GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert

+10
Acrobat
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Sophomore
Sophomore

I know Smith is well respected around the league but c'mon, it was a failed experiment. Murray should just go to him and say it's our plan to waive you if you don't retire. Give him the choice of how he wants to end his career but make it clear it is over.
If Prospal scored 19 goal last year, you don't think he would improve with Spezza and Heatley?? Sarcasm

Ya, lets get rid of Smith and take on prospal... good call bud. Lets bring in Comrie, Skyora, and Satan as well, maybe we can put together a team that has so little character the games will be shown in black and white on TV.

Get real bud, forcing a guy like Smith to retire? Do you really believe what you say or just want to sound stupid?

Neely4Life wrote:Ya, lets get rid of Smith and take on prospal... good call bud. Lets bring in Comrie, Skyora, and Satan as well, maybe we can put together a team that has so little character the games will be shown in black and white on TV.

Get real bud, forcing a guy like Smith to retire? Do you really believe what you say or just want to sound stupid?
I guess your break from this site didn't produce a kinder, gentler N4L. :^^^^:

Not with crap like "force Smith to retire or waive him, but lets sign Prospal". He's has also been begging for Comrie to come back as well. I think he is either 12, 13 years old or disabled in some way, only thing that makes sense.

Dash wrote:If Heatley's still on the books, something's gotta give. Elliott is still either unsigned or has, and they aren't making it official until room is cleared. Murray will want a buffer as well as he normally does for deadline moves.

There's only so much room you can clear by sending players down, and I don't know the numbers right now, but I'm pretty sure a more significant number needs to be removed, and Schubert, Picard and Campoli (not that I would trade him) are neither.

What deadline moves? Laughing3

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:There is absolutly no spot for Schubert in Ottawa.

With Heatley looking like he is going to stay, Ottawa could have a very scary lineup if Heatley man's up... he's going to have to.

I can't believe we are seeing "Heatley" and "mans up" in the same sentence...
More incredibly, some actually expect it to happen...

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

RobbyJ wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Ya, lets get rid of Smith and take on prospal... good call bud. Lets bring in Comrie, Skyora, and Satan as well, maybe we can put together a team that has so little character the games will be shown in black and white on TV.

I guess your break from this site didn't produce a kinder, gentler N4L. :^^^^:

Perhaps that was the "kinder, gentler N4L"...

It all depends... Ottawa's season can go either way.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
Dash wrote:If Heatley's still on the books, something's gotta give. Elliott is still either unsigned or has, and they aren't making it official until room is cleared. Murray will want a buffer as well as he normally does for deadline moves.

There's only so much room you can clear by sending players down, and I don't know the numbers right now, but I'm pretty sure a more significant number needs to be removed, and Schubert, Picard and Campoli (not that I would trade him) are neither.

The only moves that Ottawa will be making at the deadline are to move people out - it is extremely unlikely that the current roster (even with both Heatley and Kovalev) will be in a position to challenge for the cup. Making the playoffs will be considered a successful year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We can get just under the cap with Lee and Regin in Bingo and no more than $825K to Elliott. Foligno can be sent down as well, saving another $850K plus some bonus money. I would hate to do that.

As much as I'd love to move Schubert to clear some space, if he's replaced in the lineup by a 7th D -- either Lee or Karlsson -- then we're actually losing cap space, as both of them have a higher cap hit. If Smith is playing then we can't afford *not to* carry a 7th D-man; if he's not playing then we're fine and don't need to move anyone.

We're in a bit of a pickle but nothing major -- just some young guys won't be getting a chance to play.

Foligno will not be sent down. He would be asking for a trade the next day, and rightyfully so. He has earned his spot on this team.

Lee though, if The Sens are over the cap come training camp, that's the guy getting sent down to Bingo.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:Foligno will not be sent down. He would be asking for a trade the next day, and rightyfully so. He has earned his spot on this team.

Lee though, if The Sens are over the cap come training camp, that's the guy getting sent down to Bingo.

Even with Lee in Bingo, we are still $100k over the cap, carrying only one extra player. It's with 12 forwards, and 7 dmen: Picard, Campoli, Schubert, Smith, Volchenkov, Phillips and Kuba. And that is also with the assumption that we sign Elliott to the rumoured $1M. Of those 7, my vote is to send Schubert packing, but it's yet to be done, so who knows.

Sophomore
Sophomore

The problem with boards like these, is there is always some tool who thinks they are smarter than anyone else. If someone puts out an idea, they don't put forth an intelligent rebuttal, but instead resort to the lowest common denominator-insults. It's nice to see N4L has taken it upon himself to keep the trend alive. Thanks "bud".

I ignore Nelly (thank you for this feature Admin's). Click on profile and then friends and foes I think. Add him to foe obviously and you will never see another post of his.

Oh, and stop quoting him so I don't have to see his holier than thou/negativity that only he brings to this quality site.

Sooner or later he will leave as everyone will have him blocked.

Or better yet, he could find a new "favorite" team and go on their teams forum and spread his "love" for said team on that board. It's called trolling.

111519 wrote:

The problem with boards like these, is there is always some tool who thinks they are smarter than anyone else. If someone puts out an idea, they don't put forth an intelligent rebuttal, but instead resort to the lowest common denominator-insults. It's nice to see N4L has taken it upon himself to keep the trend alive. Thanks "bud".

No prob, I'm sure the team with Comrie and Prospal is going straight to the top of their division and above. You put forth an idea, great, doesnt make it smart. Lots of dumb idea's out there, some people are just too polite to not call you out on it, I'm not.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:
111519 wrote:

No prob, I'm sure the team with Comrie and Prospal is going straight to the top of their division and above. You put forth an idea, great, doesnt make it smart. Lots of dumb idea's out there, some people are just too polite to not call you out on it, I'm not.

Keep proving my point, I'm enjoying it.

Awesome! If you want me to go into great detail about why Waiving/forcing Smith is an absolutly moronic and embarassing thing for the organzation to do, I will. You may not actually understand it because it involved a lot of common sense, but if you would like me to, just ask.

I'm sure there are others on this site that can probably give you the same opinion and even others who hate the Smith contract but know well enough that the idea you put out there is absolutly rediculous.

I wouldnt even be ripping on you that much about it if you didnt finish it off with "sign Prospal". Lets embarass a vet who gives everything to the teams he plays on, been the captain of two of those teams, and go ahead and sign a guy that just had 3 years bought out. A team would rather have his salary on the books for 6 years then actually have him on the team, lets go sign Yashin too! That would be just fantastic.

Prospal/Yashin/Comrie... wow, hand us the cup!!!!!

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
hemlock wrote:

The only moves that Ottawa will be making at the deadline are to move people out - it is extremely unlikely that the current roster (even with both Heatley and Kovalev) will be in a position to challenge for the cup. Making the playoffs will be considered a successful year.

I very much doubt you'll see the Sens moving players out at the deadline (barring massive injuries *knocks on wood*).

I think we should be able to get a pretty firm grasp on a play-off spot this season. The goaltending position with Leclaire and Elliott is IMO much more stable than it was at the start of last season with Darths Gerber and (M)auld.

Clouston's thus far shown himself to be a much superior coach to Hartsburg as well, and the Sens don't have to start the season in Sweden.

Defence is probably still our weak point, but Campoli's here from the get-go, which gives us, with Kuba, Phillips and Volchenkov, a solid (if average) top-4. Then young kids like Picard and Lee are a year older and (presumably) wiser, and you'll have some even younger blue-chippers hoping to nail down a spot.

Our forward group looks as good as it has in a long time IMO. Obviously even with its relatively poor year, CASH is one of the finest lines in hockey. FFS also showed some great chemistry (and Foligno hopefully will maintain his momentum from the end of last season). Kovalev then gives us the finest supporting offensive player CASH has seen since Havlat (and even then, he was injured for most of that season). On top of all this, we have a very promising rookie in Regin.

All this is assuming Heatley stays, of course. And while I wouldn't necessarily put up our roster against, say, Philadelphia's, I don't think it would be inconceivable for a non-Murray/Muckler GM to look for a big-time defensive piece at the deadline.

Shrug

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum