GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFF-SEASON: Potential moves, rumours etc.

+13
dennycrane
wprager
Flo The Action
stempniaksen
tim1_2
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Hoags
sandysensfan
Ev
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:With Glencross due a raise and the Flames tight to the cap it seems like the perfect target.

Yeah, it looks like a fit to me. The prior BM connection weighs big in my mind. Laich would be the guy I would want, Leino would be a guy I could settle for (reluctantly), but Glencross looks like a fit, all things considered.

This is how I felt about Anderson about a month or two before we traded for him, btw: the best fit for this team right now, all reasonable/realistic options considered.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Glencross is a nice option and he can lead the way with all the college kids coming up as well. If anyone knows the road less traveled it's him. I am not convinced he is a top 6 forward but if he isn't he's a fantastic 3rd line guy. Probably a good guy to try and lock up to a 3 or 4 year deal, you may not get a ton of offense on a lot of nights but you will get something out of him.

Ottawa absolutely needs a guy who can play in the top 6 right now though. If they can somehow draft Landeskog that is obviously a huge step in the right direction, he might not be a top 6 guy right away but he will be.

A lot of unknowns in Ottawa right now and somethings are going to have to play out for everyone to get answer but by mid summer, people should know.

I would want no part of Leino for what it's worth. Don't trust guys who put up decent numbers on great teams playing 3rd line mins.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Maybe it looks something like this...

Michalek/Spezza/Butler
Glencross/Regin/Alfi
Greening/Smith/Landeskog
Foligno/Winchester/Neil
Condra

Probably not the best lineup but perhaps the most realistic. No shortness of character and toughness in there though.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Glencross would be good, and wouldn't be overly expensive. He'd fit in well with this group.

Also, Brad Richards Wink

He'll be too expensive and looking for a long contract though.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like Glencross because it's someone we can afford to overpay a bit with our cap situation and Calgary can't afford to do it. He'll also provide enough offense to make it worth while and will be a good fit for the make up of the team.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Guy scores his first 20 goal season since junior in a contract year? Sign me up!

Seriously though I'm not sold on Glencross at all based on what I expect him to get. I know we'll have some money to play with but I'd rather overpay on a real top-six then continue to overpay possible 3rd line pluggers.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:Guy scores his first 20 goal season since junior in a contract year? Sign me up!

Seriously though I'm not sold on Glencross at all based on what I expect him to get. I know we'll have some money to play with but I'd rather overpay on a real top-six then continue to overpay possible 3rd line pluggers.

Yeah, but you are getting a guy in his prime as well. It's not the Jason Blake factor playing in, not like he is 34 and had a career year. He is 27 and he had it.

While I am not sold on him as a top 6 forward either and I agree with you it is just as likely he continue to improve and put up bigger totals than it is if he ends up taking a hit in production. That said, if the later happens he does do other things to help teams win which is why it would be a very low risk signing with a somewhat high reward.

The Sens can afford to take a chance on a guy like Glencross at this point.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:Guy scores his first 20 goal season since junior in a contract year? Sign me up!

Yeah, but you are getting a guy in his prime as well. It's not the Jason Blake factor playing in, not like he is 34 and had a career year. He is 27 and he had it.

While I am not sold on him as a top 6 forward either and I agree with you it is just as likely he continue to improve and put up bigger totals than it is if he ends up taking a hit in production. That said, if the later happens he does do other things to help teams win which is why it would be a very low risk signing with a somewhat high reward.

Maybe we disagree on how much he will sign for and that's where the differences arise, because other than the Sens signing him I don't disagree with anything you just said. I think with the cap going up (apparently) and a very weak UFA crop I could see a desperate team throw a decent chunk of change at him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Glencross is a nice option and he can lead the way with all the college kids coming up as well. If anyone knows the road less traveled it's him. I am not convinced he is a top 6 forward but if he isn't he's a fantastic 3rd line guy. Probably a good guy to try and lock up to a 3 or 4 year deal, you may not get a ton of offense on a lot of nights but you will get something out of him.

Ottawa absolutely needs a guy who can play in the top 6 right now though. If they can somehow draft Landeskog that is obviously a huge step in the right direction, he might not be a top 6 guy right away but he will be.

A lot of unknowns in Ottawa right now and somethings are going to have to play out for everyone to get answer but by mid summer, people should know.

I would want no part of Leino for what it's worth. Don't trust guys who put up decent numbers on great teams playing 3rd line mins.

But isn't that a good thing that Leino got decent numbers on a team's 3rd line without much PP time and playing 16 minutes a night? I dunno...that would be my target, I've liked him a lot for a while now, but I could be dead wrong.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Glencross is a nice option and he can lead the way with all the college kids coming up as well. If anyone knows the road less traveled it's him. I am not convinced he is a top 6 forward but if he isn't he's a fantastic 3rd line guy. Probably a good guy to try and lock up to a 3 or 4 year deal, you may not get a ton of offense on a lot of nights but you will get something out of him.

But isn't that a good thing that Leino got decent numbers on a team's 3rd line without much PP time and playing 16 minutes a night? I dunno...that would be my target, I've liked him a lot for a while now, but I could be dead wrong.

No, it's easy mins against teams 3rd pairing, both regular season and playoffs.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Maybe we disagree on how much he will sign for and that's where the differences arise, because other than the Sens signing him I don't disagree with anything you just said. I think with the cap going up (apparently) and a very weak UFA crop I could see a desperate team throw a decent chunk of change at him.

I think it would be like 3x3 or 3x4, huge raise for him but a decent cap hit in terms of the role he would play in Ottawa.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:

You accept that he has mad skillz though I'm sure. And that on a line with say...Spezza or Alfredsson, he could make some beautiful music + be defensively responsible.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I think it would be like 3x3 or 3x4, huge raise for him but a decent cap hit in terms of the role he would play in Ottawa.

That's way too much to be throwing at someone that could be a 3rd liner on this team as soon as next year to be honest. I know we all want to pick up some fresh bodies with all this money we've run into but handing out long-ish term deals to bottom-six players is the opposite of what this team should be doing with so many young players coming up.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Stop giving away 4 million dollars to role players. That's the problem Ottawa has had for years.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Glencross hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of money and term. We should get him for $2M for 2 years tops and see if he sticks.

I thought Leino plays in the top-6 in Philly ? He seemed to in the playoffs last year ?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Glencross hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of money and term. We should get him for $2M for 2 years tops and see if he sticks.

I thought Leino plays in the top-6 in Philly ? He seemed to in the playoffs last year ?

You really think a UFA would sign that deal? He would be an idiot and have an awful agent if he did.

Leino is not a top 6 forward anymore than Glencross is.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:

You accept that he has mad skillz though I'm sure. And that on a line with say...Spezza or Alfredsson, he could make some beautiful music + be defensively responsible.

So does Regin.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:Glencross hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of money and term. We should get him for $2M for 2 years tops and see if he sticks.

He technically plays on the "1B" line but because of all that depth he get's limited PP time and the lines get shuffled around a bit. But ya, he plays with Briere and Hartnell who have been (by all accounts) their most consistent scoring threat this season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum