GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08

+12
rooneypoo
shabbs
wprager
jamvan
SensGirl11
PKC
Riprock
Cronie
Number Twenty Nine
TheAvatar
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

hemlock34 wrote:I don't understand why that play cannot be reviewed and overturned.

I heard that rule will be going under review by the Competition Committee. Instead of just touching the puck the team rece9iving the delayed penalty will have to clear their zone.

But even without changing the rule, the defending team is supposed to not *just touch it* but to actually gain control. Massenhoven can claim he thought they touched it but there's no way even he could think it was controlled.

Dung Diddle and all those other colorful words (I think I'm starting to sometimes curse now using those words in real life). And what's that other one, Wang Doodle or something.

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

I can't believe the luck of this club: Shleprock on ice!

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

hemlock34 wrote:I don't understand why that play cannot be reviewed and overturned.

Because a semi-competent refereee would not blow a call like that.

wprager wrote:

I heard that rule will be going under review by the Competition Committee. Instead of just touching the puck the team rece9iving the delayed penalty will have to clear their zone.

But even without changing the rule, the defending team is supposed to not *just touch it* but to actually gain control. Massenhoven can claim he thought they touched it but there's no way even he could think it was controlled.

Dung Diddle and all those other colorful words (I think I'm starting to sometimes curse now using those words in real life). And what's that other one, Wang Doodle or something.

He Wang it up. No way even in game speed he can say he thought a canadien had possession. It's just a Dung call against a team cannot afford Dung like that.

dirtydirtynorth wrote:wow was that ever a frustrating call... I feel worse of all for Volchie... The guy doesn't get too many goals... That would have been his 3rd tally of the year... He's becoming a sniper!!!!!!!

That's what I said to my wife while watching. I'm happier to see him score than anyone.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Because the whistle was blown. A blown-off goal can't ever be reviewed.

Yeah. I mean in theory, why if replay is available cannot an obvious blown call by a ref y reversed. I guess it undermines the refs.

Did I just answer my own question?

BTW, I like how Zubov is playing tonight. He's shown some jam and a couple of pretty plays and scoring chances.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Because the whistle was blown. A blown-off goal can't ever be reviewed.

I agree with you to a point -- the whistle had blown or at least the decision to blow the whistle was taken -- when Massenhoven thought the Habs gained possession.

But in this particular case there's absolutely *no* way he could have been that mistaken. He's either misinterpreting the rules (touch instead of possession), or I am misremembering the rule (possible), or he's incompetent, or he's corrupt.

I, for one, would wholeheartedly support the change of the rule to force the team to clear their zone.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock34 wrote:Yeah. I mean in theory, why if replay is available cannot an obvious blown call by a ref y reversed. I guess it undermines the refs.

Did I just answer my own question?

BTW, I like how Zubov is playing tonight. He's shown some jam and a couple of pretty plays and scoring chances.

Yep, I'm definitely noticing him tonight.

OK, let's get that one back.

Last edited by wprager on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock34 wrote:Yeah. I mean in theory, why if replay is available cannot an obvious blown call by a ref y reversed. I guess it undermines the refs.
I think it's more about continuity of the game. As soon as the ref blows the whistle (or intends to blow the whistle), play is dead and whatever happens after that is "not part of the game". The goal happened after the whistle. A replay review to over-rule it would be messing with events that occurred outside of the official flow of the game. It's asking the replay to reach beyond the game.

Hmmm... this is not coming out the way I had hoped...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What do you know, shoot the puck at the net and guess what happens

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Foligno is now ahead of Vermette in goals.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SWEET!

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I swear to god, If I ever run into Vermette, I'll give him $5 and I'll say to him "here kid, go buy yourself a goal". THis I swear to you.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Did Alfie just take Zubov's place? He was on for a full shift on McAmmond's line. Is Hartsburg double shifting him or just mixing up lines?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

What is Phillips doing this year?

TheAvatar wrote:What is Phillips doing this year?
nothing. Abso-fu**in-lutely nothing

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BAH!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum