the playoff run it is going to cost more than an expensive, injured backup. Everyone please stop with the Kris Russell, BM picked up Campoli so I would imagine he is no longer interested in Russell.

54Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Urkie wrote:The reason I'm high on this is because I'm thinking about the possibility of Elliott not panning out. I realize that he's only a rookie and so forth but what happens if he doesn't turn out to be the guy we need? Murray has to have a backup plan because he knows if this team doesn't make the playoffs next year then he's history. Leaving his job in the hands of an untested 24 year old rookie goalie may not be something he wants to do.

There's definitely a possibility that Elliot doesn't pan out, but there's also a really strong indication that he will. For once this organization needs to stick with a plan in goal - and that guy has to be Elliot. Even before The Hockey News list of prospects came out, I think we've all been shown what he can do. Has he blown us away? Not yet, but neither did Schneider in Vancouver and neither do many young goalies first entering the NHL. Especially when the kid is coming into this mess of a team we have.

There's really only a technical to achieve in Bingo - and that's winning a championship. He's done everything else in the AHL that can be done, now it's time to get him in there as a back-up full time. If Leclaire had one more year left at 3.8, then perhaps I'd be excited, but he has two more - and Elliot will have surpassed him by then IMO.

Not to mention that we should probably give credit where it's due. Auld has a 2.44 and a .913 in 33 games this season. If we can hand Auld 50 starts and have Elliot get the other 30, I would bet good $$ that both guys would have a combined GAA in the 2.50 range and a save % of around .912. Auld got burnt out earlier this year, but with a guy who can take every 3rd start, I can see him turning in a good year - ditto Elliot as his back-up. Then you can move Elliot into the 50-60 start range the year after. If something goes radically wrong, then you move on the free agency market next summer, but don't make a move now - especially not when you've invested so much time on Elliot.

Sorry Heater, Auld could never handle 50 games at this level. He couldn't do 50 for the Moose when I was in Winnipeg.

Urkie, good defence of your position. I agree that Elliot has too many ?? marks right now. Ottawa needs someone proven in nets for the next couple. I just don't think it's Leclaire. I really cannot trust it to someone with a wonky ankle.

Backstrom, Khabibulin or Thomas.

And yes, you will have to pay a lot for the privilege for any of them to come. But they will bring stability that Ottawa has not had since pre-injured Hasek

55Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:There is no market for Goalies right now. Vermette for Leclaire could be done in the summer if BM wants to. If Columbus really wants Vermette for the playoff run it is going to cost more than an expensive, injured backup. Everyone please stop with the Kris Russell, BM picked up Campoli so I would imagine he is no longer interested in Russell.

I agree Robby, Vermette is at the top of his value right now and will only get higher. If teams really want this guy, we are either talking a mid level prospect plus a non first round pick (maybe I am really overvaluing Vermette, but if someone gives it, why not?)

Vermette does have some scoring tough, top face off guy and kills penalties.

56Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:36 am

I say we make a play for Backstrom, I think a 3 year 14M could get it done. I just don't see anywhere else other than Toronto that has a combination of Need/Cap Space to make it happen.

57Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:43 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:I say we make a play for Backstrom, I think a 3 year 14M could get it done. I just don't see anywhere else other than Toronto that has a combination of Need/Cap Space to make it happen.

Hopefully that one wouldn't end up in a bust, but honestly, Ottawa needs some stability in goal, was definitely behind Elliott, however, he did look pretty bad against Toronto. Does that mean his time is over in Ottawa, no of course not, listening to Neely is allowing me to be more patient with Elliott, saying that Brian has won at every level he has played at and he has the drive of a winner, that is good enough for me, we need more attitudes like that in the dressing room. Hopefully it's contagious.

58Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:50 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't like Leclaires save percentage, in particular. I think everyone knows where I stand on Vermette.

59Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:19 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:I don't like Leclaires save percentage, in particular. I think everyone knows where I stand on Vermette.

We all know you have a serious man-crush on Vermie, he's just so delicious lol.

60Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:44 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:There is no market for Goalies right now. Vermette for Leclaire could be done in the summer if BM wants to. If Columbus really wants Vermette for the playoff run it is going to cost more than an expensive, injured backup. Everyone please stop with the Kris Russell, BM picked up Campoli so I would imagine he is no longer interested in Russell.

He's only just begun to revamp this crappy D, Russell is really, really good. I betcha he's going for him as well.

61Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

He's only just begun to revamp this crappy D, Russell is really, really good. I betcha he's going for him as well.

well if we are throwing in Russell, hell, let's get Hamhuis too, now if you had to pick between the two, Hamhuis or Russel? I believe someone around here said too that Karlsson (Eric) was making the jump to North America next year as well.

62Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I don't like Leclaires save percentage, in particular. I think everyone knows where I stand on Vermette.

If I were prone to man-crushing, Mike Fisher would be my favorite player. And I'd have to change my name to Goodie Wilson.

63Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:54 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

If I were prone to man-crushing, Mike Fisher would be my favorite player. And I'd have to change my name to Goodie Wilson.

and at that point, you would be starting a feud with Carrie Underwood for his affection, oh the drama lol. DOH!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum