GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!!

+15
The Silfer Server
beedub
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
shabbs
rooneypoo
mattshock
wprager
smash88
Cronie
Snuh
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
Mojo
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! Empty Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:15 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

We all knew it was coming, but here are the rough details.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/10/30/7247041-sun.html

The only detail that confuses me is what is says in the article: "If the contract decreases in the final two years, Murray would be able to spend money elsewhere because Alfredsson's cap hit would decrease. "

Is there a different cap hit for older players? I have never heard of it. When is a cap hit not an average for the entire length and term of the contract? Regardless, great news for the team!

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

mojo1016 wrote:We all knew it was coming, but here are the rough details.

The only detail that confuses me is what is says in the article: "If the contract decreases in the final two years, Murray would be able to spend money elsewhere because Alfredsson's cap hit would decrease. "

Is there a different cap hit for older players? I have never heard of it. When is a cap hit not an average for the entire length and term of the contract? Regardless, great news for the team!

I think that would be if he retires, the cap hit would be less? Either way, very good news!

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

BigRig77 wrote:

I think that would be if he retires, the cap hit would be less? Either way, very good news!

I'm pretty sure I read that when contracts are signed by players over 35, their cap hit counts even if they retire. It could just be that Garrioch is an idiot.

Last edited by mojo1016 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie Alfie

- Unknown Author

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

BigRig77 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it means, since his contract will be front loaded, the final 2 years of the deal will be less, therefore, Murray will have more money to play with in the final 2 years of the deal.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If I understand the Cap properly, it doesn't technically mean he'll have a smaller cap hit in the final 2 years but it does mean Murray's Cap situation with Alfie will be smaller than expected overall and I'm not sure of our Cap situation in 2 years but that initial Cap friendly number will look even better in a couple years.

- Unknown Author

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

It would be nice if he does sign today and then goes out and destroys Florida.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wonder if they don't just wait and do it before the Troops appreciation night though.

- Unknown Author

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, if I recall properly, everytime a Sen player signed an extension, that night they kicked Donkey!!

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mojo1016 wrote:It would be nice if he does sign today and then goes out and destroys Florida.

That would be very nice!

I always thought they made an average of all the years in the contract and that was the cap hit...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe Bruce should have RooneyPoo proof-read all his articles. It's misleading at best.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

ALFIE!! ALFIE!!! ALFIE!!!!! ALFIE!!! ALFIE!!!!

GOLDEN GOD!!

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Maybe Bruce should have RooneyPoo proof-read all his articles. It's misleading at best.

LOL. Totally. Smile

There's nothing fancy about determining the cap hit figure: it's the total value of the contract divided by the total number of years in the contract. Garrioch's statement sure seems to imply something else entirely, i.e., that a cap figure could shrink somehow, which is not possible. A player's cap hit is always constant and unchanging over the life of a contract.

Someone was mentioning something about 'what if Alfie retires?' As I understand it, any team who signs a 35+-year-old player to a contract, who then retires, is stuck with the cap hit. That's *only* if he retires: he would still be eligible, I believe, for LTIR.

Still, how awesome is Alfie? A cap hit of about $5 mil a yr for 4 years? What a guy. Seriously, every Sen should for the next 4 years should have to negotiate his contract with Alfie in the room and, if he's seeking major bucks, try to justify why he deserves more than Alfie -- with him in the room staring down at him.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TSN has picked up the story too...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=254198

They also mention the "front loading" to make the cap hit easier. What the? Could it be two two-year deals? Or are there special rules for aged veterans?

Confused...

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:TSN has picked up the story too...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=254198

They also mention the "front loading" to make the cap hit easier. What the? Could it be two two-year deals? Or are there special rules for aged veterans?

Confused...

Nah, it'll probably be something like 7 + 7 + 3.5 + 3.5 = $21 mil / 4 yrs, cap hit of $5.25 mil. If, that is, the figure Garrioch is reporting is near the mark.

1 deal, 4 years, front-loaded contract.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum