GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vermette for Leclaire?

+18
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Mojo
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
beedub
Acrobat
Flo The Action
dennycrane
Phoenix30
Urkie
LeCaptain
PTFlea
davetherave
asq2
Riprock
rooneypoo
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

121Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:54 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, I wasn't crazy about the thought of it. :^^^^:

Got pretty close to the actual deal though:

If I do this deal, then Columbus will have to part with a lot more. I
would have to insist that one of our 'crap' contracts go as well. Chris
Kelly for one - and I would want either a 2nd round pick for taking the
contract and taking the chance or Kris Russell.

122Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Wow, Neely, take a look at what you'd said, man. In one post you even said that Auld was better than Leclaire. Of course I know how you'll rationalize it -- was Leclaire had his ankle surgically rebuilt, so technically, right at that time, Auld was better.

123Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:04 am

At that time, ya, I def thought all that. I still think Auld is a solid goaltender and he really played well for us. We traded for Lecaire potential though, lets be honest.

124Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:42 am

marakh wrote:Why are we discussing this, we all know Bryan MUrray will not do that deal.

HEHEHE. I went back looking to see if I commented in this thread...nothing so far yet, but this is kinda funny. I do remember being against this trade before it actually happened, and for awhile after too.

125Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:11 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Facepalm

126Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:16 am

4077notch

Prospect
Prospect

Tuk Tuk wrote:Facepalm

My thoughts exactly

127Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 am

4077notch

Prospect
Prospect

Nelly4Life wrote:Id rather have Vermette to be honest with you, this was a rumour last year as well too... I dont buy it unless there is more coming the Sens way.

Leclaire has had 1 good, 1/2 season in the NHL... thats it. Leclaire hasnt proven a thing in the NHL, wasnt able to keep his starting job, and is ALWAYS injured

Collectivly Elliott and Auld are better, also cheaper. Elliott has loads of potential and give him some defense and get his confidence back, the Sens might have one of the top goaltending duo's in the league.

Im not against getting Leclaire, but for Vermette, 100% I am. That actually weekens the Sens IMO.

the deal is garbage IMO and has been a rumour that has been put out there for over a year now... not gonna happen

Tell that to Melnyk buddy. Its also 2 years committed to another marginal goalie... I thought we just got rid of Gerber. At least he had a cup ring coming here

Leclaire never stays healthy, ever.

I dont think Leclaire is better than what we have right now to be honest with you. I'll Take Auld at 1 mil for next year over a huge unknwon in Leclaire for 3.8 over the next two years. I also think Auld is a better goaltender than LEclaire on top of that.

Why not just resign Gerber, he was all the rage when we signed him too. People are always looking for something new in Ottawa, not something calculated or smart.

Leclaire has had 1 good 1/2 season, thats it.

No goalie can carry that defense into the playoffs, none. The team has a lot of issues, right now, goaltending is one of the last worries. The goaltending this year for the most part has been good, both Auld and Elliotts numbers are decent, no where near the bottom of the league and have both been ok.

There are no proven goalies that are on the market, none. Instead of the quick fix (which never works in Ottawa) they will develope Elliott and split time with Auld next year. There is absolutly nothing wrong with that. Put a better defense in front of those two and actually score some goals, the Sens will be alright next year.

There are also lots who never stay healthy. Why would you give up Vermette who's contract is less, is one of the Sens most complete players, for a guy who has hasnt done a thing in the NHL.

It doesnt make sense, the cap will be going down next year in a big way, and we have two goalies who have been ok on a bad team...

If people think that everything is going to be solved in one year, wow, unreal expectations.

Guys, Vermette wont be in Columbus unless its a 1st coming back.

And compare those quotes to these only 5 months later and no meaningful games played and zero by Leclaire. Believe it or not, Nelly is talking about the same trade.
Nelly4Life wrote:
This is easily the most stable and possibly tallented goaltending The Sens have ever had, by an absolute mile

It has never been this good, deep, young, and tallented. One trade for a marginal top 6 forward set The Sens up for the next 10 to 15 years in goal. It was one of the dumbest comments I have ever read on here and that's saying a lot.

Hasek/Emery wasnt this strong going into the season. Emery was a rookie with what, a game expierence? Hasek was questioned whether or not he could still do it and he didnt make it past Feb.

Our goaltending has never, EVER, been this strong.

Once again, this is as deep, tallented, and complete the goaltending has ever been in Ottawa

Not even close to a bad situation. There is only one position on this team where things are completly set and complete, that's in goal. There is no question who the number 1 is, who the back up is, and who the number 1 down in Bingo is...

Man, I could do this on about 10 different topics.

It actually says so much about Nelly who isn't afraid to jump down a new posters throat on something he thinks is wrong.

No wonder he does it so much, he doesn't even know what he likes.

128Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Because changing your opinion as time passes is a crazy thought, no?

At that point it wasn't known if PLeC's injury was going to heal right. We know that it has now.

129Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 am

notch, you've become infinitely annoying. The fact that you cannot be the bigger man and walk away makes you as lame as you think N4L is. Go away.

Everyone else, please...consider using this strategy in regards to notch:

Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Troll-10

130Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This is the grand total of what I had to say:

I had to laugh at TSN calling this a possible move for a veteran
goaltender. 125 games over parts of 5 seasons, with a career (heh) SV%
of .907 and GAA of 2.82. Compare that to Auld's 173 games, .905 and
2.77. I don't see enough of a difference.

and:

I thought he pretty much flat out said he will not be upgrading the goaltending position at the deadline. Maybe I dreamt it?

You can certainly see I wasn't fluffing back then. However I think my integrity (heh-heh) is intact. I wasn't crazy about Leclaire because of the risk factor, and I still really don't get it why he has such a great reputation. Other than shutouts, his numbers are not all that great, even in that one good season. It's like when Price was first drafted high and then got installed as the #1 over Huet. I just didn't get it. I just hope my apprehensions in this case are proven wrong. That's all they are -- apprehensions. I'm not going to sit here and say Leclaire is only going to play 80 games over the remainder of his contract, but I will say that, if that's all he can give us, I'm OK with Elliott filling for the rest.

As for losing Vermette, that hurt, but with Fisher as the #2 center for life he would always be a third line center/2nd line winger. 6th best face off percentage in the league and he was #3 on this team in total face offs taken.

131Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

4077notch wrote:Goodnight for now. I will wake up with a new IP address. Sweet.

Admit he is wrong, I will stop.

Wow. You've been waiting for that and when it finally comes, you miss it? When Neely said "At that time, ya, I def thought all that" that's as close to an admission of being wrong as you're going to get. Neely = Fonzie; it is physiologically impossible for him to say "I was wrong". Leave it at that.

And, by the way, when he said it sets us up for 10-15 years I'm pretty sure he was talking about Elliott/Lehner. Having Leclaire here as a the unquestionable #1 for two seasons will allow Elliott to grow into the role, rather than being thrown into it. You could see last year that playing every other night for 30 games was not something he was ready for. Playing backup for a goalie coming off significant surgery he is likely to get quite a few games but without the pressure of consecutive starts. His development is better served this way. And in 3 years Lehner may be pushing for a backup role.

Anyhow, my personal feeling is that 2 goalies will not give you 10-15 years unless one of them is projected to be a solid backup. You don't draft goalies with the expectation that they will be backups, but you never know.

All I can say is I know what Neely meant to say and I only poke mild fun at what he *actually* says once in a while.

132Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:12 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tuk Tuk wrote:Because changing your opinion as time passes is a crazy thought, no?

At that point it wasn't known if PLeC's injury was going to heal right. We know that it has now.

Sorry for playing the Devil's Advocate, but do we really? He's gone on record saying there are things he can no-longer do, and I don't think he was talking about performing in Swan Lake. I am suitably concerned because they surgically reconstructed his ankle -- he only has two of them and needs both to be effective. I will reserve judgment until I see 10-15 games from him (which may not be until the Olympics), but this is still a trade that I would not have made as a GM -- not because I *think* it will end in failure, but because I am very conservative in my approach when it comes to risk.

133Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:notch, you've become infinitely annoying. The fact that you cannot be the bigger man and walk away makes you as lame as you think N4L is. Go away.

Isn't calling someone a troll just like feeding him a nutritious meal?

134Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 am

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:notch, you've become infinitely annoying. The fact that you cannot be the bigger man and walk away makes you as lame as you think N4L is. Go away.

Isn't calling someone a troll just like feeding him a nutritious meal?

Perhaps. But I don't know if he realizes he's a troll. I think he fancies himself some sort of masked crusader that's going to singlehandedly rid the GMHockey world of the wicked evil that is N4L. That's just not going to happen, and the sooner he learns this, the better.

135Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks Prags, I just really dont care about what that says or thinks. I cant honestly believe he is trying this hard... I'm actually a little shocked and nothing really shocks me.

136Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:43 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:Why are we discussing this, we all know Bryan MUrray will not do that deal.

HEHEHE. I went back looking to see if I commented in this thread...nothing so far yet, but this is kinda funny. I do remember being against this trade before it actually happened, and for awhile after too.

And I don't know if you were there at the chat room, but I wasn't pleased with that deal, until I heard we got a 2nd rounder too. which make the deal even IMO,

EDIT : And until Leclaire proves himself or Lehner makes an impact (could be 5 years from now), we lose this trade. Potential-wise though, this trade could be the best Murray trade ever.

Last edited by marakh on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

137Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:47 pm

That's exactly it right there.

138Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 9 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i tried to find proof that i liked the deal but couldnt i know there are doubts but any player at any time could get another injury and end their career and yes the ankle won't be able to work as perfectly as the one that was not reconstructed ...i have had my wrist fixed it is not the same movement but it is easily compensated and since that time it hasnt been that hard

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum