GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!!

+15
The Silfer Server
beedub
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
shabbs
rooneypoo
mattshock
wprager
smash88
Cronie
Snuh
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
Mojo
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

I like the terms, I like the length, obviously I love the fact that he's signed.

If he retires before he's 40, will his number come off the cap?

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

2 mins... Gotta go check out sens.com/

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

damn it, I can't find a link to watch it live!! ARGH!!!

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

man, this sucks...is no one carrying it yet? I have Sportsnet and TSN on and no one has it. IT STILL isn't mentioned, nor a link, on the Sens homepage...

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Did anyone else read the TSN article where it said:

"The extension will pay the veteran forward as much as $22 million over
the term, with the first two years of the agreement expected to be much
higher than the final year to make the cap hit more team friendly."

TSN wouldn't make the 'mistake' as well which means that we must be missing something

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

beedub wrote:I like the terms, I like the length, obviously I love the fact that he's signed.

If he retires before he's 40, will his number come off the cap?

I do not think so. Players over 35 who sign new deals count for the duration. (to prevent ridiculous front loading and then low cap-hits).

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

dirtydirtynorth wrote:Did anyone else read the TSN article where it said:

TSN wouldn't make the 'mistake' as well which means that we must be missing something

I'm interpretting it sas "the final year of the contract more team friendly", which is another way of saying that the actual dollars paid will be lower. The "cap-hit" itself is constant. I can't find anything anywhere that says otherwise.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=254198&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

it's on TSN!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

dirtydirtynorth wrote:Did anyone else read the TSN article where it said:

I think they were just copying what Bruce had spouted...

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

It only makes the cap hit friendly in the 1st 2 years ...

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I think it means that the cap hit is the highest in the first 2 years, and less so in the last 2 years

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

For example if the first two years were for say 7 million a season and the last two were for 4 million a season, wouldn't the cap hit for the first two years be 7 million?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

beedub wrote:For example if the first two years were for say 7 million a season and the last two were for 4 million a season, wouldn't the cap hit for the first two years be 7 million?
No. The cap hit is a constant across the length of the contract. So $22M/4 years = $5.5M cap hit in each of the 4 years. That would have happened no matter how they spread the money. Front loaded, back loaded, side loaded, under loaded, upper loaded, whatever kind of loaded...

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Just look at Fisher. He's making $6M this year, but his cap hit is $4.2M because he'll be making less later in his contract.

Cap hit is the total $$s for the deal, divided by the length.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Details are now up on TSN.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=254198

21.6 over 4 years.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I know you can't pay less than 50% of salary less than the year before, so you can't pay $10M one year, then $2M the next, for a $12M over 2 the most you can front load is $8M and $4M the second year.

I like how they cheated the system here.

The contract, which includes a no-movement clause, pays $4 million in salary in the first year with a $3 million signing bonus, plus $2.1 million for the removal of the option years from his old contract for a total $9.1 million.

Alfredsson will then make $4 million in Year 2 with a $3 million signing bonus for $7 million, a third year salary of $2 million with a $2.5 million signing bonus for $4.5 million, and $1 million in Year 4.

So
2009-10: $4M + $3M + $2.1M
2010-11: $4M + $3M
2011-12: $2M + $2.5M
2012-13: $1M

ALFIE!!! ALFIE!!!

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
beedub wrote:For example if the first two years were for say 7 million a season and the last two were for 4 million a season, wouldn't the cap hit for the first two years be 7 million?
No. The cap hit is a constant across the length of the contract. So $22M/4 years = $5.5M cap hit in each of the 4 years. That would have happened no matter how they spread the money. Front loaded, back loaded, side loaded, under loaded, upper loaded, whatever kind of loaded...

Thank you. I just explained this, like, 2 pages back....

Just remember: a player's cap hit for the life of a contract CANNOT change and will always remain constant at one number for the life of the contract. The cap number is always the total amount of the contract divided by the total number of years in the contract -- no ifs, ands, buts, or exceptions. This is one of the founding principles of the new CBA.

That means that a player's salary for a given year means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when it comes to calculating what his cap hit is. Heatley's cap hit will be a constant $7.5 mil for the next 6 years even though we're paying him $10 mil this year and $5 mil in 2013-14; Spezza's cap will be a constant $7 mil for the next 7 years even though we're paying him $8 mil this year and $4 mil in 2014-15; and Fisher's cap hit will be a constant $4.2 mil even though we're paying him $6 mil this year and $3 mil in 2012-13.

Alfie's new deal (if the numbers currently being reported are correct) will be front- loaded -- I'm guessing something like $7 mil + $7 mil + $4 mil + $4 mil -- but his cap hit will be $5.5 mil over the life of the deal. That can't change, regardless of what Garrioch or anyone else says.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Look up. Alfie's new deal is posted. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum