GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!!

+15
The Silfer Server
beedub
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
shabbs
rooneypoo
mattshock
wprager
smash88
Cronie
Snuh
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
Mojo
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

106Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 am

mattshock wrote:I read that.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. From what I read, we're getting a raw deal.

$5.75M x 3 = $17.25M
+ $4.875M = $22.125M

The contract including bonus is only $21.6M.

We're taking an average cap-hit greater than the average of the contract itself, so something isn't adding up here.
I think the 5.75 is only in year 1 therefore:
5.75, 5.4, 5.4, 4.875 would be the approx cap hits over four years.

107Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:40 am

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

RobbyJ wrote:
mattshock wrote:I read that.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. From what I read, we're getting a raw deal.

$5.75M x 3 = $17.25M
+ $4.875M = $22.125M

The contract including bonus is only $21.6M.

We're taking an average cap-hit greater than the average of the contract itself, so something isn't adding up here.
I think the 5.75 is only in year 1 therefore:
5.75, 5.4, 5.4, 4.875 would be the approx cap hits over four years.

That adds up a little closer.

108Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:43 am

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Perhaps Murray and Alfie pull a Lamourello and put Alfie on LTIR for the last year of the contract and he retires officially the following season? That way the 4th year is a $0.00 cap hit?

There is one flaw with your plan.

The captain will never retire.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't understand this at all. Is it gonna be 5.75, 5.75, 5.75, 4.8? That's what's being talked about. Lower 4th year cap hit because the bonus is spread over the first 3 years.

Can't see where that helps us to be dead honest.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Those cap hits add up to more than Alfie is being paid over that time. That's what I'm not getting.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

$5.575 for the first 3 years
$4.875 for the last year

These are the cap hits I think.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:Those cap hits add up to more than Alfie is being paid over that time. That's what I'm not getting.

Yeah there's something they aren't saying... We're missing something...

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe the initially released financial numbers weren't entirely accurate.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:Maybe the initially released financial numbers weren't entirely accurate.

It's got to be... I have a feeling that 5.75 is only for the first year...

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I'm sure time will tell.

What are the cap-sites reporting?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:$5.575 for the first 3 years
$4.875 for the last year

This makes more sense, and suggests a typo by Garrioch, again.

Before the NHL addressed the bonus issue, the cap hit was going to be $4.875M/year for 4 years. This did not count the $2.1M bonus.

If they spread that $2.1M bonus over the first three yeas, the cap hit for those three years is $5.575M. With the 4th year being $4.875M making the total is a nice $21.6M.

In the article, he says $5.75M for the first three years, which would suggest the cap hit total over the 4 years is more than the actual contract, which does not make sense.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
$4.875 for the last year

This makes more sense, and suggests a typo by Garrioch, again.

Before the NHL addressed the bonus issue, the cap hit was going to be $4.875M/year for 4 years. This did not count the $2.1M bonus.

If they spread that $2.1M bonus over the first three yeas, the cap hit for those three years is $5.575M. With the 4th year being $4.875M making the total is a nice $21.6M.

In the article, he says $5.75M for the first three years, which would suggest the cap hit total over the 4 years is more than the actual contract, which does not make sense.

Yeah that makes sense... Thanks!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Franking Garrioch screwing it up...c'mon. LOL.

I can't believe he gets paid for that.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Franking Garrioch screwing it up...c'mon. LOL.

I can't believe he gets paid for that.

Seriously.. does he not review his stuff?

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

BooBoo: "OK, all set. Time for a thorough review and I'll send it in."
Intern: "Donuts are here!"
BooBoo: **hits spellcheck, fixes 17 errors, submits it** "NO ONE TOUCHES THE BOSTON CREAM!!"

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

$4.875 for the last year

Heater's got the number right here, and the cap math is actually deceptively simple.

Here goes:

The only thing causing this anomaly is Alfie's $2.1 mil bonus, which is not part of his base salary or his signing bonus, and is instead to pay for the removal of the last 3 option years of Alfie's previous contract. These 'option year' contracts are no longer an option under the new CBA, so they created this unique situation.

So, take that number out of the total value of the contract (base salary of $4 + $4 + $2 + $1, plus signing bonuses of $3 + $3 + $2.5), and you get $19.5 mil. Divide this number by the amount of years (4) in the contract and you get $4.875. This is the base amount for Alfie's cap hit.

Then, because the bonus $2.1 mil was to pay for the final 3 option years of Alfie's previous contract, the NHL has decided to spread that sum over the first 3 years of his deal (and not the full 4 years). So, divide that sum by 3 ($2.1 divided by 3 = $700K) and tack it onto the first 3 years of the new deal (the option years purchased from the previous contract), and you get Alfie's cap hit for the first 3 years ($5.575 mil). It's really a unique case: under the new CBA, the salary hit for any player is supposed to remain constant, but because Alfie's old contract was pre-cap era, they had to make adjustments here.

So, Alfie's salary cap hit looks like this:

Year 1: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 2: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 3: $4.875 + $0.7 = $5.575 mil
Year 4: $4.875 mil

Total: $21.6 mil

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Those add up. We were given $5.750M somewhere or something.

Thanks for the clarification Rooney!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you guys all deserve to give Boo boo an appology as it appears he had it right after all didn't he?

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum