GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game DAY Ottawa Vs. Montreal NOV 20, 08

+12
rooneypoo
shabbs
wprager
jamvan
SensGirl11
PKC
Riprock
Cronie
Number Twenty Nine
TheAvatar
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:zubov of the 4th line makes ABSOLUTE-FRANK-LY NO SENSE

Agreed totally there.

Bump Ruutu back to the fourth with Foligno and Bass, insert Zubov alongside Vermette and Kelly/Winchester, and move one of Kelly / Winchester back to play with McAmmond and Donovan.

At least that way you've got a 4th line you'll actually play for 8-10 minutes a game, plus a little more offence on lines 2 and 3. Zubov on line 4 means we won't play that line much, AND that he won't contribute offensively.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:zubov of the 4th line makes ABSOLUTE-FRANK-LY NO SENSE

Agreed totally there.

Bump Ruutu back to the fourth with Foligno and Bass, insert Zubov alongside Vermette and Kelly/Winchester, and move one of Kelly / Winchester back to play with McAmmond and Donovan.

At least that way you've got a 4th line you'll actually play for 8-10 minutes a game, plus a little more offence on lines 2 and 3. Zubov on line 4 means we won't play that line much, AND that he won't contribute offensively.

Two years ago when Spezza, Fisher and Vermette (our top three centres, depth-wise) went down to injuried Kelly filled in on the top line, and did more than just OK.

Why not try:

Heatley-Kelly-Alfredsson
Vermette-Spezza-Zubov
Donovan-McAmmond-Foligno/Winchester
Ruutu-Bass-Winchester/Foligno/Schubert

I, for one, am not ready to completely give up on Schubert. He was one of our favorites last two years, specifically because the role of fourth-liner and defensive fill-in was so well-suited for him. He can help the team in that role, short-term; long-term I think he's burned his bridges and will have to be moved.

Vandelay

Sophomore
Sophomore

Well, it seems everyone is dimmer than a fat cat about the team but I for one am intrigued about the projected lines. Not sure how much playing time they'll get but that 4th line is going to bring a lot of energy. All three guys have something to prove. The top line will be looking to step it up with the injuries, the second line has proven chemistry and also, no doubt, has a lot to prove. The third line will also bring a lot of energy and I've been very impressed with mcammond these last couple games. I also think Bell did very well in his first game.
It's interesting that we're complaining about these injuries but while they were healthy, both these guys were being ragged on constantly about not performing...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Vandelay wrote:Well, it seems everyone is dimmer than a fat cat about the team but I for one am intrigued about the projected lines. Not sure how much playing time they'll get but that 4th line is going to bring a lot of energy. All three guys have something to prove. The top line will be looking to step it up with the injuries, the second line has proven chemistry and also, no doubt, has a lot to prove. The third line will also bring a lot of energy and I've been very impressed with mcammond these last couple games. I also think Bell did very well in his first game.
It's interesting that we're complaining about these injuries but while they were healthy, both these guys were being ragged on constantly about not performing...

I don't mind the injuries at all, just as long as it's not Alfie or Auld. Neither Neil nor Fisher have been impressive on a consistent basis, and I welcome the chance given to the young kids. I'm just not sure that toughness (Bass replacing the injured Neil) is what we need. I understand that Smith may not be ready to be a regular top-six contributor, but how bad could he be for a couple of games?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Dimmer than a fat cat ?!?

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

ya...dimmer than a fat cat...as in everything is doom and gloom...as in we've seen brighter, better days. You know how many times I've looked at the standings thus far this season? 0. I know exactly where we are and how many points out of the playoffs we are because everybody is making a big deal out of it but, it really doesn't matter. Yes, the teams play is an issue but there is no better time to get through them than now. We'll know by the allstar break what this team is made of. Until than, I'm content waiting to see how it all unfolds. Trying to better our team through trades at this point is not going to work. The only way it does work is if we're taking on a salary dump or another team's problem player. Vermette's value is at it's worst right now and the same goes for Kelly and Schubie...we know at least Vermette and Kelly can play much better than they are right now...
Anyway, we'll see what happens after this game...maybe if they stink it up again, I'll be the fat cat crying for a trade. I just know going into the season, aside from the lack of a PMD, I liked the make up of this team so I'd like to see them at their full potential before I throw in the towel....but hey, that's just me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Vandelay wrote:ya...dimmer than a fat cat...as in everything is doom and gloom...as in we've seen brighter, better days. You know how many times I've looked at the standings thus far this season? 0. I know exactly where we are and how many points out of the playoffs we are because everybody is making a big deal out of it but, it really doesn't matter. Yes, the teams play is an issue but there is no better time to get through them than now. We'll know by the allstar break what this team is made of. Until than, I'm content waiting to see how it all unfolds. Trying to better our team through trades at this point is not going to work. The only way it does work is if we're taking on a salary dump or another team's problem player. Vermette's value is at it's worst right now and the same goes for Kelly and Schubie...we know at least Vermette and Kelly can play much better than they are right now...
Anyway, we'll see what happens after this game...maybe if they stink it up again, I'll be the fat cat crying for a trade. I just know going into the season, aside from the lack of a PMD, I liked the make up of this team so I'd like to see them at their full potential before I throw in the towel....but hey, that's just me.

The one thing a trade could do is shake this team up. Quite a few of them look like they are not playing with any fear. Will we get better players in return for Schubert, Vermette and Kelly? Individually, of course not. Taken together, though, and adding in a pick or prospect, we could get something substantial in return. And even if we don't, gettin rid of some of that (alleged) complacency could be better than getting Sundin.

Speaking of which, we could not get close to landing him withou shedding significant salary. Vermette+Kelly+Schubert would only be a start. Waiving Gerber would get us even closer.

Lastly, the economic doom and gloom and the slide of the loonie means next year the cap is down to $55M and they ear after that, who knows. Swapping Vermette/Kelly/Schubert for league-minimum rookies may be the only way to field a competitive team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Puck drop in 5, I can smell it.

Vandelay wrote:ya...dimmer than a fat cat...as in everything is doom and gloom...as in we've seen brighter, better days. You know how many times I've looked at the standings thus far this season? 0. I know exactly where we are and how many points out of the playoffs we are because everybody is making a big deal out of it but, it really doesn't matter. Yes, the teams play is an issue but there is no better time to get through them than now. We'll know by the allstar break what this team is made of. Until than, I'm content waiting to see how it all unfolds. Trying to better our team through trades at this point is not going to work. The only way it does work is if we're taking on a salary dump or another team's problem player. Vermette's value is at it's worst right now and the same goes for Kelly and Schubie...we know at least Vermette and Kelly can play much better than they are right now...

The flaw in your logic is that if we make a bunch of moves and still suck by the all-star game, it may be too late to salvage the season. Then of course we'll all be crying how we should have blown it up in the first place.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, that was quick.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BOOOOOOOOOOOOYAKASHAKA!!!!!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Zubov... so close...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Great pace by the Sens.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Missed the boarding call. Who on whom? Was it warranted?

Dung

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dang it! Would it kill them to win a faceoff on a PK once in a while?

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Missed the boarding call. Who on whom? Was it warranted?

It was an icing and Foligno hit the Dman after the dman had touched it up and the whistle had blown... I personally didn't think it was going to be called icing, but there you go...

PS it was good to see Bass jump right in there after Begin jumped on Foligno

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

anyone else notice the team deflate after the PP goal?

These guys need to take a page from Boston and play like they have broken glass in their hockey pants all 60 minutes.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum