GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick

+13
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
SensHulk
Hoags
sandysensfan
tim1_2
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
Ev
dennycrane
shabbs
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

61Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Anyone saw this guy play? Style? Strengths? Weaknesses?

62Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:14 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

So we trade Elliott for Anderson, Elliott takes Bishop's job, then Bishop replaces Anderson? Vertigo

63Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Goldman's take:

http://thegoalieguild.com/2012/02/ben-bishop-acquired-by-senators/

64Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not sure I fully understand this deal...

We have Anderson signed for another 3 years, he can play the lion's share of games - at least 60, so Bishop will get 20 starts barring injury. Then you have Lehner who'll get another year in Bingo and you hope is ready for backup duty the year after next. Then what do you do with Bishop? Re-trade him?

65Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand this deal...

We have Anderson signed for another 3 years, he can play the lion's share of games - at least 60, so Bishop will get 20 starts barring injury. Then you have Lehner who'll get another year in Bingo and you hope is ready for backup duty the year after next. Then what do you do with Bishop? Re-trade him?

Do we seriously care what happens in 2 years? You get good players when you can, you think about roster spots later.
The trade improves the team, period.

66Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Goldman's take:

http://thegoalieguild.com/2012/02/ben-bishop-acquired-by-senators/

That's a damn good take as usual.

67Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LeKid wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand this deal...

Do we seriously care what happens in 2 years? You get good players when you can, you think about roster spots later.
The trade improves the team, period.

I understand more now after reading GG's take that Lehner is not ready at all. I thought he would be, I thought they'd take him out of Bingo and make him work his arse off in practices while getting him 15-20 games, but I guess that's not gonna happen. Next year is Bishop's tryout with us I assume and the year after we'll have to re-assess. On a 1 year deal, the risk of a 2nd round pick seems a little heavy, but we'll see.

68Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

It never concerned you how many eggs we were putting in the Lehner basket ? What if he's not ready as quickly as we think ? What if he's never as good as we think ?

Don't forget we can trade him (or Andy or Lehner if we have to) down the road for a 2nd rounder+, depending on how things go.

Who knows ? we have more options for the future now.

69Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:It never concerned you how many eggs we were putting in the Lehner basket ? What if he's not ready as quickly as we think ? What if he's never as good as we think ?

Don't forget we can trade him (or Andy or Lehner if we have to) down the road for a 2nd rounder+, depending on how things go.

Yeah, it concerned me for sure. I think I too was leaning towards Lehner getting another year in the AHL, but I thought we'd get a more experienced backup. Whatever, let's see how it all shakes out (also find it odd to give Bishop a 1 year deal BTW, shouldn't we have done 2 years if we were willing to give a 2nd round pick?

70Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:03 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:It never concerned you how many eggs we were putting in the Lehner basket ? What if he's not ready as quickly as we think ? What if he's never as good as we think ?

Yep. Don't think any team ever sees having lots of depth at any position as a problem they wouldn't like to have.

If Bishop has a great year next year, you re-sign him and go from there. Maybe you trade him, maybe you trade Lehner, maybe you trade Anderson. Who knows. Thing is, you gain in depth and in options. If Lehner sulks and runs home, well, then you know what you had in the guy anyway.

There is no way, no how that this is a bad thing for the team.

71Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Yeah, it concerned me for sure. I think I too was leaning towards Lehner getting another year in the AHL, but I thought we'd get a more experienced backup. Whatever, let's see how it all shakes out (also find it odd to give Bishop a 1 year deal BTW, shouldn't we have done 2 years if we were willing to give a 2nd round pick?

Most backups won't sign a 1-year deal.

We got Auld mostly because he's the only one who would accept a 1-year, not because we thought he was good, that's become a problem with us in playoff position, Anderson injured and Lehner is not ready yet.

72Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I absolutely love this move. It was known that Bishop would be available and I think that a 2nd rounder is fair. We are adding depth and that's always good, it makes the others need to show up and play hard because there's another option available to the franchise now.

73Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Most backups won't sign a 1-year deal.

We got Auld mostly because he's the only one who would accept a 1-year, not because we thought he was good, that's become a problem with us in playoff position, Anderson injured and Lehner is not ready yet.

I guess my question is: if you're willing to commit a 2nd round pick to a player, why not insist in a 2 year deal so you have the upper hand instead of him being a UFA at the end of next season.

74Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

They're leaving the door open for Lehner.

They clearly want to see 1 solid year from Lehner in the AHL where he makes the majority of starts and plays consistently well, this year has been a disaster.

Teams will be desperate for goaltending by the deadline.

75Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:12 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

rooneypoo wrote:On the roster limit: I believe that goes out the window after the trade deadline passes.
Incorrect. Teams are allowed a maximum of 4 call-ups (not including emergency call-ups) between now and the playoffs. The roster-max of 23 remains intact.

76Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:17 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:They're leaving the door open for Lehner.

They clearly want to see 1 solid year from Lehner in the AHL where he makes the majority of starts and plays consistently well, this year has been a disaster.

Teams will be desperate for goaltending by the deadline.

They need to give Lehner a little more support down there because if they are expecting him to do more than he has this year in terms of numbers and wins... not gonna happen.

He needs to play a good 50 games in the AHL next year and he has to mature a little in terms of where to focus his competitive nature.

77Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:30 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Ben Blood and Fred Claesson will help, that's for sure. As will another year of development and off-season training for Gryba, Boro, and Wiercioch. Add in the forward talent of Prince, Stone, Pageau, and possibly Zib...
Next year's team should be much stronger than this year's

78Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick - Page 5 Empty Re: Ottawa acquires Ben Bishop for a pick Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:33 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

cash wrote:Ben Blood and Fred Claesson will help, that's for sure. As will another year of development and off-season training for Gryba, Boro, and Wiercioch. Add in the forward talent of Prince, Stone, Pageau, and possibly Zib...
Next year's team should be much stronger than this year's

It's tough for a team full of rookies to really do much in the AHL as well. You can add Wideman to that group as well. They need some vets who can do some damage and give the kids and extra push.

Is Claeson coming over as well?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum