GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

3 STARS SELECTION + GDT: Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers (Dec 5th, 2010)

+13
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
Riprock
Flo The Action
PTFlea
shabbs
Bramlet07
spader
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Oh settle down, it needed to be done and was the right call. You don't sit Foligno because he hits and fore checks hard, and his been one of our better forwards lately. You don't sit Shannon because the guy works his Donkey of every shift. Ditto Winchester, who (with Foligno and Neil) was part of the best OTT line the night before. I could have understood benching Ruutu, but CC was clearly planning on putting OTT's best and most consistent line (Kelly, Ruutu, Neil) back together (the started the game together) -- and look how that worked out.

Regin has had a ton of games playing in the top 3. He hasn't produced a lot (1 goal in that span), and he's not the sort of guy who goes out and hits and fore checks hard -- so if he's not producing, it makes sense that he sits.

You're making much ado about not very much here.

Laugh1 Oh Roon. I know all that, it's damn lucky for Clouston it all worked out though, benching a young player for not working hard enough is one thing, benching a young player because he's not scoring despite the effort is quite another.

If you knew all that, then you shouldn't have posted that other inane comment. Laugh1

Why was he benched then? Because he's not scoring or because he wasn't competing hard enough? If it was lack of scoring then Foligno should have been benched, because CLEARLY Regin is the better two-way player.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Like I said earlier, SD's sig is the culprit. He's got to "defend" it daily Smile

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And for the record, I don't like what I'm seeing from Clouston this year. I hope it's just growing pains, I assume it is, but he hasn't done a good job this year at all IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Like I said earlier, SD's sig is the culprit. He's got to "defend" it daily Smile

I'm okay with benching Regin, I'm just at a loss when it's him over Foligno - someone who really could benefit from a few games in press row.

The way Winchester and Shannon have been playing, they would be in over Regin right now, so that leaves Ruutu and Foligno if Fisher is going to insist on playing injured. I guess I can deal with Regin for now, but if Clouston's gonna lose faith in him, then I will be none too pleased. I see things in Regin I haven't seen in an Ottawa prospect in a long, long time. Nice puck skills, great two-way play, willing to go into the dirty zones, everything right now except putting the puck in the net. And really...no one's doing that (except for Kelly last night).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, I just read someone's tweet -- Kelly also scored a hat-trick in pre-season. Guess which team they were playing at the time? Just guess. Come on!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote: By the way, I just read someone's tweet -- Kelly also scored a hat-trick in pre-season. Guess which team they were playing at the time? Just guess. Come on!

The Rangers! Lalalala

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Oh settle down, it needed to be done and was the right call. You don't sit Foligno because he hits and fore checks hard, and his been one of our better forwards lately. You don't sit Shannon because the guy works his Donkey of every shift. Ditto Winchester, who (with Foligno and Neil) was part of the best OTT line the night before. I could have understood benching Ruutu, but CC was clearly planning on putting OTT's best and most consistent line (Kelly, Ruutu, Neil) back together (the started the game together) -- and look how that worked out.

Regin has had a ton of games playing in the top 3. He hasn't produced a lot (1 goal in that span), and he's not the sort of guy who goes out and hits and fore checks hard -- so if he's not producing, it makes sense that he sits.

You're making much ado about not very much here.

Laugh1 Oh Roon. I know all that, it's damn lucky for Clouston it all worked out though, benching a young player for not working hard enough is one thing, benching a young player because he's not scoring despite the effort is quite another.

If you knew all that, then you shouldn't have posted that other inane comment. Laugh1

Why was he benched then? Because he's not scoring or because he wasn't competing hard enough? If it was lack of scoring then Foligno should have been benched, because CLEARLY Regin is the better two-way player.

One word: HITTING. Foligno does it, Regin doesn't. This team is playing WAY too soft lately. You don't take out one of the only guys hitting, banging bodies, creating space and opportunities. That goes for Foligno, Winchester, and Neil.

Again, if you're not producing, you need to be doing everything else well. Regin was not. He has not looked all that good, and he is not being physical at all. That makes he more expendable that Foligno and a number of other guys on the team.

Regin will recover, don't worry.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
One word: HITTING. Foligno does it, Regin doesn't. This team is playing WAY too soft lately. You don't take out one of the only guys hitting, banging bodies, creating space and opportunities. That goes for Foligno, Winchester, and Neil.

Again, if you're not producing, you need to be doing everything else well. Regin was not. He has not looked all that good, and he is not being physical at all. That makes he more expendable that Foligno and a number of other guys on the team.

Regin will recover, don't worry.

I can buy into that, this team is playing like tissue paper. I hope Regin takes this time to figure out what he needs to do to get back up into the top 3 - by simplifying his game, shooting more and perhaps a little less 'fancy' moves.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is the Sens website correct? Is Regin *really* 6'2" and 205 lbs? I couldn't believe that when I read it earlier.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Is the Sens website correct? Is Regin *really* 6'2" and 205 lbs? I couldn't believe that when I read it earlier.

why not? Kuba weighs much more, is a defenceman, is taller, and STILL doesn't hit Laugh1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Regin hits, he gets involved in the corners. I think Rooney's point was that Foligno hits *more*.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Butler's an RFA after this year, I think they need to give him a look to see how he fares in the NHL and if/how much to sign him for.

For all of Regin's pluses, he's not producing. He's been at it since last year and hasn't really 'arrived' yet.

If it weren't for his playoff performance he'd be a permanent feature in our pressbox.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Butler's an RFA after this year, I think they need to give him a look to see how he fares in the NHL and if/how much to sign him for.

For all of Regin's pluses, he's not producing. He's been at it since last year and hasn't really 'arrived' yet.

If it weren't for his playoff performance he'd be a permanent feature in our pressbox.

If it weren't for his track record of producing in the AHL and the fact that he plays a solid 2 way game, he'd be a press box guy, but he's got a lot to offer.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

If it weren't for his track record of producing in the AHL and the fact that he plays a solid 2 way game, he'd be a press box guy, but he's got a lot to offer.

True but the team needs goals (badly) and a little shakeup wouldn't hurt.

It'll be interesting to see how he goes and how many games CC gives him.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Regin hits, he gets involved in the corners. I think Rooney's point was that Foligno hits *more*.

Regin doesn't hit, not even close. Kelly hits more even with less ice time. Kelly has also take more shots on goal than Regin. Not per-game, but in total.

The afore-mentioned Kuba has one hit less than Regin, and Regin has played more than twice as many games.

Ryan freakin' Shannon has double the hits.

Regin is outhitting Spezza -- by one hit. Point is, he's just like Spezza but with less talent. I'm not saying he doesn't belong, but if he's on the top line with Spezza that line is too soft, and all the hitting is left to Alfie and his aging carcass.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

More fun with stats. Regin is actually leading the team in takeaways. Like I said, he *does* have a place.

What I found fairly educational is Spezza is 9th on the team in giveaways. Now, before you all jump down my throat that those are subjective stats, I am comparing Spezza to *other* Senators, and not the league. Also, last season Spezza was *3rd* on the team. That's a significant improvement (or the rest of his team mates have sucked badly).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Regin hits, he gets involved in the corners. I think Rooney's point was that Foligno hits *more*.

Regin doesn't hit, not even close. Kelly hits more even with less ice time. Kelly has also take more shots on goal than Regin. Not per-game, but in total.

The afore-mentioned Kuba has one hit less than Regin, and Regin has played more than twice as many games.

Ryan freakin' Shannon has double the hits.

Regin is outhitting Spezza -- by one hit. Point is, he's just like Spezza but with less talent. I'm not saying he doesn't belong, but if he's on the top line with Spezza that line is too soft, and all the hitting is left to Alfie and his aging carcass.

I'm not sure that's the best indicator. He doesn't go out of his way to land huge hits, but he initiates contact in the corners, or cycling.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They all count -- Kelly doesn't go for big hits either. Shannon, well, he's just physically incapable. I know it's just stats, but you said "Regin hits" and I'm saying nuh-uh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum