GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Sens @ Blue Jackets, Tuesday, Oct 28, 7:00 PM

+8
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
wprager
Ev
NEELY
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well Lehner absolutely has to be better than Anderson, that's the entire point to all of this. The next 10 years rest of Lehner's play while Anderson can be good, bad, or otherwise and it doesn't really effect the long term success of the franchise. Anderson playing the way he has is nothing but positive for the the team presently but 2 years down the road Anderson won't really matter.

Lehner being given the reigns is an inevitability, when is the only question. The way he is playing right now despite how well Anderson is playing (and he's playing fantastic) you run with Lehner. Guy might be the best goalie in the NHL right now just like he was last year after beating the Blue Jackets by himself. What caused the team to go off the tracks last year? Going back to the "#1" in Anderson despite his struggle last year. I think the results this year would be different if Anderson was in there, he's on his game but why risk it?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:Lehner doing what he is doing right now is the game changer and turns ok teams into good or great teams.  Making the big saves, at the most important times, and he comes out of the gate ready to go.  Guy has franchise written all over him and has for a long time.  He's in the process right now of taking the #1 job.

Anderson's positioning is better than Lehner.  Lehner makes flashy saves sometimes because he is out of position and diving to get back in position (checkout that "save" he made last night while he was backwards inside the net).  Once Lehner can stop shots early in the game that he should stop that put us in a hole, he'll be closer to taking the #1 position.

Don't care how he looks stopping a puck.  As for Anderson's positioning... he's constantly jumping to the other side of the net getting beat on wrap arounds, he isn't the best positionally either.

As for the #1... he's already 1B right now.

Yes, Lehner is the #1B.  The B stands for Backup.  He is the #1 Backup.

For a back up a 50/50 split is pretty good... we'll see who starts Thursday.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Lehner being given the reigns is an inevitability, when is the only question. The way he is playing right now despite how well Anderson is playing (and he's playing fantastic) you run with Lehner. Guy might be the best goalie in the NHL right now just like he was last year after beating the Blue Jackets by himself. What caused the team to go off the tracks last year? Going back to the "#1" in Anderson despite his struggle last year. I think the results this year would be different if Anderson was in there, he's on his game but why risk it?

I think once Lehner learns better positioning and doesn't give up soft goals like the first he allowed to Columbus last night, he could be considered our #1. I think, barring injuries, Anderson will get the majority of the starts this year. I also think Anderson starts on Thursday.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Now he's the best goalie in the NHL eh. The same thing NEELY said about Anderson two years ago Laugh1

NEELY

Mod
Mod

If that goal last night was considered "soft" then all the power to him. If he lets in a soft goal like that each night while stopping basically everything else the Sens will win pretty close to every single night. Goals go in, it's then when and how that's the issue and Lehner for the most part has both covered.

If Anderson starts on Thurs they are going with what was planned from the outset which is fine, I don't think there is any real difference in how the team performs in front of either right now but if Lehner does get the start on Thurs and continues to play like he has... not sure you can take him out for a while.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:Now he's the best goalie in the NHL eh. The same thing NEELY said about Anderson two years ago Laugh1

Was Anderson the best goaltender in the NHL before he got hurt? Yes he was. He could have won the Hart that year.

Is Lehner playing the best of any goalie in the NHL right now? Yes he is. Fail to see your point unless it was to point out that I am correct.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Andersen is up there too though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:If that goal last night was considered "soft" then all the power to him.   If he lets in a soft goal like that each night while stopping basically everything else the Sens will win pretty close to every single night.  Goals go in, it's then when and how that's the issue and Lehner for the most part has both covered.

If Anderson starts on Thurs they are going with what was planned from the outset which is fine, I don't think there is any real difference in how the team performs in front of either right now but if Lehner does get the start on Thurs and continues to play like he has... not sure you can take him out for a while.

Anderson is getting the start on Thursday because he is their #1 and has played like it.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:If that goal last night was considered "soft" then all the power to him.   If he lets in a soft goal like that each night while stopping basically everything else the Sens will win pretty close to every single night.  Goals go in, it's then when and how that's the issue and Lehner for the most part has both covered.

Anderson is getting the start on Thursday because he is their #1 and has played like it.

Exactly. Anderson hasn't given up a softy like Lehner did last night.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Ok just for some clarity (mainly for neely), we gotta keep things in perspective from this mini 2 game roadie. The dads were on this trip, that's why you saw every single player get an opportunity to play the last 2 games. Starting Lehner last night is strategic in that he HAD to start one of those two games and it made sense to play columbus. So basically, this was planned from the outset, as was benching weircioch, lazar, stone and playing hoffman, greening, condra, etc.

NO doubt in my mind that andy starts next game. And I wouldn't be shocked to see lehner play boston (he's got experience playing the bruins)

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:

Too far. I consider getting beat on wrap-arounds consistently quite weak.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Too far. I consider getting beat on wrap-arounds consistently quite weak.

Nah, our soft D is at fault for giving up those quality wrap-around chances.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Michallica wrote:Ok just for some clarity (mainly for neely), we gotta keep things in perspective from this mini 2 game roadie.  The dads were on this trip, that's why you saw every single player get an opportunity to play the last 2 games.  Starting Lehner last night is strategic in that he HAD to start one of those two games and it made sense to play columbus.  So basically, this was planned from the outset, as was benching weircioch, lazar, stone and playing hoffman, greening, condra, etc.

NO doubt in my mind that andy starts next game.  And I wouldn't be shocked to see lehner play boston (he's got experience playing the bruins)

There should be. Anyone who thinks this isn't the exact same discussion they are having right now in the coaches office is kidding themselves. It's a good situation having both guys playing the way they are but if either goalie starts on Thurs it shouldn't be a surprise. One move would signal a slight change in direction though.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Too far.  I consider getting beat on wrap-arounds consistently quite weak.

Was on Zibanejad last game against the Hawks, not the D but fact is Anderson does get beat like that a lot. He bites early and anticipates which makes him both successful and vulnerable if the play keeps going.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Michallica wrote:Ok just for some clarity (mainly for neely), we gotta keep things in perspective from this mini 2 game roadie.  The dads were on this trip, that's why you saw every single player get an opportunity to play the last 2 games.  Starting Lehner last night is strategic in that he HAD to start one of those two games and it made sense to play columbus.  So basically, this was planned from the outset, as was benching weircioch, lazar, stone and playing hoffman, greening, condra, etc.

NO doubt in my mind that andy starts next game.  And I wouldn't be shocked to see lehner play boston (he's got experience playing the bruins)

There should be.  Anyone who thinks this isn't the exact same discussion they are having right now in the coaches office is kidding themselves.  It's a good situation having both guys playing the way they are but if either goalie starts on Thurs it shouldn't be a surprise.  One move would signal a slight change in direction though.

I frankly don't think they're having the discussion at all. They probably told Anderson on Monday that he was starting tomorrow.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Could have, decision may have been made 2 weeks ago. Again though, Lehner's last 2 performances and all 4 starts this year for the most part of been all world. Guy hasn't lost in regulation yet, plans change. I might be wasting my breath here and i have a very clear bias towards Lehner but this is what happened last year as well, not sure they will let Lehner sit after a game like that.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Too far.  I consider getting beat on wrap-arounds consistently quite weak.

Was on Zibanejad last game against the Hawks, not the D but fact is Anderson does get beat like that a lot. He bites early and anticipates which makes him both successful and vulnerable if the play keeps going.

He's been beaten by that a handful of times in the past two years, not "a lot". Also, he takes away the initial scoring opportunity, the defence should clean up after. He doesn't let too many softies in like Lehner did last night on the BJs first goal.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Could have, decision may have been made 2 weeks ago.  Again though, Lehner's last 2 performances and all 4 starts this year for the most part of been all world.  Guy hasn't lost in regulation yet, plans change.  I might be wasting my breath here and i have a very clear bias towards Lehner but this is what happened last year as well, not sure they will let Lehner sit after a game like that.

Dude I love Lehner. But they didn't re-sign Anderson to sit him against the top teams.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum