GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vermette for Leclaire?

+18
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Mojo
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
beedub
Acrobat
Flo The Action
dennycrane
Phoenix30
Urkie
LeCaptain
PTFlea
davetherave
asq2
Riprock
rooneypoo
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

106Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:38 pm

Acrobat wrote:Yet you're willing to go with Auld (proven inconsistent) and Elliott (still an unproven rookie)?

I'd argue that at least Leclaire's stamina would allow Ottawa to develop Elliott - he may not be a significant upgrade over Auld, but he gives flexibility, and that's worth the extra $2.8M.

I really dont think he is that much of an upgrade over Auld, if at all. Yeah, I would rather go with those 2 because other things in Ottawa need to be fixed first and re-tooled/rebuilt.

The cap will be a problem for a lot of teams come 2010/11, and we dont want it to become one in Ottawa. Something will have to be done that year when teams are screwed and Ottawa might be able to take advantage of that as well when players are available all over the place, including goaltenders.

This team is no where near a cup so there is no need to take any major risks or give up players that are valuable and proven at a good price and short term contract.

107Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:22 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I had to laugh at TSN calling this a possible move for a veteran goaltender. 125 games over parts of 5 seasons, with a career (heh) SV% of .907 and GAA of 2.82. Compare that to Auld's 173 games, .905 and 2.77. I don't see enough of a difference.

108Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Agreed. Anyone who takes Leclaire's contract of CBJ's hands will be doing them a favour, and they would deserved to be compensated as such. It would have to be Leclaire + for BM to even thing about it.

109Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Leclaire said today on French radio that he wouldn't be surprised in the least to be traded by Wednesday, saying that "If I'm traded I won't greatly surprised. It's a shame because I love the city. But that's part of the sport, I won't be the first or the last. It's usually the older player to go (referring to Mason).

The plot thickens - or is Philly offering up a package for him?

110Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:42 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Murray seems lukewarm, at best, to the idea of dealing for a goalie at the deadline.

111Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I thought he pretty much flat out said he will not be upgrading the goaltending position at the deadline. Maybe I dreamt it?

112Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I thought he pretty much flat out said he will not be upgrading the goaltending position at the deadline. Maybe I dreamt it?

No you didn't dream it. I just didn't want to sound too forceful.

113Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wow... we should go through this thread again... was not a lot of love for Leclaire when these rumours started...

114Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm scared to look at what I may have said. Ahhhhh!

115Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:32 pm

I was pretty close on the actual deal. There would have to be more then Leclaire coming back and there was.

Leclaire does indeed have a lot to prove and it's all there for him to show it off.

116Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm scared to look at what I may have said. Ahhhhh!
Neely's got some good ones in there...

117Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:I was pretty close on the actual deal. There would have to be more then Leclaire coming back and there was.

Leclaire does indeed have a lot to prove and it's all there for him to show it off.
You weren't too keen on the Leclaire/Elliott paring when compared to Auld/Elliott...

118Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Def not, warmed up to it a little more obviously, but I sstill believe Elliott is the future for The Sens. That 2nd rounder coming back tohugh was a fairly big deal IMO. You basically got a 1st and 2nd for Vermette.

119Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:Def not, warmed up to it a little more obviously, but I sstill believe Elliott is the future for The Sens. That 2nd rounder coming back tohugh was a fairly big deal IMO. You basically got a 1st and 2nd for Vermette.
It's nice how it turned out in the end... but it is very interesting to go back and read through these things months after and we've all digested it some more...

120Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 pm

I think the vermette deal was better for the sens.

Vermette ok, but he needed a change of scenary, he got it, well see. Something like Ribiero in Montreal, if he would of stay he would of done diddles, but traded to anywhere, does good ... go figure!

121Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, I wasn't crazy about the thought of it. :^^^^:

Got pretty close to the actual deal though:

If I do this deal, then Columbus will have to part with a lot more. I
would have to insist that one of our 'crap' contracts go as well. Chris
Kelly for one - and I would want either a 2nd round pick for taking the
contract and taking the chance or Kris Russell.

122Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, Neely, take a look at what you'd said, man. In one post you even said that Auld was better than Leclaire. Of course I know how you'll rationalize it -- was Leclaire had his ankle surgically rebuilt, so technically, right at that time, Auld was better.

123Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 8 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:04 am

At that time, ya, I def thought all that. I still think Auld is a solid goaltender and he really played well for us. We traded for Lecaire potential though, lets be honest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum