GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

So lets say Volchie doesn't sign.... then what?

+13
sens4win
wprager
Ev
Riprock
Phoenix30
Jordo
PKC
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
PTFlea
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Rookie
Rookie

No way Fish waives his NTC to go anywhere other than Nashville, Dallas, or Phoenix. Unless Carrie wants to live in New York.

http://www.theempirescoresback.blogspot.com

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

DirtyDave wrote:what about Foligno, Fisher, Leclaire, Vochenkov and 2nd?

for

Mike Richards

this is starting to look like my SIM trades

Goodness gracious no. That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too much to give up.

Rookie
Rookie

SensGirl11 wrote:

for

Mike Richards

Agreed. Besides, they won't want Fish anyways. If they ship out anyone, it's Carter anyhow.

I really believe we'll resign Sutton, and then keep either Volchenkov or Kuba (probably Kuba). I think Campoli will sign a low price 1 year deal hoping to prove himself to either the Sens or another team next year.

Phillips-Volchenkov/Kuba
Sutton - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner
Lee

I don't see a reason to rush Cowen unless he blows the Murrays away in Camp and the first 9 games.

Weircioch should have a nice full season in the AHL with a possible callup at some point.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would like to hear the news of a re-signing of Sutton soon please.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Not that I want to break the conversation here or anything, but until the Sens' season is over, it's impossible to talk about certain things.
The question of the thread for instance: "Let's say Volchie doesn't sign"
Depending on how far the Sens go and how good Volchie performs compared to Sutton, he might be forced to overpay and let Sutton go. Or the other way around. If Sutton plays out of this world his value raises. That's what's sickening with UFAs. THey suck, you don't want to re-sign them, they outperform you overpay. I certainly don't want the Sens to become the new Edmonton Oilers that overpays because of one amazing playoff.
So if we lose Volchie in the open market for nothing, well good riddance I won't cry.

Then you have to re-sign your RFAs. Regin, Campoli, Winchester and Foligno are gonna be super cheap so it would be a huge mistake to trade them because you need to replace them on the roster and you won't find the same value/price on the open market. Unless you can package them and get a 1st round pick. Volchenkov's rights + Foligno for prospect + pick, something like that. Main goal is to get cap space obviously.
Zack Smith is ready IMO. We just re-signed Shannon. Donovan is gonzo for sure, and the others are locked up.
If you ask me, Kuba is traded to re-sign Volchenkov and Sutton, especially if he keeps missing games and the team is successful without him.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:

for

Mike Richards

Are you serious? You get a 24 year old captain, 1st line center at 5M who can play in all situations and you give 5+M in cap space?
I sign today, right now, if Philly offers that.

But, please guys, let's stop talking about trades that don't make sense.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:If you ask me, Kuba is traded to re-sign Volchenkov and Sutton, especially if he keeps missing games and the team is successful without him.

If we trade Kuba, we're gonna need to get a real puck mover to take his place. Not sure who, but taking Kuba out makes this a defensive D to the max. Almost no outlets etc.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:If you ask me, Kuba is traded to re-sign Volchenkov and Sutton, especially if he keeps missing games and the team is successful without him.

If we trade Kuba, we're gonna need to get a real puck mover to take his place. Not sure who, but taking Kuba out makes this a defensive D to the max. Almost no outlets etc.

Philips, Sutton, Karlsson and Campoli are all good at moving the puck. I haven't seen a lot of trouble from our D to move the puck in the last 2 games.
Just play the system.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Philips, Sutton, Karlsson and Campoli are all good at moving the puck. I haven't seen a lot of trouble from our D to move the puck in the last 2 games.
Just play the system.

Yeah, the last two games are better, but there's a reason we scored so few goals this year and that has everything to do with the fact that our only true transition D-men are Kuba, Karlsson and Campoli. Karlsson is a 19 year old rookie who has absolutely and positively been doing his part at outletting passes, Campoli has been either injured or crappy all year and Kuba's habitually hurt.

That doesn't bode well for scoring more goals next year. Once and for all this team needs to take a long hard look at the back end and decide if a Gonchar is more important than Volchekov and Kuba (they'd have to go to make room).

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Michael Fisher Portnoy II wrote:Alright… you may not want to read this, but hear me out here. Lets say B-Murr decide to cut bait with a handful of guys, either via trade, or burying them in the minors (like Cheech). How about this? Volchie will get a HUGE offer on the UFA market and Ottawa will not be able to sign him, and Murray deals his rights at the draft. Where does he go? Who needs him? Talk is Washington, Detroit, and maybe Phoenix. So who comes back? Will it just be a pick, or will the Bryan go after players? Let’s assume it’s a high pick, hell, maybe even a first…. Then, maybe he pulls off another shocker and deals Kovy back to Montreal or wherever. That’s now 7.5M in cap space open. Keep Cheech in the minors? 10.5M. Off load Kelly? 13M. Snoopy? 16.5M. If he doesn’t resign Sutton and Cullen 21.5M. GONE!

All of a sudden, you’ve dumped a bunch of dead weight (except Kelly) and you have a Dung of cap to work with. Now, are you willing to let the young guys take a shot? Let’s say you can get Cullen and Sutton to come back for 2.5 each over two years (reasonable at their age). Foligno and Regin resign for 1.5 each over two years….Your team now looks like this…. At 43M. 13M in cap space would be kind of nice with this team still intact like this. This also assume none of our prospects pull a Carks and force us to keep them (although that wouldn’t be half bad)

Regin – Spezza – Michalak
Fisher – Cullen – Alfie
Ruutu – Foligno – Neil
Winch – O’Brien – Z.Smith

Kuba – Phillips
Sutton – Karlsson
Blee – Carks

Elliott
Brodeur

Discuss amongst yourselves….

Did you even bother reading what you wrote before you posted it? If you want to encourage discussion, at minimum make a decent point or pose a question worth debating. Deluding yourself into thinking that Volchenkov, a UFA defenseman who's going to go for big money, is going to return you a first round pick should have been the first warning sign that what you were going to write was going to be unrealistic.

Dumping half the team's UFAs and skilled secondary players in exchange for cap space is about is ridiculous as it gets.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Just play the system.

Yeah, the last two games are better, but there's a reason we scored so few goals this year and that has everything to do with the fact that our only true transition D-men are Kuba, Karlsson and Campoli. Karlsson is a 19 year old rookie who has absolutely and positively been doing his part at outletting passes, Campoli has been either injured or crappy all year and Kuba's habitually hurt.

That doesn't bode well for scoring more goals next year. Once and for all this team needs to take a long hard look at the back end and decide if a Gonchar is more important than Volchekov and Kuba (they'd have to go to make room).

Most of the teams in the league are like that. How many teams have more than 3 offensive first guys in the line up? Sutton and Philips are very good at moving the puck.

Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:
Did you even bother reading what you wrote before you posted it? If you want to encourage discussion, at minimum make a decent point or pose a question worth debating. Deluding yourself into thinking that Volchenkov, a UFA defenseman who's going to go for big money, is going to return you a first round pick should have been the first warning sign that what you were going to write was going to be unrealistic. Dumping half the team's UFAs and skilled secondary players in exchange for cap space is about is ridiculous as it gets.

Actually, The return on Volchenkov really doesn't factor into my discussion at all outside of him not featuring in the line up and freeing his cap hit. Secondly the players mentioned are players who have been mentioned throughout the season for either below average play, or for their tradability.

Clearly It has sparked some conversation, which is what it intended to do. Besides. We're all mostly a bunch of armchair GMs discussing what we would hope for, so ultimately, NONE of this is realistic.

If you don;t want to take part, pi$$ off.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Dishing out Kovalev to Montreal sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm not sure they do that.
They know that he's coming back after his term anyway- so why waste anything on him? I guess you can argue that they may need his talent right away...but I'm still doubting they would give us anything for him, even if they take him- i doubt they'd want that contract on their books.
I think you're dreaming in technicolour if you think that we'll be 5 mil lighter next year, at least from Kovalev anyway.

EDIT: Did I say talent? I meant to say lazy, Donkey-dragging, good for nothing, joke in horrible taste.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
Did you even bother reading what you wrote before you posted it? If you want to encourage discussion, at minimum make a decent point or pose a question worth debating. Deluding yourself into thinking that Volchenkov, a UFA defenseman who's going to go for big money, is going to return you a first round pick should have been the first warning sign that what you were going to write was going to be unrealistic.

Dumping half the team's UFAs and skilled secondary players in exchange for cap space is about is ridiculous as it gets.

Come on PKC, let's keep it civil.

Jordo wrote:Dishing out Kovalev to Montreal sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm not sure they do that.
They know that he's coming back after his term anyway- so why waste anything on him? I guess you can argue that they may need his talent right away...but I'm still doubting they would give us anything for him, even if they take him- i doubt they'd want that contract on their books.
I think you're dreaming in technicolour if you think that we'll be 5 mil lighter next year, at least from Kovalev anyway.

EDIT: Did I say talent? I meant to say lazy, Donkey-dragging, good for nothing, joke in horrible taste.

Agreed. Kovie WILL be a Sen next year. 100%.

I can see Leclaire being shopped however. I said this before but a one-for-one with Philly for Gagne seems like the most reasonable trade scenario for both sides. Both injury prone, but both have potential to be impact players. Imagine a guy like Gagne playing with Spezza? Brodeur seems like a capable back-up with Elliott being the bonafide #1.

If Volch goes, Sutton 100% re-signs and Karlsson becomes our #2, Kuba-Sutton, and Carkner-Lee-Campoli with Cowen in the wings.

Otherwise I think Ottawa looks within to fill the holes. Donovan out, Smith in. Add someone like Gagne move Michalek to the right wing, Alfie down with Kovalev and Regin, bump Fish to the third line with Foligno and Shannon, and have a Neil, Smith, Ruuttu line with Keller being a healthy scratch. If Shannon struggles, Keller comes in.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You know what I find amusing? Tim Thomas is no longer the 'go to guy' in Boston - which is fine, Rask is great, but Thomas is the reigning Vezina winner and his save % is .914 - his GAA 2.57. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

He has a losing record, but that's mostly because the Bs suck like a vacuum in scoring.

Problem is he's on the hook for 3 more years. He's gonna be an absolute steal for whatever team can acquire him from Boston this summer.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:

Come on PKC, let's keep it civil.

That is civil, to be honest. I don't see how starting discussion by saying we should trade an impending UFA defenseman for a first round pick is realistic. I mean, when in the history of hockey, has that ever happened? Bouwmeester who's a considerably better overall defenseman than Volchenkov returned a 3rd round pick and a scrub.

I just don't know. Maybe I don't see it.

Here, I'll try to start some conversation:

We should trade Daniel Alfredsson because this team won't win the Stanley Cup this year and it would be nice to get a return for him and get his cap hit off the books.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum