GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

3 STARS SELECTION + GDT: Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers (Dec 5th, 2010)

+13
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
Riprock
Flo The Action
PTFlea
shabbs
Bramlet07
spader
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

More fun with stats. Regin is actually leading the team in takeaways. Like I said, he *does* have a place.

What I found fairly educational is Spezza is 9th on the team in giveaways. Now, before you all jump down my throat that those are subjective stats, I am comparing Spezza to *other* Senators, and not the league. Also, last season Spezza was *3rd* on the team. That's a significant improvement (or the rest of his team mates have sucked badly).

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Regin hits, he gets involved in the corners. I think Rooney's point was that Foligno hits *more*.

Regin doesn't hit, not even close. Kelly hits more even with less ice time. Kelly has also take more shots on goal than Regin. Not per-game, but in total.

The afore-mentioned Kuba has one hit less than Regin, and Regin has played more than twice as many games.

Ryan freakin' Shannon has double the hits.

Regin is outhitting Spezza -- by one hit. Point is, he's just like Spezza but with less talent. I'm not saying he doesn't belong, but if he's on the top line with Spezza that line is too soft, and all the hitting is left to Alfie and his aging carcass.

I'm not sure that's the best indicator. He doesn't go out of his way to land huge hits, but he initiates contact in the corners, or cycling.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

They all count -- Kelly doesn't go for big hits either. Shannon, well, he's just physically incapable. I know it's just stats, but you said "Regin hits" and I'm saying nuh-uh.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Regin needs to produce. Period.

One reason the team is in trouble is guys like Regin and Foligno were expected to put up some numbers this year and they're doing everything but.

Alfie is slowing down, Kovalev is Kovalev, Fisher is streaky, Michalek is playing one one knee ....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Regin needs to produce. Period.

One reason the team is in trouble is guys like Regin and Foligno were expected to put up some numbers this year and they're doing everything but.

Alfie is slowing down, Kovalev is Kovalev, Fisher is streaky, Michalek is playing one one knee ....

I can't wait to get Kovalev off the books. I've watched him closely recently and he floats around, no backchecking, no effort. For every one good thing he's done, he does 5 bad things. Go away.

I also want to change up the old guard - and that means that sooner rather than later Fisher will have to waive. The problem right now is that, as you mentioned, Alfredsson is injured - naggingly, Fisher is injured and streaky as hell, Regin couldn't get one to go in and is now void of confidence, ditto Foligno (but with less skill), Michalek is just rounding into form and even he can't score.

So that leaves Jason Spezza as the lone top six guy right now whose doing anything. And yesterday we saw it all catch up to him - he turned the puck over like the Spezza of old, he looked defeated, tired.

This team needs two or three new, fresh top 6 players + they need one of Foligno or Regin to awake and put some points up. It's so tired here in Ottawa, there are old guys trying to do it, perennially injured guys who make up most of our top six - and if that isn't enough - they are THE most streaky bunch of players I have ever seen.

I have half a mind to want to call up Locke, Greening, O'Brien to go with Butler - just so we get another much needed shot of speed and youthful exuberance. We need the changing of the guard to happen soon before these old men throw a tent and have a nap on the ice.

/ Rant. Laugh1

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:Regin needs to produce. Period.

I can't wait to get Kovalev off the books. I've watched him closely recently and he floats around, no backchecking, no effort. For every one good thing he's done, he does 5 bad things. Go away.

I also want to change up the old guard - and that means that sooner rather than later Fisher will have to waive. The problem right now is that, as you mentioned, Alfredsson is injured - naggingly, Fisher is injured and streaky as hell, Regin couldn't get one to go in and is now void of confidence, ditto Foligno (but with less skill), Michalek is just rounding into form and even he can't score.

So that leaves Jason Spezza as the lone top six guy right now whose doing anything. And yesterday we saw it all catch up to him - he turned the puck over like the Spezza of old, he looked defeated, tired.

This team needs two or three new, fresh top 6 players + they need one of Foligno or Regin to awake and put some points up. It's so tired here in Ottawa, there are old guys trying to do it, perennially injured guys who make up most of our top six - and if that isn't enough - they are THE most streaky bunch of players I have ever seen.

I have half a mind to want to call up Locke, Greening, O'Brien to go with Butler - just so we get another much needed shot of speed and youthful exuberance. We need the changing of the guard to happen soon before these old men throw a tent and have a nap on the ice.

/ Rant. 3 STARS SELECTION + GDT: Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers (Dec 5th, 2010) - Page 9 270956

100% right

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:

/ Rant. Laugh1

What? He's got 1 point in his last *10* games. He's not the only one struggling, of course, but he's also not the long top six guy doing anything.

As for Greening and O'Brien I've always wanted to bring up a complete line and play them as the third line. Or at least bring up an offensive duo.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

/ Rant. 3 STARS SELECTION + GDT: Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers (Dec 5th, 2010) - Page 9 270956

100% right

Umm, not 100%. Sorry.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Kovalev has been much better this year, imo, and has been exactly as advertised, anyone expecting anything more was fooling themselves.

Although I think we will see some changes next year throughout the entire lineup it might be tough to make wholesale changes up front with the amount of 2nd/3rd liners making top dollar.

If we are okay with the status quo that's another issue, but if we want to make some serious changes in the top-six I think we need to one of Michalek or Fisher traded (unless they can show some serious improvement).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
What? He's got 1 point in his last *10* games. He's not the only one struggling, of course, but he's also not the long top six guy doing anything.

As for Greening and O'Brien I've always wanted to bring up a complete line and play them as the third line. Or at least bring up an offensive duo.

Yeah, true, even Spezza is dying out there.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

100% right

Umm, not 100%. Sorry.

90%

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

stempniaksen wrote:Kovalev has been much better this year, imo, and has been exactly as advertised, anyone expecting anything more was fooling themselves.

Although I think we will see some changes next year throughout the entire lineup it might be tough to make wholesale changes up front with the amount of 2nd/3rd liners making top dollar.

If we are okay with the status quo that's another issue, but if we want to make some serious changes in the top-six I think we need to one of Michalek or Fisher traded (unless they can show some serious improvement).

I wonder if either or both are being shopped. Either way, you're right, we'll see a very different team next year. I wonder how many rookies we'll play next year. Butler (though by then he may not be considered a rookie), Cowen, Rundblad, O'Brien, Locke, Greening, Weircoch, Gryba...there are a few players to choose from. Certainly only a couple of them will make the big show, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Sens sit on some cap space, play some rookies and then wait for some fire sales.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

100% right

Umm, not 100%. Sorry.

90%

Getting closer. Laugh1

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:Don't look now, but with this win the Sens are in 9th, 5 points behind Atlanta. Our next three games are the Habs in Montreal on Tuesday, then back home for a re-match against the Rags on Thursday, and a Friday night date with the Devils (no Saturday night game for the Sens this week). Atlanta hosts Nashville tomorrow and Colorado on Friday, then goes on the road to Long Island Saturday night, and Ottawa next Monday.

Who knows, could be an 8th place show-down next Monday.

Well, so much for that. The Thrashers were down 0-2 more than half way through the game, but rallied to tie it up and win in OT.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Don't know why anyone would want Michalek. 4.3M over the next years for a guy who's probably one more knee injury away from retirement or being the next Cheechoo.

Fisher I could see, but I don't know who in Bingo outside of Smith and Butler is NHL ready.

Cowen would be I imagine.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was actually out for dinner with the in-laws so I unfortunately missed a rare road win. From all the write ups I've read and from what I've read on here it would seem that at least two stars were easy picks with Leclaire and Kelly.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I was actually out for dinner with the in-laws so I unfortunately missed a rare road win. From all the write ups I've read and from what I've read on here it would seem that at least two stars were easy picks with Leclaire and Kelly.

I abstained from the 3 Star selection because beyond those 2 there wasn't much to pick from.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:Don't know why anyone would want Michalek. 4.3M over the next years for a guy who's probably one more knee injury away from retirement or being the next Cheechoo.

Fisher I could see, but I don't know who in Bingo outside of Smith and Butler is NHL ready.

Cowen would be I imagine.

Smith is ready but he is a 4th liner. Butler hasn't yet shown that he is ready. Literally nobody else comes to mind as anything more than a 3rd liner. Our forward depth is just bad. I want the Swedes (Petersson, Silfverberg another one I can't remember, I think) to come over here but it doesn't look like that'll happen any time soon.

How is Wick adjusting to AHL action? I'm hoping his slow start is a thing of the past?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum