GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08

+12
rooneypoo
shabbs
wprager
jamvan
SensGirl11
PKC
Riprock
Cronie
Number Twenty Nine
TheAvatar
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

91Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:55 pm

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

hemlock34 wrote:I can't believe the hands of stone Vermette has this season. It's unreal some of the chances he's missed. It's painful to watch.

That's true, and I don't want to defend him too much, because when it comes down to it, points are what matter. But, I believe his slump is not caused by lack of effort. He's getting the chances. He's putting himself in these scoring areas, he's getting shots, making some nice plays, he just cannot bury it. He needs psychologist, and i'm not even kidding. That's why I think Hartsburg is putting him in the shootout, hoping that he'll score and get himself out of this funk.

Could you imagine if he actually did started scoring, and scored on all chances he should be scoring on, he'd be near the top of this team.

Again I'm not trying to defend him too much, because when it comes down to it, he's not producing the points. I'm just happy it's not due to lack of effort. He's no Schaeffer.

92Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:23 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

This team is so close to finally playing a good all-around game. The defense is there like I anticipated it should be...they just need to capitalize on opportunities.

Vermette...what can I say...this guy is snake-bitten. I just don't understand what's wrong with this poor kid.

Spezza...maybe it is time to trade him. When your team is losing, you need your best players to step up and will their team to a win. Spezza hasn't brought any of that this year...and that makes me concerned. He just hasn't had a game breaking element this season, or in a while for that matter.

Heatley once again showed he can be absolutely dominant on the ice whenever he wants to be.

Why not trade Spezza down for some more pieces...not because he's playing bad...but maybe Heatley and Alfredsson are enough for top end talent on this team.

Why not trade Spezza for a lower scoring number 1 center, a top 4 defenseman and a prospect/pick. Then, let Alfredsson and Heatley dominate like we know they can. They'll still have a number 1 center feeding them the puck, but let them take over the game.

That's my take anyways.

93Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:29 pm

PKC wrote:This team is so close to finally playing a good all-around game. The defense is there like I anticipated it should be...they just need to capitalize on opportunities.

Vermette...what can I say...this guy is snake-bitten. I just don't understand what's wrong with this poor kid.

Spezza...maybe it is time to trade him. When your team is losing, you need your best players to step up and will their team to a win. Spezza hasn't brought any of that this year...and that makes me concerned. He just hasn't had a game breaking element this season, or in a while for that matter.

Heatley once again showed he can be absolutely dominant on the ice whenever he wants to be.

Why not trade Spezza down for some more pieces...not because he's playing bad...but maybe Heatley and Alfredsson are enough for top end talent on this team.

Why not trade Spezza for a lower scoring number 1 center, a top 4 defenseman and a prospect/pick. Then, let Alfredsson and Heatley dominate like we know they can. They'll still have a number 1 center feeding them the puck, but let them take over the game.

That's my take anyways.

I'd have to agree. The thing that is driving me crazy with Spezza is almost everytime he rushes the puck up ice he steps over the opposing team's blue line, makes a move and then loses the puck. Simplify your game Spezza. Sometimes the dump in is the better play. Our forecheck tonight was unreal, so I'd have no problem with him dumping the puck in the way we were forechecking.

94Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:39 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

To echo what 99% of you are saying, if this team brings it like this every game, we will start to put it all together soon. That was a solid game, especially defensively - the outlet passes were great, the forechecking was amazing. Bass was inspirational, I love this guy, pure energy and he's gonna put up some points at some point soon. Winchester is gold, love a guy that can dig like that. Zubov has major creativity - setting up Vermette for that chance was awesome. Picard was excellent.

Vermette had a ton of jump, but at some point, those have to go in. Kelly was fantastic tonight as well, getting in lanes, good forecheck, same with Donovan. In fact, it's hard to single out anyone tonight as being particularily average.

Spezza sucked, then turned it on, then started to give 'er away again, but as much as they all ****ed up on the 4 on 3, Spezza talking to himself to focus and then scoring was gold.

This team's close. As soon as Alfie, Spezza and Heatley start burying more than 1 a game between the three of them, the sooner the trickle-down effect will happen and guys like Vermette, Winchester, Zubov (hopefully) etc. will start to click.

Team's getting closer, that's the good news.

The bad news is, it's an OTL and it's basically the refs fault (although I refuse to use that as an excuse).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I padded my recording by 15 minutes and that wasn't enough. It cut out just as Vermette was taking his first strides. What happened? Was it at least a good attempt (Ruutu made a great move but Price made a better one -- was it at least that or did he shoot it right at the goalie?) Did the next shooter after Vermette win it or was the agony prolonged a little more?

Spezza was falling back to many of his old (bad) tricks. Trying to skate in all alone, dipsy-doodling. How many times did he lose the puck? There was one play where he started up the ice, lost it, Alfie retrieved it and almost passed to Spezza to take it out again. Then he decided to keep it himself, carried it up and lofted it softly in the corner just before crossing the blue line. It was almost like he was saying "Jason, this is how."

I agree, Picard was very good, but I must admit I did not notice Bell very much. Donovan and McAmmond had solid games, but these guys have to put it in at some point as well.

I disagree about Heatley being dominant. I'm not saying he was bad, he was actually pretty good. But for me to call a $7.5M player "dominant" he'd have to show me a heck of a lot more. How many shots did he have? This guys has a shooting percentage of around 20% - 1, 2, 3, 4, goal ... 1, 2, 3, 4, goal! It's not even math! I know it was a low-shot game but this guy should be leading this team, not tied with two others. (OK, he had 4 shots, which is better than the last few games -- I guess I'm still fuming at him over those.)

Even Dean and Gord were talking about Bell in the shootout. Why wasn't he there? Alfie is horrible on the shootout. He looked lie he was playing miniputt more than hockey out there. Don't know if it's confidence or that he truly sucks at it -- maybe he needs the thrill of competition? He could try asking the ref to try to tackle him as he comes down.

Nice moment for Spezza, but that was all it was -- a moment. I want a *GAME*.

I want some new blades out in the shootout.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Spezza was falling back to many of his old (bad) tricks. Trying to skate in all alone, dipsy-doodling. How many times did he lose the puck? There was one play where he started up the ice, lost it, Alfie retrieved it and almost passed to Spezza to take it out again. Then he decided to keep it himself, carried it up and lofted it softly in the corner just before crossing the blue line. It was almost like he was saying "Jason, this is how."

Actually, I noticed that play as well. I was more thinking about the lines of "I'm not passing it to you again dimwit; I'm too tired to go get it back another time".

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:
wprager wrote:Spezza was falling back to many of his old (bad) tricks. Trying to skate in all alone, dipsy-doodling. How many times did he lose the puck? There was one play where he started up the ice, lost it, Alfie retrieved it and almost passed to Spezza to take it out again. Then he decided to keep it himself, carried it up and lofted it softly in the corner just before crossing the blue line. It was almost like he was saying "Jason, this is how."

Actually, I noticed that play as well. I was more thinking about the lines of "I'm not passing it to you again dimwit; I'm too tired to go get it back another time".

That works too.

Pierre this morning was praising (well, maybe too strong a word) Spezza for working his Donkey off. I was a little confused because, apart from the nice moment in the shootout I thought this was one of the weaker games for Jason. I could be nice and say he was trying to do too much, but the truth is that he was trying to do everything himself. You can do that in the shootout, but you can't do it five on five.

98Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:11 am

wprager wrote:I padded my recording by 15 minutes and that wasn't enough. It cut out just as Vermette was taking his first strides. What happened? Was it at least a good attempt (Ruutu made a great move but Price made a better one -- was it at least that or did he shoot it right at the goalie?) Did the next shooter after Vermette win it or was the agony prolonged a little more?

Spezza was falling back to many of his old (bad) tricks. Trying to skate in all alone, dipsy-doodling. How many times did he lose the puck? There was one play where he started up the ice, lost it, Alfie retrieved it and almost passed to Spezza to take it out again. Then he decided to keep it himself, carried it up and lofted it softly in the corner just before crossing the blue line. It was almost like he was saying "Jason, this is how."

I agree, Picard was very good, but I must admit I did not notice Bell very much. Donovan and McAmmond had solid games, but these guys have to put it in at some point as well.

I disagree about Heatley being dominant. I'm not saying he was bad, he was actually pretty good. But for me to call a $7.5M player "dominant" he'd have to show me a heck of a lot more. How many shots did he have? This guys has a shooting percentage of around 20% - 1, 2, 3, 4, goal ... 1, 2, 3, 4, goal! It's not even math! I know it was a low-shot game but this guy should be leading this team, not tied with two others. (OK, he had 4 shots, which is better than the last few games -- I guess I'm still fuming at him over those.)

Even Dean and Gord were talking about Bell in the shootout. Why wasn't he there? Alfie is horrible on the shootout. He looked lie he was playing miniputt more than hockey out there. Don't know if it's confidence or that he truly sucks at it -- maybe he needs the thrill of competition? He could try asking the ref to try to tackle him as he comes down.

Nice moment for Spezza, but that was all it was -- a moment. I want a *GAME*.

I want some new blades out in the shootout.

Vermette outdeked himself. I don't think he had an actual shot on net. The Bingo line was impressive, as Foligno and Bass brought lot of energy and Zubov making some nice plays. I didn't really notice the defenceman all that much, which is to say they had a strong game. I think Bell might be here to stick. He looks more comfortable in his own zone, whereas in the preseason, he looked like he was just trying to not beat himself out of a job. His offensive skill is something we need from the back end.

Damn shame that Volchie gets screwed out of a goal by incompetent reffing. There is no other way to put it. Either Massenhoven thought they had control (they didn't) or he somehow doesn't understand after all these years that the offending team needs to take possession and not just touch the puck. Hell neither happened on that play. Nice to see Donovan and McAmmond rewarded with more playing time. Ruutu compliments them well and they had several where they just dominated their entire shift on the cycle. Production will come if that dominance continues.

The Habs are still a work in progress in my opinion. They aren't even the best team in the division. That honour belongs to a well rounded Bruins team. I think unless the Habs get bigger, they will get pushed around in the playoffs again.

99Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 am

Am I the only one who thinks McAmmond needs to be sat down or waived ?

100Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:28 am

RobbyJ wrote:Am I the only one who thinks McAmmond needs to be sat down or waived ?

Did you watch last nights game? He was everywhere, playing well in all zones. That line with Donovan and Ruutu seem to have some chemistry, and DOMINATED last night on the cycle. Good hard work like that leads to goals. We saw it earlier in the season with these 3. If anything, they need more ice time.

101Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 am

hemlock34 wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:Am I the only one who thinks McAmmond needs to be sat down or waived ?

Did you watch last nights game? He was everywhere, playing well in all zones. That line with Donovan and Ruutu seem to have some chemistry, and DOMINATED last night on the cycle. Good hard work like that leads to goals. We saw it earlier in the season with these 3. If anything, they need more ice time.
He is the worst forechecker on the team. He speeds in to the zone but turns away before contact, and he never takes a hit to make a play in the defensive zone. Softest player the Sens have had in years, which is a tough title to get.

102Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:51 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:

He is the worst forechecker on the team. He speeds in to the zone but turns away before contact, and he never takes a hit to make a play in the defensive zone. Softest player the Sens have had in years, which is a tough title to get.

Well you know, a couple of solid elbows to your head have a slight effect on you, right? McAmmond was terrific last night. He controlled the puck on the boards, along with his linemates. Made some great plays, positioned himself brilliantly on the ice and was just all around a smart player. Sitting him makes absolutely no sense.

Now sitting Phillips a game...completely different story.

103Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:02 am

RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:

I don't even know how to respond to this. So way off base.

104Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 am

PKC wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:

Well you know, a couple of solid elbows to your head have a slight effect on you, right? McAmmond was terrific last night. He controlled the puck on the boards, along with his linemates. Made some great plays, positioned himself brilliantly on the ice and was just all around a smart player. Sitting him makes absolutely no sense.

I agree, last night's game excluded (because I didn't really notice him for all the wrong reasons) I think he may be a candidate to sit.

105Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 am

PKC wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:

I am not saying that the 2 concussions didn't affect the way he plays, just that he is now about as soft as they come, they should name a Toilet Paper after him. He can easily be replaced. When Neil and Fisher get back I want to keep Bass and Zubov in the lineup, so the first choice for me is McAmmond. After that it gets a little tricky.

106Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:31 am

hemlock34 wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:

I don't even know how to respond to this. So way off base.
Simple question for you:

Bass or McAmmond ?

107Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:36 am

RobbyJ wrote:
PKC wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:

I am not saying that the 2 concussions didn't affect the way he plays, just that he is now about as soft as they come, they should name a Toilet Paper after him. He can easily be replaced. When Neil and Fisher get back I want to keep Bass and Zubov in the lineup, so the first choice for me is McAmmond. After that it gets a little tricky.

That's an altogether different story. Saying he should sit once we gets the others back is not the same as just sitting him now, while he is playing well, and we are shorthanded. Its a nice problem to have for sure. The Bingo kids will have to play lights out until these 2 return to even have a remote chance of sticking I'd say. Bingo will suffer without all these players, and McAmmond, Donovan and Ruutu have shown chemistry and a willingness to compete. The same can't be said for others on a consistent basis. The first player(s) to sit on this club should be Kelly and Vermette (despite last night's strong game.) Vermette has zero finish this year. It's almost hard to watch.

108Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 - Page 7 Empty Re: Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08 Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:37 am

When we are talking 4th liners, I prefer guys with some jam as opposed to the Dean McAmmonds of the world.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum