GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFF-SEASON: Potential moves, rumours etc.

+13
dennycrane
wprager
Flo The Action
stempniaksen
tim1_2
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Hoags
sandysensfan
Ev
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's getting to that time, the time when the Cup will be awarded and teams will go their separate ways, only to be thrust back together for the draft - where usually there's one or two high profile deals that go down.

At this stage, none of us know what the Sens have in mind other than what Murray's said (top 6 forward with experience) + the obvious (backup goalie + coach).

Consider this tread a place to put down arbitrary ideas about the off-season - including guys who might be out of a job soon, teams who're humping the salary cap this summer etc. I doubt we'll hear many rumours as most teams simply don't leak conversations to anyone who would then report it on Twitter or anything.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

One of the main reasons for this was that Murray seemed pretty damn intent on a top 6 forward this summer - which is fine I guess, but not something I would have gone out of my way to do.

It'll depend on what happens at the draft IMO. If Murray can move up and grab Landeskog, then the chances diminish of buying a UFA forward (again, IMO), because Lando would undoubtedly play top 6 minutes.

If they Sens stand pat and draft someone who needs another year in Junior or even the AHL, then that's a slam dunk that Murray will go after someone. The question starts now basically - who will it be? Who would have a positive influence on other players, a strong work ethic and some skill?

The list won't be that long if we're looking at the UFA list - and I think we can take Richards right off, I doubt we get involved in another ultra expensive free agent.

So, the choices become:

Ville Leino - the Flyers have about a half million dollars and still 3 or 4 roster spots to fill, odds are they won't be doing too much in the way of signing their UFAs, rather, they'll probably need to shed one of their salaries for parts like Chicago did (everyone knows I'm pro-Briere).

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

Brooks Laich - don't see the Caps not re-signing him. He fits into the mold of what they're trying to do, he's a leader, he can score, he can PK, he can play PP. The Caps will have around 8 million dollars to re-sign Laich (3.75 is my guess), Varlamov, Alzner, Hannan (gone?) and Arnott (another decent target for the Sens).

Jason Arnott - getting old, injury prone, but is as steady as they come when healthy. A nice addition as 2nd line C if we need to go that route.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=30

Anyone feel like taking a chance?

Frolov, Ponikarovsy and Ryder scream low risk/high reward, but have a potential of being frustrating and a waste of a roster spot and money.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't see him leaving Pittsburgh but Max Talbot would be the perfect addition to this team. He is a leader, he's gritty, and he has tremendous character. Would fit in very very nicely as a third line centre. But like I said, I'd be shocked if Pittsburgh let him walk, he's a fan favourite.

I realize that's not a Top 6 addition but he's my favourite UFA. They need to do everything in their power to sign him if he becomes available. Solid player and has a wealth of playoff experience.

Also, Tim Connolly is intriguing. He'd be great as the second line centre depending on how much money he makes. I don't see Buffalo re-signing him.

Other than those two guys I like Upshall, Glencross, Higgins,

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

To add to the Talbot suggestion, I forgot he played 4 years in Hull/Gatineau. Boom.

But it is very hard for me to imagine that he will leave Pittsburgh.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Murray said any top 6 forward they get either by UFA or trade will be under the age of 30. I think his contracts with older UFA's have taught him a hard lesson.
Glencross would be a great choice. If I remember correctly it was Murray who signed him out of NCAA hockey... but I'm not absolutely positive about that.

I think he will also stay away from injury prone players.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:I don't see him leaving Pittsburgh but Max Talbot would be the perfect addition to this team. He is a leader, he's gritty, and he has tremendous character. Would fit in very very nicely as a third line centre. But like I said, I'd be shocked if Pittsburgh let him walk, he's a fan favourite.

I realize that's not a Top 6 addition but he's my favourite UFA. They need to do everything in their power to sign him if he becomes available. Solid player and has a wealth of playoff experience.

Also, Tim Connolly is intriguing. He'd be great as the second line centre depending on how much money he makes. I don't see Buffalo re-signing him.

I BADLY forgot Glencross - as Rooney pointed out, a Murray find out of university, so he obviously likes him.

Connolly is a hell of a suggestion depending on the $$ amount. If he's okay with a 2 year, 6 million, then the Sens should be all over it. As for Talbot, he's what we need in 3 years, not so sure about right now personally.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Talbot is 27 years old right now. I think he'd be great for both a rebuilding team and a contender. Remember, he's one of the ones who helped Pittsburgh get out of their Dung (obviously Crosby and Malkin help out).
I just think he'd be a great influence for the young guys and his character and work ethic will rub off on everyone.

I just posted this suggestion to HF. Let the ripping ensue!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Talbot is 27 years old right now. I think he'd be great for both a rebuilding team and a contender. Remember, he's one of the ones who helped Pittsburgh get out of their Dung (obviously Crosby and Malkin help out).
I just think he'd be a great influence for the young guys and his character and work ethic will rub off on everyone.

I just posted this suggestion to HF. Let the ripping ensue!

The only reason someone will rip you is that the Sens need some goal-scoring and not necessarily more 'character' - which is/was the biggest debate over drafting Landeskog when we were in a position to do so.

I definitely don't disagree, Talbot would be a very sturdy piece for us, but again, we need someone to pump pucks in the net. I like the idea of Talbot though because we should be building internally, not spending on UFAs - although, again, I like Ville Leino and/or Brooks Laich a LOT.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Philly is the team to target I'd bet Leino or (more likely) Versteeg will be available.

They have less than 500K to sign 2-3 players.

SpezDispenser wrote:

The only reason someone will rip you is that the Sens need some goal-scoring and not necessarily more 'character' - which is/was the biggest debate over drafting Landeskog when we were in a position to do so.

Yeah we need scoring first and foremost.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I don't see him leaving Pittsburgh but Max Talbot would be the perfect addition to this team. He is a leader, he's gritty, and he has tremendous character. Would fit in very very nicely as a third line centre. But like I said, I'd be shocked if Pittsburgh let him walk, he's a fan favourite.

I BADLY forgot Glencross - as Rooney pointed out, a Murray find out of university, so he obviously likes him.

Connolly is a hell of a suggestion depending on the $$ amount. If he's okay with a 2 year, 6 million, then the Sens should be all over it. As for Talbot, he's what we need in 3 years, not so sure about right now personally.

I'm not sure what I think about Connolly. He has a ton of skill and definitely has 20-25 goal potential. Unfortunately, he's never realized that potential since he's always injured for 10-15 games. I don't think I'd sign him.

Glencross is an interesting option. He could definitely fit into the top-6. Can he play C, or just LW?

Laich is, by far, the most intriguing potential UFA. I'd imagine that the Caps try to keep him, but if he'd sign here for a reasonable $ figure, I think he'd be amazing. He'd really round out our top-6.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I think Glencross is the most likely option.

Capitals would be stupid to let Laich walk and he'd be stupid not to want to stay there. Although he is pretty much a perfect fit here.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:I think Glencross is the most likely option.

Capitals would be stupid to let Laich walk and he'd be stupid not to want to stay there. Although he is pretty much a perfect fit here.

Agreed. Although, if the Caps bow out early in the playoffs, they may be looking at wholesale changes. Who knows? Time will tell, but Laich is definitely my favourite potential UFA. If nothing else, I hope Murray takes a run at him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Laich is currently playing on the third line in Washington. I laich him but he fits the mold as a Max Talbot in my opinion. Better at putting the puck in the net but is the same type of player. Talbot would be cheaper. Just my preference though.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
Agreed. Although, if the Caps bow out early in the playoffs, they may be looking at wholesale changes. Who knows? Time will tell, but Laich is definitely my favourite potential UFA. If nothing else, I hope Murray takes a run at him.

If Washington flames out, they'll fire Boudreau, I doubt they'll make significant roster changes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There needs to be more Leino in these discussions IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum