GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert

+10
Acrobat
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert Empty lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:25 am

Sophomore
Sophomore

that would free up 3.5 million and then we could sign prospal.

prospal spezza heatley
alfie regin kovalev
foligno fisher shannon
rutuu kelly neil

Thats a hell of a line up with potential to have 9 players with 20+ goals.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Super. :___:

Leftie

I want Bass on the 4th line. Badly.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

How do you figure Regin gets second line center position? He's not quite there yet.

This is literally the worst idea I have ever heard on so many levels...

First TAMPA doesn't want Prospal and we are putting him on our top line?

Second WAIVE Smith? So we take one of the classier leaders in the league and slap him in the face with a waiving while our credibility is in question with the Heatley fiasco? Players will line up to come here...

Bad I idea....

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I was gonna counter that Tampa doesn't want Prospal's salary but they are no where near the cap... very odd...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:I was gonna counter that Tampa doesn't want Prospal's salary but they are no where near the cap... very odd...

Barrie probably is looking to scrape some cash somehow to back up the letter of credit he submitted to Bettman in lieu of cash in order to show him the money, sorta. Vertigo

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:Super. :___:

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert 2251502_795a1bc7e5

P.S. Seriously, we need that as a smiley.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Better prepare for the backlash for stating my personal thoughts, but...

I could just care less for these players on our team:
Ruutu, Smith, Phillips

There's probably a few more, like Kelly, Donovan, and Schubert, that could be replaced by younger players, but Shubert and Donovan are cheap fillers.

While these guys might be "nice" and "classy" or whatever, I'd just rather see other players in those spots.

Take Ruutu out and you can plug Bass in. Take Donovan out, Regin in. Take Kelly out, either of those two, or call up another young player (Weller, Condra, etc).

Smith is just worn out and I respect him and all that, but he's taking a spot from a younger, cheaper player with more potential.

Phillips just, as I see it, not as good a player as he is made out to be. I could see Cowen easily replacing him shortly. Hell, if you are a team in rebuild, he would be there already (Bogosian, Doughty, etc).

Would you take a chance at missing the playoffs (not that making it is a guarnatee) and put Wiercioch, Kalrsson and Cowen in the blue line in place of, say, Phillips, Smith and Kuba/Picard/Lee? What about taking Ruutu, Donovan and Kelly out for Regin, Bass, and Zubov? All for the risk you don't make it to post-season, but at the reward of these guys gaining valuable experience and becoming great players.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:While these guys might be "nice" and "classy" or whatever, I'd just rather see other players in those spots.

Nice and classy gets you big contracts and plum icetime minutes in Ottawa.

Youth and talent gets you call-ups for 4th line checking duties occasionally.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well, someone who agrees with me (i think). It sucks as a fan to see contracts given to old players while your young prospects age, do not develop, and get lost to free agency.

Dash wrote:Better prepare for the backlash for stating my personal thoughts, but...

I could just care less for these players on our team:
Ruutu, Smith, Phillips

There's probably a few more, like Kelly, Donovan, and Schubert, that could be replaced by younger players, but Shubert and Donovan are cheap fillers.

While these guys might be "nice" and "classy" or whatever, I'd just rather see other players in those spots.

Take Ruutu out and you can plug Bass in. Take Donovan out, Regin in. Take Kelly out, either of those two, or call up another young player (Weller, Condra, etc).

Smith is just worn out and I respect him and all that, but he's taking a spot from a younger, cheaper player with more potential.

Phillips just, as I see it, not as good a player as he is made out to be. I could see Cowen easily replacing him shortly. Hell, if you are a team in rebuild, he would be there already (Bogosian, Doughty, etc).

Would you take a chance at missing the playoffs (not that making it is a guarnatee) and put Wiercioch, Kalrsson and Cowen in the blue line in place of, say, Phillips, Smith and Kuba/Picard/Lee? What about taking Ruutu, Donovan and Kelly out for Regin, Bass, and Zubov? All for the risk you don't make it to post-season, but at the reward of these guys gaining valuable experience and becoming great players.

Schubert = Phillips = Donovan = Smith = Ruutu... none of them are the same player.

I guess experience and character doesn't matter? I don't have enough time to express how much I actually disagree... but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Unreal how little respect Phillips gets. Cowen EASILY replaces him shortly? That's not even an opinion, that's a stupid comment. Tell me how Cowen replaces almost 15 years of expierence, leadership, and being engraved into the Ottawa community like he is...

Cowen might one day be better then Phillips ever was but to say Cowen can step right in and easily play against the leagues top players... haha, WOW.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:Well, someone who agrees with me (i think). It sucks as a fan to see contracts given to old players while your young prospects age, do not develop, and get lost to free agency.

I agree to a certain extent. Only Schubert, Donovan and Ruutu are signed to cheap deals.

I don't have a problem with Kelly only he would have to be dealt so we can retain (Elliott) and possibly promote (Regin) some of the young players we're talking about. Meanwhile we keep choking on the biggest "nice" and "classy" deal in the organization. But that's the way it goes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum