GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFF-SEASON: Potential moves, rumours etc.

+13
dennycrane
wprager
Flo The Action
stempniaksen
tim1_2
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Hoags
sandysensfan
Ev
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Glencross hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of money and term. We should get him for $2M for 2 years tops and see if he sticks.

I thought Leino plays in the top-6 in Philly ? He seemed to in the playoffs last year ?

You really think a UFA would sign that deal? He would be an idiot and have an awful agent if he did.

Leino is not a top 6 forward anymore than Glencross is.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:
No, it's easy mins against teams 3rd pairing, both regular season and playoffs.

You accept that he has mad skillz though I'm sure. And that on a line with say...Spezza or Alfredsson, he could make some beautiful music + be defensively responsible.

So does Regin.

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:Glencross hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of money and term. We should get him for $2M for 2 years tops and see if he sticks.

I thought Leino plays in the top-6 in Philly ? He seemed to in the playoffs last year ?

He technically plays on the "1B" line but because of all that depth he get's limited PP time and the lines get shuffled around a bit. But ya, he plays with Briere and Hartnell who have been (by all accounts) their most consistent scoring threat this season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:So does Regin.

You know I'm a huge fan of Regin, but Regin's at the point right now (and age) where he can translate that talent and work ethic into success (Leino) or he could miss out which obviously happens all the time. I agree there's similarities, but the big difference to me is that Leino has fought through it and is where Regin will need to eventually be.

Perhaps Leino can even mentor Regin a little on how to finally get over the hump and have NHL success.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:

You know I'm a huge fan of Regin, but Regin's at the point right now (and age) where he can translate that talent and work ethic into success (Leino) or he could miss out which obviously happens all the time. I agree there's similarities, but the big difference to me is that Leino has fought through it and is where Regin will need to eventually be.

Perhaps Leino can even mentor Regin a little on how to finally get over the hump and have NHL success.

Leino is one year removed from being a rookie, he isn't going to mentor anyone and not to mention the fact he doesn't show up on 1/2 the nights he actually plays. Why don't they just go out and sign Zherdev too? He has more offensive potential than anyone.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ville Leino would get like 30 points on Ottawa.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Leino is one year removed from being a rookie, he isn't going to mentor anyone and not to mention the fact he doesn't show up on 1/2 the nights he actually plays. Why don't they just go out and sign Zherdev too? He has more offensive potential than anyone.

Yeah, a rookie who was 26 years old. Yikes. Not a fan of late bloomers like that.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Yikes, big difference between Leino and Zherdev (even if I don't thin Leino is the right fit).

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:

You really think a UFA would sign that deal? He would be an idiot and have an awful agent if he did.

Leino is not a top 6 forward anymore than Glencross is.

On this team, Glencross is instantly a top 6 winger, and he in fact would be battling Michalek for the top LW spot. LW is our weakest position, which is why he (and Laich, who can play C and LW) makes sense in my mind.

I get why people say he may be a tweener at the moment -- he makes me think of Mike Fisher, to be honest, just playing the winger role -- and maybe that's all he'll ever be, but after Laich, I don't think there's a better option out there for us in terms of UFAs.

$2.5 or $3 mil, 2 years. You overpay to bring him in but still keep the term short. Again, I wouldn't even talk about the guy if I thought we had a legitimate shot at someone like Laich, who is pretty much a perfect fit for us right now. Glencross is the best fit I can see so far, that's all.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Ville Leino would get like 30 points on Ottawa.

"This is the best player I've been involved in sending to the minors, I can tell you that," Babcock said. "He's got a nose for the net, goes to the net, dominant on the cycle, makes great passes. He's a Red Wings type player. Leino, I think he's going to be a scoring machine."

I'd say he is something if Babcock has that to say about him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Ville Leino would get like 30 points on Ottawa.

"This is the best player I've been involved in sending to the minors, I can tell you that," Babcock said. "He's got a nose for the net, goes to the net, dominant on the cycle, makes great passes. He's a Red Wings type player. Leino, I think he's going to be a scoring machine."

I'd say he is something if Babcock has that to say about him.

...and then they trade him for a scrub.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:

salary cap move

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

salary cap move

He had an $800,000 cap hit...

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

salary cap move

He had an $800,000 cap hit...

Have you seen Detroit salary cap situation ?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309159

The Detroit Red Wings traded forward Ville Leino to the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday in exchange for defenceman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen and a fifth-round pick in the 2011 NHL draft.

The Red Wings then placed Tollefsen on waivers, where he can be claimed by any team before noon et on Sunday. Detroit needs a roster spot and some cap space with a number of players, including Johan Franzen, due to return from injury. If Tollefsen clears waivers, it's likely the Red Wings will send him down to Grand Rapids (AHL).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Still, if Babcock was THAT in love with the guy, I doubt they would just give him away. They would find others to deal, first. makes me think they weren't to high on him (he wasn't great in Detroit).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:

HUGE difference between Zherdev and Leino - and he shows up every shift, not sure where you're getting that.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Still, if Babcock was THAT in love with the guy, I doubt they would just give him away. They would find others to deal, first. makes me think they weren't to high on him (he wasn't great in Detroit).

Well I guess they couldn't, it was Leino or Franzen staying on IR.

Detroit went out and signed the guy so they must have seen something good, no one beats Detroit at finding talent out of left field.

Depends on what the asking price is for the pending UFAs, Fleischmann is a good choice but his health problems scare me.

We definitely need more scoring talent on LW.

SpezDispenser wrote:

Yeah, we may have lucked out by not acquiring him. He's looked like crap out there (although last game was slightly better).

We'll see if Murray still has a thing for Penner Laugh1 I can't imagine the Kings wanting to keep him around at this rate. He can always call Terry for a scouting report.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:

HUGE difference between Zherdev and Leino - and he shows up every shift, not sure where you're getting that.

Based on the game I watch. Some nights he is totally invisable. I am not a fan of Leino in the least.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum