GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OPENING NIGHT-NJ Devils @ Ottawa Senators - New Baby and Engagement Edition

+12
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
PTFlea
Flo The Action
The Silfer Server
Hoags
shabbs
wprager
Ev
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:I'd say Neely is right.  The team is playing sloppy and taking lazy penalties even MacLean said so.  That will hopefully straighten itself out.  I do think the Sens get little benefit of the doubt from the refs for whatever reason but they give the refs lots of easy textbook calls.

I'd say it's a good sign when we win games we don't deserve to win, that's how you ride out games when you play like Dung, whether it's your goalie who bails you out or the teams scores 5-6 goals.  These points will be money come April.

Things should settle down in the next month as the team gets more time together and more practice time.  MacLean is too good of a coach to let this Dung slide.  Maybe a person or two will get sent down and called up from Bingo if they have to, I'd say that is likely.
Filatov taking a hooking penalty when he mostly sits on the bench, dry as a bone, not breathing heavily -- *that* is a lazy penalty. If the guy is running around because he was out of position in the first place -- but still running around to the best of his abilities -- that is not a lazy penalty. Poor positioning, maybe out of shape (or tired after the road trip and game-day travel). Sure there are some lazy penalties, but not all.

As for PMac saying they are lazy, he says a lot of things. Sometimes it just an expression, you know? Plus he's just a fisherman from down East.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:Gryba's stick made contact with Elias' face... it's black and white. It was a penalty. And the tripping call on Gryba in the 2nd the guy didn't even really get his skates and that was called. Either way, the reffing so far this year isn't the reason why the Sens are taking penalties more so than the other team. Should we also blame the amount of shots given up and scoring chances to the refs as well?

Sens have been soundly out played in a lot of games this year already and have given up the most shots against in the NHL. This is on them. People need to stop blaming the refs.
I agree for the most part, although I have no idea what the hell Cowen did to deserve his first penalty other than be a large person. Conacher could probably complain that he draws 3 or 4 blatant penalties a game that aren't called, but with his diving antics last year it is no surprise. Karlsson's rep as a diver, deserved or not, limits how many penalties he draws as well.

On the other hand, how can one team have been on the negative side of the PP/PK time ledger for 7 years in a row?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Clouston did a lot to hurt the Sens rep with the refs, that's for sure. They need to earn the benefit of the doubt here and as of yet, they haven't.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's not one penalty last night where I thought it was a bad call. We're not skating well enough at all. Hooking is the easiest call to make and we even hit away with a couple last night.

Cowen is 100% lost right now. It's scary. Thank goodness we have Methot and Phillips to compensate until Cowen starts to play like an ahler at least.

There were a lot of positives though. Aside from the 4678 penalties we took, we looked good 5 on 5. Anderson was a friggin beast too.

Brodeur looks done. Pretty sad last night.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:Clouston did a lot to hurt the Sens rep with the refs, that's for sure. They need to earn the benefit of the doubt here and as of yet, they haven't.
Since the "NEW NHL" after the cancelled season, Ottawa has had 1 season where they have had more PP time than PK time, only +27 minutes for the high flying SC Finalists good for 12th in the rankings.

Look below, remembering that the truculent Toronto team missed the playoffs every year until 12/13, and then try to convince anyone with an IQ over 15 that the referees do not go into every game with pre-conceived notions about each team.

League Ranking on PP time vs. PK time
Year / OTT / TOR
13/14 30 18
12/13 27 23
11/12 27 6
10/11 29 2
09/10 27 2
08/09 22 5
07/08 28 15
06/07 12 17
05/06 14 12

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I feel bad for brodeur. Lost his dad too...wouldn't surprise me if that's had a lot to do with his performance so far.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think being 41 has a lot to do with it too and without the horses to play the def first style of play.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:I think being 41 has a lot to do with it too and without the horses to play the def first style of play.
they still do play defence first. They probably give up the least shots per game in the NHL

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:I think being 41 has a lot to do with it too and without the horses to play the def first style of play.
they still do play defence first. They probably give up the least shots per game in the NHL
Yes but they don't have Parise, Kovulchuk to put the puck in the net like they did the last 3, 4 years and they most certainly don't have the HHOF backend from the Stanley Cup days. Yah, it's the same system but without the horses.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Complaining about reffing is for losers, end of story.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Suck it up. Play the game. Win.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:Complaining about reffing is for losers, end of story.
BS. Complaining about reffing is the domain of the fan. If the players used it as an excuse, sure, whatever, but if you want to take my God-given right to complain about the refs, the opposing players or the fans of the Blue Team then you are going to have one freakin' war on your hands.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
BS.  Complaining about reffing is the domain of the fan.  If the players used it as an excuse, sure, whatever, but if you want to take my God-given right to complain about the refs, the opposing players or the fans of the Blue Team then you are going to have one freakin' war on your hands.
Your right left to Detroit with him

dance 

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:
wprager wrote:
BS.  Complaining about reffing is the domain of the fan.  If the players used it as an excuse, sure, whatever, but if you want to take my God-given right to complain about the refs, the opposing players or the fans of the Blue Team then you are going to have one freakin' war on your hands.
Your right left to Detroit with him

dance 
I spelled it with a capital-G so as to not confuse those still in the cult. But it looks like that wasn't enough. So let me change that to say "my inalienable right to complain".

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
OPENING NIGHT-NJ Devils @ Ottawa Senators - New Baby and Engagement Edition - Page 8 OldManYellsAtCloud

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum