GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

So lets say Volchie doesn't sign.... then what?

+13
sens4win
wprager
Ev
Riprock
Phoenix30
Jordo
PKC
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
PTFlea
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Jordo wrote:Dishing out Kovalev to Montreal sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm not sure they do that.
They know that he's coming back after his term anyway- so why waste anything on him? I guess you can argue that they may need his talent right away...but I'm still doubting they would give us anything for him, even if they take him- i doubt they'd want that contract on their books.
I think you're dreaming in technicolour if you think that we'll be 5 mil lighter next year, at least from Kovalev anyway.

EDIT: Did I say talent? I meant to say lazy, Donkey-dragging, good for nothing, joke in horrible taste.

Agreed. Kovie WILL be a Sen next year. 100%.

I can see Leclaire being shopped however. I said this before but a one-for-one with Philly for Gagne seems like the most reasonable trade scenario for both sides. Both injury prone, but both have potential to be impact players. Imagine a guy like Gagne playing with Spezza? Brodeur seems like a capable back-up with Elliott being the bonafide #1.

If Volch goes, Sutton 100% re-signs and Karlsson becomes our #2, Kuba-Sutton, and Carkner-Lee-Campoli with Cowen in the wings.

Otherwise I think Ottawa looks within to fill the holes. Donovan out, Smith in. Add someone like Gagne move Michalek to the right wing, Alfie down with Kovalev and Regin, bump Fish to the third line with Foligno and Shannon, and have a Neil, Smith, Ruuttu line with Keller being a healthy scratch. If Shannon struggles, Keller comes in.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You know what I find amusing? Tim Thomas is no longer the 'go to guy' in Boston - which is fine, Rask is great, but Thomas is the reigning Vezina winner and his save % is .914 - his GAA 2.57. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

He has a losing record, but that's mostly because the Bs suck like a vacuum in scoring.

Problem is he's on the hook for 3 more years. He's gonna be an absolute steal for whatever team can acquire him from Boston this summer.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:
Did you even bother reading what you wrote before you posted it? If you want to encourage discussion, at minimum make a decent point or pose a question worth debating. Deluding yourself into thinking that Volchenkov, a UFA defenseman who's going to go for big money, is going to return you a first round pick should have been the first warning sign that what you were going to write was going to be unrealistic.

Dumping half the team's UFAs and skilled secondary players in exchange for cap space is about is ridiculous as it gets.

Come on PKC, let's keep it civil.

That is civil, to be honest. I don't see how starting discussion by saying we should trade an impending UFA defenseman for a first round pick is realistic. I mean, when in the history of hockey, has that ever happened? Bouwmeester who's a considerably better overall defenseman than Volchenkov returned a 3rd round pick and a scrub.

I just don't know. Maybe I don't see it.

Here, I'll try to start some conversation:

We should trade Daniel Alfredsson because this team won't win the Stanley Cup this year and it would be nice to get a return for him and get his cap hit off the books.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:You know what I find amusing? Tim Thomas is no longer the 'go to guy' in Boston - which is fine, Rask is great, but Thomas is the reigning Vezina winner and his save % is .914 - his GAA 2.57. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

He has a losing record, but that's mostly because the Bs suck like a vacuum in scoring.

Problem is he's on the hook for 3 more years. He's gonna be an absolute steal for whatever team can acquire him from Boston this summer.

What makes you think he's on the block?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:You know what I find amusing? Tim Thomas is no longer the 'go to guy' in Boston - which is fine, Rask is great, but Thomas is the reigning Vezina winner and his save % is .914 - his GAA 2.57. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

A steal? for who? They got 2 first round picks and a 2nd for Kessel, if anything Boston is salivating at the possible return and they don't even have to deal him. Watch Burke trade the 1st rounder from 2012 to get Thomas So lets say Volchie doesn't sign.... then what? - Page 4 270956

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:

What makes you think he's on the block?

I'll wait to see what happens in the playoffs, but they've been riding Rask like a pony, I don't know if they need Thomas anymore to be honest - and as a recent Vezina winner with nice numbers, they might be able to solve some of their scoring woes.

Nothing concrete, just my thoughts on what could happen.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:A steal? for who? They got 2 first round picks and a 2nd for Kessel, if anything Boston is salivating at the possible return and they don't even have to deal him. Watch Burke trade the 1st rounder from 2012 to get Thomas So lets say Volchie doesn't sign.... then what? - Page 4 270956

Well yeah, the Kessel deal was ludicrous, it hurt the Bruins very, very badly as well though. But I'm thinking a team like the Oilers comes around and offers something that makes sense for both teams (read: not an overpayment) and he kills it in Edmonton.

With 3 more years left at 5 million he's not gonna be a major piece on the trade market IMO, but they'll be able to get something for him for sure. I just think the team that gets Thomas is gonna be the winner.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I think Kelly becomes expendable. Zack can step in for cheaper. With Kelly's great year his value is higher and he could get a decent prospect or pick only with the cap savings he would provide.

I'd really like to see Atrain, Sutton, and Cullen resigned. All provide an element this team needs moving forward. Regardless how good he may be in the locker room for the younger guys his 5million is too much to carry. Hopefully its his contract that gets moved at the deadline. Maybe 2 teams looking for a bit of star power to bring them along for 1 year. Maybe Edmonton or Florida. yeah not likely but one can dream.

Rookie
Rookie

Phoenix30 wrote:I think Kelly becomes expendable. Zack can step in for cheaper. With Kelly's great year his value is higher and he could get a decent prospect or pick only with the cap savings he would provide.

My thoughts exactly. That's Why I included him in the ship out portion.

http://www.theempirescoresback.blogspot.com

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you're right. Worst case scenario, we move Kovalev and Leclaire by the deadline next year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michael Fisher Portnoy II wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:I think Kelly becomes expendable. Zack can step in for cheaper. With Kelly's great year his value is higher and he could get a decent prospect or pick only with the cap savings he would provide.

That's so tricky though. Kelly's a guy you want to have on your team if you plan on playing with the lead - which I assume we want to do next year as well, so it opens up a massive hole. That hole could be filled by Mike Fisher, but I doubt we're paying him 4.2 mil to be a 3rd line center.

How do we know Z.Smith can play at the same level as Kelly? I have a bad feeling about moving Kelly, I was ALL for it earlier in the year or last summer (can't remember), but now that we're doing a little more winning than losing he becomes as important to us as anyone.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

You don't trade Kelly because Zack SMith has played a few good games.
A full calendar year regular with the Sens should be the minimum if we want to replace a certain player with another. You want the minimum in terms of question marks.

I'd really like to see Atrain, Sutton, and Cullen resigned. All provide an element this team needs moving forward. Regardless how good he may be in the locker room for the younger guys his 5million is too much to carry. Hopefully its his contract that gets moved at the deadline. Maybe 2 teams looking for a bit of star power to bring them along for 1 year. Maybe Edmonton or Florida. yeah not likely but one can dream.

Smith cant do what Kelly does, why do people keep saying it around here? Kelly is a 35-40 point guy every year, a leader, one of the best PK men in The NHL, and outside of Alfi, he is The Sens most conistant forward. The guy hardly ever gets hurt, scores big goals, and can slip in anywhere in the lineup.

Trading Kelly is stupid, period. Anyone who thinks what Kelly does game in and game out can be had for less then 2.1 mil should just stop talking right now.

Shipping Kelly out is stupid. Read comment above.

SpezDispenser wrote:

That's so tricky though. Kelly's a guy you want to have on your team if you plan on playing with the lead - which I assume we want to do next year as well, so it opens up a massive hole. That hole could be filled by Mike Fisher, but I doubt we're paying him 4.2 mil to be a 3rd line center.

How do we know Z.Smith can play at the same level as Kelly? I have a bad feeling about moving Kelly, I was ALL for it earlier in the year or last summer (can't remember), but now that we're doing a little more winning than losing he becomes as important to us as anyone.

Kelly has opened up the scoring for The Sens 3 times in the last 2 weeks... you need him with a lead, in a tie, or when you are down. Kelly is one of the most important parts of that team and his cap hit is minimal. 800K more then Brian LEe when he's up.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Oh gotta love GM arm chairing.

Here is an idea.

Kovalev, Leclaire, and Campoli for Vokoun, Horton and a pick or prospect.

Both teams get something and the cap hit is close. Vokoun comes in for 1 year and shores up our net and horton provides a big body up front.

Florida gets a young kid in Leclaire who can rebound and flourish in an environment where hockey doesn't matter. Kovalev also brings a bit of star power to the roster and may excel further outside of a hockey market. Campoli adds their defence.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:

Smith cant do what Kelly does, why do people keep saying it around here? Kelly is a 35-40 point guy every year, a leader, one of the best PK men in The NHL, and outside of Alfi, he is The Sens most conistant forward. The guy hardly ever gets hurt, scores big goals, and can slip in anywhere in the lineup.

Trading Kelly is stupid, period. Anyone who thinks what Kelly does game in and game out can be had for less then 2.1 mil should just stop talking right now.

Cullen also can replace him and brings more scoring. Either way the Sens have too many centers and yes Kelly brings a certain element but something needs to give. Fisher has a NTC that does not change to limit NTC until after next season and I have been more impressed with Cullen than Kelly for the extra bit he can bring so I would not be surprised to see him moved to address another need elsewhere.

I like Cullen and hope The Sens can get him under contract but Cullen still isnt Kelly in terms of his stature in Ottawa and how he has come along in the system. Cullen has more offensive upside for sure, but there is no way you are going to get Cullen for under 2.1 mil to begin with.

There is no way Murray trades a guy bread to play in Ottawa who has a cap hit of 2.1 mil and plays the role he does. No shot. We can all stop talking about it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum