GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!!

+15
The Silfer Server
beedub
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
shabbs
rooneypoo
mattshock
wprager
smash88
Cronie
Snuh
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
Mojo
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Maybe Bruce should have RooneyPoo proof-read all his articles. It's misleading at best.

LOL. Totally. Smile

There's nothing fancy about determining the cap hit figure: it's the total value of the contract divided by the total number of years in the contract. Garrioch's statement sure seems to imply something else entirely, i.e., that a cap figure could shrink somehow, which is not possible. A player's cap hit is always constant and unchanging over the life of a contract.

Someone was mentioning something about 'what if Alfie retires?' As I understand it, any team who signs a 35+-year-old player to a contract, who then retires, is stuck with the cap hit. That's *only* if he retires: he would still be eligible, I believe, for LTIR.

Still, how awesome is Alfie? A cap hit of about $5 mil a yr for 4 years? What a guy. Seriously, every Sen should for the next 4 years should have to negotiate his contract with Alfie in the room and, if he's seeking major bucks, try to justify why he deserves more than Alfie -- with him in the room staring down at him.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TSN has picked up the story too...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=254198

They also mention the "front loading" to make the cap hit easier. What the? Could it be two two-year deals? Or are there special rules for aged veterans?

Confused...

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:TSN has picked up the story too...

They also mention the "front loading" to make the cap hit easier. What the? Could it be two two-year deals? Or are there special rules for aged veterans?

Confused...

Nah, it'll probably be something like 7 + 7 + 3.5 + 3.5 = $21 mil / 4 yrs, cap hit of $5.25 mil. If, that is, the figure Garrioch is reporting is near the mark.

1 deal, 4 years, front-loaded contract.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:Nah, it'll probably be something like 7 + 7 + 3.5 + 3.5 = $21 mil / 4 yrs, cap hit of $5.25 mil. If, that is, the figure Garrioch is reporting is near the mark.

But front loading has no impact on the cap hit.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

He probably just meant that they'd have more money to throw around. It has no impact on the cap whatsoever.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Nah, it'll probably be something like 7 + 7 + 3.5 + 3.5 = $21 mil / 4 yrs, cap hit of $5.25 mil. If, that is, the figure Garrioch is reporting is near the mark.

But front loading has no impact on the cap hit.

Correct. A cap hit is always constant and unchanging over the life of any contract.

Personally, I think Garrioch's statement is a gaffe, pure and simple. At best, what he wanted to suggest is that Alfie would be taking a home town discount for us, and that his cap hit would be lower than the amount we're paying him next year.

As far as I am aware, the CBA don't allow for a player/team to sign 2 different contracts in one sitting, or a contract with 2 different cap figures. I don't know why you'd want to, either -- the advantage of front-loaded contracts is that the cap hit figure is spread out the money over the full term and so get a lower salary on average.

Garrioch has just stumbled here, IMO.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

Confused...

Nah, it'll probably be something like 7 + 7 + 3.5 + 3.5 = $21 mil / 4 yrs, cap hit of $5.25 mil. If, that is, the figure Garrioch is reporting is near the mark.

THey might just be talking about the hit on Melnyks pocket? Is there any kind of condition to make the contract start again after two years? I can't wait to see what the conclusion is of this.

Alfie

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:Maybe Bruce should have RooneyPoo proof-read all his articles. It's misleading at best.

LOL. Totally. Smile

There's nothing fancy about determining the cap hit figure: it's the total value of the contract divided by the total number of years in the contract. Garrioch's statement sure seems to imply something else entirely, i.e., that a cap figure could shrink somehow, which is not possible. A player's cap hit is always constant and unchanging over the life of a contract.

Someone was mentioning something about 'what if Alfie retires?' As I understand it, any team who signs a 35+-year-old player to a contract, who then retires, is stuck with the cap hit. That's *only* if he retires: he would still be eligible, I believe, for LTIR.

Still, how awesome is Alfie? A cap hit of about $5 mil a yr for 4 years? What a guy. Seriously, every Sen should for the next 4 years should have to negotiate his contract with Alfie in the room and, if he's seeking major bucks, try to justify why he deserves more than Alfie -- with him in the room staring down at him.

Thank you. I read it this morning (in between howls of happiness) and I thought, Geez Garrioch, you finally break a NHL shattering story and you don't even know how the franking cap works!? Come on man, what do you do with your time? Seriously, you can only eat so many Twinkies.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Confused...

Alfie is worth 7-8 million per year for next year and probably the year after. After that, he's kinda in a Selanne mold, where he still probably deserves it, but his production might go down. So the Sens pay him 7 million for years 1 and 2 of the package, then to bring the cap # down, they pay him 3.5 and 3 (or whatever) for years 3 and 4. That averages out to around a 5 million dollar cap hit and it makes Alfie 7 million for next year (a figure he could literally have gotten anywhere on the free market).

This is set up like Heatley's but...a lot less obviously.

Alfie about to sign four year deal!!!!!! - Page 2 10

ALFIE! ALFIE! ALFIE!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How much weight is off everyone's shoulders right now. Alfie has helped us - and we've rewarded him - but really, Alfie has helped us free up $$ to sign top end talent for the backend. Which means he believes in the way the franchise is going - which makes me want to cry in happiness/relief.

I love it.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:How much weight is off everyone's shoulders right now. Alfie has helped us - and we've rewarded him - but really, Alfie has helped us free up $$ to sign top end talent for the backend. Which means he believes in the way the franchise is going - which makes me want to cry in happiness/relief.

I love it.

I didn't really expect anything otherwise.. He's been a class act, right from day 1...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

smash88 wrote:
504Heater wrote:How much weight is off everyone's shoulders right now. Alfie has helped us - and we've rewarded him - but really, Alfie has helped us free up $$ to sign top end talent for the backend. Which means he believes in the way the franchise is going - which makes me want to cry in happiness/relief.

I love it.

I didn't really expect anything otherwise.. He's been a class act, right from day 1...

I was a little nervous when there was the 7 million dollar figure being talked about. That would have handcuffed us pretty good, but yes, Alfie is the best!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hear it's official:

22 million/4 years = 5.5 million cap hit.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

smash88 wrote:

I love it.

Alfie for Mayor!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Press Conference set for 12:30 in Sunrise Florida.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Press Conference set for 12:30 in Sunrise Florida.

Sweet...

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Sweeeeeeeeet!

It feels like Christmas!!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It does LOL. Nice package!