GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME NIGHT: Sens @ Oilers - Thursday, Nov 13, 9:30pm (TSN5, RDS2)

+6
SensHulk
PTFlea
wprager
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:If Karlsson is as rancid as he's been lately, we don't even need to bother.  He needs to wake up - now.

Like many an other very young player thrust into the captaincy role, the weight of the position is clearly pressing on Karlsson. It's going to take him time to figure out how to handle that weight. He's just playing tentative right now, for the most part, more afraid to make a mistake than he is to push and to lead the offence. He's just got to get back to who he is.

I'm actually surprised it's affecting his on ice play. He needs to be pushed to rush that puck up the ice and dominate players that he's clearly better than - ie, most of the entire Oilers team.

I liked when they put Boro with him because Boro knows to stay back a bit and let him do his thing. I hope he settles down and begins playing up to his potential soon -because we're right Cussed without him.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:If Karlsson is as rancid as he's been lately, we don't even need to bother.  He needs to wake up - now.

Like many an other very young player thrust into the captaincy role, the weight of the position is clearly pressing on Karlsson. It's going to take him time to figure out how to handle that weight. He's just playing tentative right now, for the most part, more afraid to make a mistake than he is to push and to lead the offence. He's just got to get back to who he is.

He also needs a steady partner, not musical chairs.  I realize that Phillips cannot play the same minutes, so if you insist on playing them as a pair, get Phillips off the PK and PP.  On the PP they are going with one D anyway, and on the PK Phillips has lost a step and a half.  

I agree, that will help. And Phillips as his partner has not worked.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

He also needs a steady partner, not musical chairs.  I realize that Phillips cannot play the same minutes, so if you insist on playing them as a pair, get Phillips off the PK and PP.  On the PP they are going with one D anyway, and on the PK Phillips has lost a step and a half.  

For sure. Karlsson has the luxury of time. He can take all year to find his game or whatever other excuse you can find because players like Phillips are always around to take the heat.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'm actually surprised it's affecting his on ice play.  He needs to be pushed to rush that puck up the ice and dominate players that he's clearly better than - ie, most of the entire Oilers team.  

I liked when they put Boro with him because Boro knows to stay back a bit and let him do his thing.  I hope he settles down and begins playing up to his potential soon -because we're right Cussed without him.

He's got to get back to what made him a Norris winner in the first place -- and that was being the most dominate puck possession Dman in the league. When Karlsson is on, the puck is on his stick a lot and he's leading the rush and driving the offence. We haven't seen that consistently from him yet this year.

If you ask me, it's because he's got some mistaken sense that a captain needs to be something that he isn't, a more complete player and a more defensive presence. But the fact is that Karlsson dominates when he drives puck possession, and he's smart enough, fast enough, and good enough with his stick that he can be a good defensive presence ala Lidstrom without having to modify him game. He's forgotten how good he is, frankly.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Karlsson will figure out what makes him successful and that could take some time, same with Zibanejad, these guys aren't even 25 and are being asked to play major roles on the team without any real experienced depth behind them, it's going to be a 2, 3 year process for this team to get to where they want to be and form that identity they were looking for.

That said I like this team a hell of a lot better than last years, more effort, more physical, faster, and more responsible. There are tangible things to hold to here and the biggest being a clear direction of the team, youth, speed, and a complete game with and without the puck. The Sens are a team that is going to struggle early then come on mid season and late and even then, the struggles haven't been that bad. Growing pains are part of it and patients by the fans is needed, it's been 15 games and people are already questioning the players and the coach. People need to give it a rest.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'm actually surprised it's affecting his on ice play.  He needs to be pushed to rush that puck up the ice and dominate players that he's clearly better than - ie, most of the entire Oilers team.  

I liked when they put Boro with him because Boro knows to stay back a bit and let him do his thing.  I hope he settles down and begins playing up to his potential soon -because we're right Cussed without him.

He's got to get back to what made him a Norris winner in the first place -- and that was being the most dominate puck possession Dman in the league. When Karlsson is on, the puck is on his stick a lot and he's leading the rush and driving the offence. We haven't seen that consistently from him yet this year.

If you ask me, it's because he's got some mistaken sense that a captain needs to be something that he isn't, a more complete player and a more defensive presence. But the fact is that Karlsson dominates when he drives puck possession, and he's smart enough, fast enough, and good enough with his stick that he can be a good defensive presence ala Lidstrom without having to modify him game. He's forgotten how good he is, frankly.

Yep, exactly this.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Karlsson has seemed to pass the puck earlier than he used to...a lot of the time, it's off his stick before he even gets out of his own zone.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The weight of the Captaincy, the revolving door of partners, the possible injury... have we travelled back in time to when Statspadzza donned the "C"?!?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! GAME NIGHT: Sens @ Oilers - Thursday, Nov 13, 9:30pm (TSN5, RDS2) - Page 3 852933671

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:The weight of the Captaincy, the revolving door of partners, the possible injury... have we travelled back in time to when Statspadzza donned the "C"?!?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! GAME NIGHT: Sens @ Oilers - Thursday, Nov 13, 9:30pm (TSN5, RDS2) - Page 3 852933671

Don't forget his broken marriage....although that one is a legit excuse. Believe me I kinda know the feeling

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:Karlsson has seemed to pass the puck earlier than he used to...a lot of the time, it's off his stick before he even gets out of his own zone.

Could be a case of them wanting him to join the rush instead of leading it... I haven't noticed this personally but maybe. I think he's just trying to find some balance to his game but truth be told I think he's forcing things when he shouldn't be (pucks up the middle, keeping the puck in at the blueline when he should be retreating a little) and not being assertive when he should be, being harder on the puck even if that means swatting it away into a spot on the ice where the other team won't get a scoring chance.

Again, give it time, give it the season, maybe even two. Great players figure it out, he's a great player.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:The weight of the Captaincy, the revolving door of partners, the possible injury... have we travelled back in time to when Statspadzza donned the "C"?!?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! GAME NIGHT: Sens @ Oilers - Thursday, Nov 13, 9:30pm (TSN5, RDS2) - Page 3 852933671

Like I said in the other thread, having a guy like Methot with him could be huge and even if I don't believe Methot is much more if anything more than Boroweicki fact is Karlsson is comfortable with Methot and the value in that alone is probably more important than rating player A, B, and C. Like Ev said, Methot is going back in the second he is ready and that could be a game changer for Karlsson... just the comfort level and the trust. Not sure that's worth 5 x 5 on a contract but that's not here nor there.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

It's also because of his injury. Teams are exploiting him because when he is at a stop, they can easily get around him since he can't pivot well. He also doesn't seem as fast.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:

Like I said in the other thread, having a guy like Methot with him could be huge and even if I don't believe Methot is much more if anything more than Boroweicki fact is Karlsson is comfortable with Methot and the value in that alone is probably more important than rating player A, B, and C.  Like Ev said, Methot is going back in the second he is ready and that could be a game changer for Karlsson... just the comfort level and the trust.  Not sure that's worth 5 x 5 on a contract but that's not here nor there.

I don't think it is. Besides, if things are as bad on D as we are led to believe than you probably need Methot AND an upgrade on someone else.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:

Don't forget his broken marriage....although that one is a legit excuse.  Believe me I kinda know the feeling

He's moved on from that. The house is sold, and he's got a new one. "Women weaken legs" might be a factor.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My woman strengthened my legs, if you know what I mean (I don't know what I mean)>

Fact of the matter is we have no legit top-pairing left defenceman. We have a bunch of guys that, talent-wise, are 2nd and 3rd pairing at best.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well with the cap not going up you can pretty much bet Methot won't be getting 5 x 5 from anyone, teams are going to be trying to move guys with that kind of cap hit, not sign them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:My woman strengthened my legs, if you know what I mean (I don't know what I mean)>

Fact of the matter is we have no legit top-pairing left defenceman.  We have a bunch of guys that, talent-wise, are 2nd and 3rd pairing at best.

Don't argue with Mickey.

Women. Weaken. Legs!

GAME NIGHT: Sens @ Oilers - Thursday, Nov 13, 9:30pm (TSN5, RDS2) - Page 3 Rocky-iii-560-mickey

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Scrivver faces The Gregger. Try to top that storyline, Hollywood.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum