GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!!

+15
The Silfer Server
beedub
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
shabbs
rooneypoo
mattshock
wprager
smash88
Cronie
Snuh
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
Mojo
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:$5.575 for the first 3 years
$4.875 for the last year

These are the cap hits I think.

Heater's got the number right here, and the cap math is actually deceptively simple.

Here goes:

The only thing causing this anomaly is Alfie's $2.1 mil bonus, which is not part of his base salary or his signing bonus, and is instead to pay for the removal of the last 3 option years of Alfie's previous contract. These 'option year' contracts are no longer an option under the new CBA, so they created this unique situation.

So, take that number out of the total value of the contract (base salary of $4 + $4 + $2 + $1, plus signing bonuses of $3 + $3 + $2.5), and you get $19.5 mil. Divide this number by the amount of years (4) in the contract and you get $4.875. This is the base amount for Alfie's cap hit.

Then, because the bonus $2.1 mil was to pay for the final 3 option years of Alfie's previous contract, the NHL has decided to spread that sum over the first 3 years of his deal (and not the full 4 years). So, divide that sum by 3 ($2.1 divided by 3 = $700K) and tack it onto the first 3 years of the new deal (the option years purchased from the previous contract), and you get Alfie's cap hit for the first 3 years ($5.575 mil). It's really a unique case: under the new CBA, the salary hit for any player is supposed to remain constant, but because Alfie's old contract was pre-cap era, they had to make adjustments here.

So, Alfie's salary cap hit looks like this:

Year 1: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 2: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 3: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 4: $4.875 mil

Total: $21.6 mil

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

Those add up. We were given $5.750M somewhere or something.

Thanks for the clarification Rooney!

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you guys all deserve to give Boo boo an appology as it appears he had it right after all didn't he?

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:$5.575 for the first 3 years
$4.875 for the last year

These are the cap hits I think.

Heater's got the number right here, and the cap math is actually deceptively simple.

Here goes:

The only thing causing this anomaly is Alfie's $2.1 mil bonus, which is not part of his base salary or his signing bonus, and is instead to pay for the removal of the last 3 option years of Alfie's previous contract. These 'option year' contracts are no longer an option under the new CBA, so they created this unique situation.

So, take that number out of the total value of the contract (base salary of $4 + $4 + $2 + $1, plus signing bonuses of $3 + $3 + $2.5), and you get $19.5 mil. Divide this number by the amount of years (4) in the contract and you get $4.875. This is the base amount for Alfie's cap hit.

Then, because the bonus $2.1 mil was to pay for the final 3 option years of Alfie's previous contract, the NHL has decided to spread that sum over the first 3 years of his deal (and not the full 4 years). So, divide that sum by 3 ($2.1 divided by 3 = $700K) and tack it onto the first 3 years of the new deal (the option years purchased from the previous contract), and you get Alfie's cap hit for the first 3 years ($5.575 mil). It's really a unique case: under the new CBA, the salary hit for any player is supposed to remain constant, but because Alfie's old contract was pre-cap era, they had to make adjustments here.

So, Alfie's salary cap hit looks like this:

Year 1: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 2: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 3: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 4: $4.875 mil

Total: $21.6 mil

Thanks Rooney!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think you guys all deserve to give Boo boo an appology as it appears he had it right after all didn't he?
There's no way he could have known how the NHL/NHLPA would have ruled on the bonus.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think you guys all deserve to give Boo boo an appology as it appears he had it right after all didn't he?
There's no way he could have known how the NHL/NHLPA would have ruled on the bonus.

Absolutely.

First, this decision to divide that $2.1 mil contract-buyout bonus over 3 years instead of 4 was handed down just recently, only after the NHL had officially received the deal and looked it over. When Garrioch wrote on that day of the signing, he couldn't have known that this would happen, and he certainly didn't explain it like this.

Second, the *way* Garrioch phrased it was that the salary for the final year ($1 mil) of the deal was somehow going to lower Alfie's salary cap hit for that year. (I'd link the story and quote directly from the article, but I can't find it right now.)

I think this is a case of dumb-Dung lucky: he was right, but for the wrong reasons.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Rooney ftw.

BooBoo, you get off easy this time.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:Rooney ftw.

BooBoo, you get off easy this time.

Translation for the internet-lingo impoverished?

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

For The Win!!

Also see: Gerber FTL!!

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:For The Win!!

I'm just glad it is now official... Auld in nets tonight!! No Gerber.. No heart attack at SBP!

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:For The Win!!

Ah, I see.

I usually use FTW to say "F the World!", which didn't seem quite right in the context you were using it.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Nope, not the same context at all.

It's probably my most-used acronym. I used to play too much DotA. Then I sold my soul and took up WoW.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum