GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OPENING NIGHT-NJ Devils @ Ottawa Senators - New Baby and Engagement Edition

+12
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
PTFlea
Flo The Action
The Silfer Server
Hoags
shabbs
wprager
Ev
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I will just assume the Sens played like garbage because they are coming off that major road swing out west and the 1st game back is the toughest.  That said the Sens were lucky to win this game in a big way.

Karlsson - Despite 3 points was brutal... I mean Karlsson rookie bad when he was bad.  Yah, he showed up on the score sheet but that 2nd goal was all on him, gave the puck away regularly, and was just generally not mentally into the game.  

Anderson - Simply amazing, nothing else needs to be said.  The reason the Sens won and nothing else.

Gryba - noticeably bad throughout the season so far but last night especially.  Maybe it's because of the system the devils play he did not look like an NHL player last night.

Cowen - Needs to move his feet, he's taking lazy, lazy penalties and 2 were last night.  

Ryan & Turris - Great games, both skating and dangerous all night.

Conacher - Solid effort, really liking his game right now.

Overall - STOP TAKING PENALTIES!  There wasn't one questionable call that went against the Sens last night, not one.  The Devils didn't deserve anymore than they received either.  MacLean needs to figure this out.

Special thanks to Martin Brodure, Sens don't win that game without him.
They *did* play like garbage, for the most part, and the fact that they traveled on game day (which is unusual) probably had a lot to do with this. But Brodeur didn't make it easy to play bad because they beat him clean on the first three shots (the third one was Michalek hitting the post). When you play badly but are up 3-0 it's hard to kick yourselves in the a$$ to play better.

I didn't think Karlsson was garbage at all. From a physical point of view he looked more like his old self than recently. And his brain farts hopefully can be attributed to being tired after the long road trip and the aforementioned game day travel.

Gryba just shaved off his beard. Yep. That must be it. Samson got shorn. I thought he had a good game in Phoenix so I'm prepared to give him the Mulligan for last night and see if he progresses. Don't forget that he missed most of camp and has only played 4 games (counting last night's).

Cowen, not sure what to say other than I completely agree. He has been, at best, not noticeable and, at worst, very noticeable for the wrong reasons. I would recommend sending him down to Bingo for a 5 game conditioning stint and bringing up Borowiecki in the meantime.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Gryba's stick made contact with Elias' face... it's black and white.  It was a penalty.  And the tripping call on Gryba in the 2nd the guy didn't even really get his skates and that was called.  Either way, the reffing so far this year isn't the reason why the Sens are taking penalties more so than the other team.  Should we also blame the amount of shots given up and scoring chances to the refs as well?  

Sens have been soundly out played in a lot of games this year already and have given up the most shots against in the NHL.  This is on them.  People need to stop blaming the refs.
Like I said, lots of black-and-white stick-contact-with-face somehow gets missed against Sens players. Not all but a surprisingly high number. Also what was Gryba doing with his stick? Was he being lazy and allowing a lot of shots against? What the hell does your comment about them giving up a lot of shots have to do with anything? Crap gets called against them that is not called against the team they are playing. It's black and white. Just like the zebras shirts. Sure, the Sens have been playing poorly, but they've also played against teams that played poorly. The Leafs -- despite their record -- have not been playing very well, getting outshot; they get under 20 shots on goal and somehow they still draw penalties. There is definitely bias and you are a fool to deny it.

Now, all that said, the Sens should not be denying it, either. The refs have it in for them so they have to play extra squeaky clean, and they simple have not.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:Gryba's stick made contact with Elias' face... it's black and white.  It was a penalty.  And the tripping call on Gryba in the 2nd the guy didn't even really get his skates and that was called.  Either way, the reffing so far this year isn't the reason why the Sens are taking penalties more so than the other team.  Should we also blame the amount of shots given up and scoring chances to the refs as well?  

Sens have been soundly out played in a lot of games this year already and have given up the most shots against in the NHL.  This is on them.  People need to stop blaming the refs.
A lot of those shots come from power plays. They seem to be coming at the end of periods so the opposing team can get some momentum going into the next too. Senators have to be at the top of their game every game and that's definitely on them. But they are playing against a stacked deck before the puck drops pretty much every game.
Not buying it.  Sens are taking these penalties on their own merit.  
You don't have to buy it for it to be true.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

They miss Gonchar back there, Cowen and Wiercioch are way too inexperienced to be a 2nd pairing with Wiercioch playing his offside.

We shouldn't be too worried, they started on a tough west coast road trip and had little practice time. Training camp(as always) was more to give every scrub in our system an opportunity to play then to get to the team ready. I don't think they even practiced special teams.

Things will hopefully start improving as they're at home for a bit now and have time to practice. The team started playing like crap in the past and MacLean was able to right the ship.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

To me they weren't great but they didn't have to be. It never felt like the Devils were actually going to do anything. This was a game where 100% effort was not needed.

The best players were the best players and that's the difference between the two teams.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:I will just assume the Sens played like garbage because they are coming off that major road swing out west and the 1st game back is the toughest.  That said the Sens were lucky to win this game in a big way.

Karlsson - Despite 3 points was brutal... I mean Karlsson rookie bad when he was bad.  Yah, he showed up on the score sheet but that 2nd goal was all on him, gave the puck away regularly, and was just generally not mentally into the game.  

Anderson - Simply amazing, nothing else needs to be said.  The reason the Sens won and nothing else.

Gryba - noticeably bad throughout the season so far but last night especially.  Maybe it's because of the system the devils play he did not look like an NHL player last night.

Cowen - Needs to move his feet, he's taking lazy, lazy penalties and 2 were last night.  

Overall - STOP TAKING PENALTIES!  There wasn't one questionable call that went against the Sens last night, not one.  The Devils didn't deserve anymore than they received either.  MacLean needs to figure this out.

You missed spezza. Thought he had a great game, and I'm not a spezza sympathizer.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:

Like I said, lots of black-and-white stick-contact-with-face somehow gets missed against Sens players.  Not all but a surprisingly high number.  Also what was Gryba doing with his stick?  Was he being lazy and allowing a lot of shots against?  What the hell does your comment about them giving up a lot of shots have to do with anything?  Crap gets called against them that is not called against the team they are playing.  It's black and white.  Just like the zebras shirts.  Sure, the Sens have been playing poorly, but they've also played against teams that played poorly.  The Leafs  -- despite their record -- have not been playing very well, getting outshot;  they get under 20 shots on goal and somehow they still draw penalties.  There is definitely bias and you are a fool to deny it.

Now, all that said, the Sens should not be denying it, either.  The refs have it in for them so they have to play extra squeaky clean, and they simple have not.  
How do shots against and penalties relate to being lazy? Simple. You don't move your feet, you reach, you grab, or you miss. Reaching and grabbing lead to penalties being called, missing those checks and hooks or holds lead to shots and scoring chances. Fact is if you are working hard, moving your feet, and thinking out on the ice there is a better chance that you come away with the puck and with those battles without taking penalties or giving up scoring chances.

Sens are a lazy team right now especially in their own zone. It could be because they are tired and just need to be home for a little bit to get settled into the season but there is no question the penalties being taken by the Sens are legit. Even if all the penalties go called on the other team and the Sens (which never happens) the Sens would still be taking more than the other team each night.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Cowen and weircioch have both been atrocious, but I'm especially disappointed in cowen. Basically he most dependable dman we got right now believe it or not is phillips. There just doesn't seem to be any cohesion with any ofour d-pairings.

Give me Corvo next game over gryba.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
LeKing wrote:DIdn't see obviously, but Anderson being 1st star after allowing 2 goals is not particularly sexy to me
Obviously. He was ridiculously good. 1 goal on a 5 on 3, by the way, after making numerous spectacular saves.

I'm guessing that without seeing, if Lehner were first star after letting in two the assumption would have been that he won the game single handedly.
What I meant to say is that if even after allowing 2 goals he is the 1st star, I assume the Sens played like garbage.

I re-watched the game this morning, the defensive breakdowns happen too often and all our penalties are lazy. I thought Randy LEe was a god but we don't look in shape at all.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Cowen and weircioch have both been atrocious, but I'm especially disappointed in cowen.  Basically he most dependable dman we got right now believe it or not is phillips.  There just doesn't seem to be any cohesion with any ofour d-pairings.

What's so hard to believe? Nothing wrong with that guy except anyone over 29 has to go according to some people. Laugh1 Scorevo is the shizz.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Michallica wrote:

You missed spezza.  Thought he had a great game, and I'm not a spezza sympathizer.
Really solid. Thought his line was a little off and they didn't do much but at the end of the game they did capitalize on all their chances and make the big plays when they had to. Michalek struggled again though, no question. Conacher was hard on the forecheck, made things happen for sure, Spezza played a fantastic 200 foot game and kept things REALLY simple when he had the puck. Few times on the backcheck Spezza was the guy getting his stick in there and forcing the turn over and on the faceoffs he was dominate.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
LeKing wrote:DIdn't see obviously, but Anderson being 1st star after allowing 2 goals is not particularly sexy to me
Obviously. He was ridiculously good. 1 goal on a 5 on 3, by the way, after making numerous spectacular saves.

I'm guessing that without seeing, if Lehner were first star after letting in two the assumption would have been that he won the game single handedly.
What I meant to say is that if even after allowing 2 goals he is the 1st star, I assume the Sens played like garbage.

I re-watched the game this morning, the defensive breakdowns happen too often and all our penalties are lazy. I thought Randy LEe was a god but we don't look in shape at all.
I'm starting to think it's time for a clean sweep behind the bench and in the training staff. Team is undisciplined (head coach) and out of shape (Randy Lee, et al).

Time to bring in Iron Mike and Lorne Goldenberg.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:Cowen and weircioch have both been atrocious, but I'm especially disappointed in cowen.  Basically he most dependable dman we got right now believe it or not is phillips.  There just doesn't seem to be any cohesion with any ofour d-pairings.

What's so hard to believe? Nothing wrong with that guy except anyone over 29 has to go according to some people. Laugh1 Scorevo is the shizz.
Amazing how people jump down the throat of Phillips whenever he makes a mistake but games like last night go unnoticed. He's been solid for 15 years and is still a really solid NHL D man. He's a rock and has never been anything less.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Michallica wrote:

You missed spezza.  Thought he had a great game, and I'm not a spezza sympathizer.
Really solid.  Thought his line was a little off and they didn't do much but at the end of the game they did capitalize on all their chances and make the big plays when they had to.  Michalek struggled again though, no question.  Conacher was hard on the forecheck, made things happen for sure, Spezza played a fantastic 200 foot game and kept things REALLY simple when he had the puck.  Few times on the backcheck Spezza was the guy getting his stick in there and forcing the turn over and on the faceoffs he was dominate.
Correct. Denis Potvin said as much as part of his gold-standard analysis. Best on the tube. Period.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

MacLean hiimself said the penalties are lazy penalties.
Enough with the Leafs conspiracy whatever.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:MacLean hiimself said the penalties are lazy penalties.
Never said that there weren't legit calls. Just saying that the blatant non-calls and the additional marginal calls are brutal and that the timing of many calls are suspect. That's just a fact.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yup, getting a little sick of that as well. People are either just too dumb to notice or want to make up things that simply aren't true because they can't believe their team is this bad at this point.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Never said that there weren't legit calls. Just saying that the blatant non-calls and the additional marginal calls are brutal and that the timing of many calls are suspect. That's just a fact.
Well, if you don't hook or grab, the refs have no reason to call so timiing or not there is no penalty.
I have yet to see a Sens penalty this season where I said WTFFF??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum