GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Preseason #4 - MTL @ OTT - 25/09/2010 - 7:00 PM

+19
PKC
stempniaksen
SensHulk
Ev
asq2
Hobiesens
Bramlet07
Straight Shooter
TheAvatar
Riprock
Flo The Action
PTFlea
ddt
SensGirl11
LeCaptain
The Silfer Server
shabbs
wprager
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
I think the universal complaint against Lee is that he's been butter-soft up to now. That, and he has a muffin of a shot. Both of which combine to leave him in a rather in-between place -- not physical enough to be a defensive defender, and not lethal enough to be an offensive defender.

Lee will always be a bottom pairing guy, at best, because of those things. He can skate and he can pass and move the puck, for sure, but those other two limitations are always going to hold him to a 5/6 pairing guy at best.

Still, I agree, he's looked really good so far this year, and I think he'll probably start the year with us, in Kuba's spot, as a result.

This would be my exact post regarding Lee. And I'm definitely on board now in terms of how he's playing in pre-season. He appears to have turned his game around and become more confident rushing the puck and more aggressive in the defensive zone. He has to continue obviously though.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:
What are you guys on about with Butler? He plays the game at the NHL level, what exactly, if anything, is he supposed to be learning in the minors? Butler's on your opening day roster. As is Lee.

We don't have a space for Butler until the unfortunate injury to someone comes. He's your first call-up and he leap-frogs Shannon who now has no space on this team IMO. If there's not an injury by opening day, then Butler will start in Bingo and be called up, I can't see another way personally.

Then you make room.

Folign-Spezza-Alfredsson
Michalek-Fisher-Kovalev
Winchester/Regin-Smith-Butler
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

So maybe Winchester sees a lot of time in the box; or maybe moves to C and Smith sees some time in the box. And maybe some games Butler is in the box.

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

Why sit either of those 3 guys in the press box and stunt development though? We can wait until there's an injury (and there will be injuries) and then call Butler up after he gets a little bit of seasoning at the AHL level (I know I keep harping on this, but look at what it did for Karlsson).

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stempniaksen wrote:Why sit either of those 3 guys in the press box and stunt development though? We can wait until there's an injury (and there will be injuries) and then call Butler up after he gets a little bit of seasoning at the AHL level (I know I keep harping on this, but look at what it did for Karlsson).

Not only that but why have an unnesessary cap hit in the pressbox?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

stempniaksen wrote:Why sit either of those 3 guys in the press box and stunt development though? We can wait until there's an injury (and there will be injuries) and then call Butler up after he gets a little bit of seasoning at the AHL level (I know I keep harping on this, but look at what it did for Karlsson).

Playing key roles in the AHL >>> practicing in the NHL.

You just have to have the right attitude about why you are not with the big club at this moment.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Dash wrote:Then you make room.

Folign-Spezza-Alfredsson
Michalek-Fisher-Kovalev
Winchester/Regin-Smith-Butler
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

So maybe Winchester sees a lot of time in the box; or maybe moves to C and Smith sees some time in the box. And maybe some games Butler is in the box.

Nah, just wait for an injury, it'll come as we all know. In the meantime Butler will get some more pro experience and not be in the pressbox.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I'm sorry, but why is Zack Smith making the team over Butler? Smith will have Ruutu's spot on the team at some point either this year or the next season.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

GDT: Preseason #4 - MTL @ OTT - 25/09/2010 - 7:00 PM - Page 8 Price10

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:I'm sorry, but why is Zack Smith making the team over Butler? Smith will have Ruutu's spot on the team at some point either this year or the next season.

Because Smith and Butler aren't fighting for the same spot on the roster. Smith is fighting for a bottom-six spot and a grinding role (and has played great this pre-season) while Butler is fighting for a scoring role and he won't be out any of Alfredsson, Kovalev, Michalek, Regin, Foligno.

With the "injury potential" on this team I'm sure all of Butler, Wick and Hoffman will all make appearances this year and will all be ready to make big contributions next year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I'm sorry, but why is Zack Smith making the team over Butler? Smith will have Ruutu's spot on the team at some point either this year or the next season.

Z.Smith is ready for the NHL though - and the space that's open appears to be on Winchester's line, which is perfect for Smith. Let Butler start in the A, he'll be here before you know it.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

Z.Smith is ready for the NHL though - and the space that's open appears to be on Winchester's line, which is perfect for Smith. Let Butler start in the A, he'll be here before you know it.

You create spots for skilled players who can contribute on the score sheet and have the potential to be very good players, not for a guy who's job is done by no less than three other forwards on the roster.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

You create spots for skilled players who can contribute on the score sheet and have the potential to be very good players, not for a guy who's job is done by no less than three other forwards on the roster.

You mean creating a job for a scoring winger (Butler) when we have at least 5 others (Alfie, Kovalev, Regin, Foligno, Michalek) on the roster?

I understand your point, but Smith deserves the spot just as much as Butler and is taylor made for a bottom-six spot (unlike Butler) and has previous NHL experience.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ok so know Winchester off the team and put Smith AND Butler in the lineup. I don't see the need for Winchester when Smith can do his job and then some.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I think Winchester has shown enough this pre-season for us to keep him moving forward. I might be one of the only people osn this board who doesn't think Smith is as good as Winchester (not yet anyways) and that Winny has that 4th line spot locked down with his play so far.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Definitely Winchester is here to stay. The only option is to hold back Z.Smith and put Butler in, but I have to say, I'm not sure that's the best idea. Hold back Butler, it's not like he'll wilt in the AHL, if anything he should dominate and we can call him up an even more confident player.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Foligno's play has been impressive but I'll wait til the regular season to see how things go. I can't get excited over preseason scoring after Bochenski Laugh1

We've got too many NHL wingers this year for any of the kids to make it. I'd love to see Butler but I think he'll be the 1st callup from Bingo.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lines at practice are:

Michalek - Spezza - The Alfie
Foligno - Fisher - Kovalev
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Regin - Winchester - Smith

Scott MacArthur seems to think this is the regular season starting lineup.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Lines at practice are:

Michalek - Spezza - The Alfie
Foligno - Fisher - Kovalev
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Regin - Winchester - Smith

Scott MacArthur seems to think this is the regular season starting lineup.

He's probably right, Clouston will change that line up, and I imagine Regin and Foligno swapping places a few times at least.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum