GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert

+10
Acrobat
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:
111519 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Ya, lets get rid of Smith and take on prospal... good call bud. Lets bring in Comrie, Skyora, and Satan as well, maybe we can put together a team that has so little character the games will be shown in black and white on TV.

Get real bud, forcing a guy like Smith to retire? Do you really believe what you say or just want to sound stupid?

The problem with boards like these, is there is always some tool who thinks they are smarter than anyone else. If someone puts out an idea, they don't put forth an intelligent rebuttal, but instead resort to the lowest common denominator-insults. It's nice to see N4L has taken it upon himself to keep the trend alive. Thanks "bud".

No prob, I'm sure the team with Comrie and Prospal is going straight to the top of their division and above. You put forth an idea, great, doesnt make it smart. Lots of dumb idea's out there, some people are just too polite to not call you out on it, I'm not.

Keep proving my point, I'm enjoying it.

Awesome! If you want me to go into great detail about why Waiving/forcing Smith is an absolutly moronic and embarassing thing for the organzation to do, I will. You may not actually understand it because it involved a lot of common sense, but if you would like me to, just ask.

I'm sure there are others on this site that can probably give you the same opinion and even others who hate the Smith contract but know well enough that the idea you put out there is absolutly rediculous.

I wouldnt even be ripping on you that much about it if you didnt finish it off with "sign Prospal". Lets embarass a vet who gives everything to the teams he plays on, been the captain of two of those teams, and go ahead and sign a guy that just had 3 years bought out. A team would rather have his salary on the books for 6 years then actually have him on the team, lets go sign Yashin too! That would be just fantastic.

Prospal/Yashin/Comrie... wow, hand us the cup!!!!!

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Dash wrote:If Heatley's still on the books, something's gotta give. Elliott is still either unsigned or has, and they aren't making it official until room is cleared. Murray will want a buffer as well as he normally does for deadline moves.

There's only so much room you can clear by sending players down, and I don't know the numbers right now, but I'm pretty sure a more significant number needs to be removed, and Schubert, Picard and Campoli (not that I would trade him) are neither.

What deadline moves? Laughing3

The only moves that Ottawa will be making at the deadline are to move people out - it is extremely unlikely that the current roster (even with both Heatley and Kovalev) will be in a position to challenge for the cup. Making the playoffs will be considered a successful year.

I very much doubt you'll see the Sens moving players out at the deadline (barring massive injuries *knocks on wood*).

I think we should be able to get a pretty firm grasp on a play-off spot this season. The goaltending position with Leclaire and Elliott is IMO much more stable than it was at the start of last season with Darths Gerber and (M)auld.

Clouston's thus far shown himself to be a much superior coach to Hartsburg as well, and the Sens don't have to start the season in Sweden.

Defence is probably still our weak point, but Campoli's here from the get-go, which gives us, with Kuba, Phillips and Volchenkov, a solid (if average) top-4. Then young kids like Picard and Lee are a year older and (presumably) wiser, and you'll have some even younger blue-chippers hoping to nail down a spot.

Our forward group looks as good as it has in a long time IMO. Obviously even with its relatively poor year, CASH is one of the finest lines in hockey. FFS also showed some great chemistry (and Foligno hopefully will maintain his momentum from the end of last season). Kovalev then gives us the finest supporting offensive player CASH has seen since Havlat (and even then, he was injured for most of that season). On top of all this, we have a very promising rookie in Regin.

All this is assuming Heatley stays, of course. And while I wouldn't necessarily put up our roster against, say, Philadelphia's, I don't think it would be inconceivable for a non-Murray/Muckler GM to look for a big-time defensive piece at the deadline.

Shrug

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
Dash wrote:If Heatley's still on the books, something's gotta give. Elliott is still either unsigned or has, and they aren't making it official until room is cleared. Murray will want a buffer as well as he normally does for deadline moves.

There's only so much room you can clear by sending players down, and I don't know the numbers right now, but I'm pretty sure a more significant number needs to be removed, and Schubert, Picard and Campoli (not that I would trade him) are neither.

Are you forgetting Murray's deadline blockbusters?

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert - Page 5 Article_13860_2

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

So, N4L and Asq2, you guys are like back at the exact same time, how was the honeymoon? I love you

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:

A momentary lapse. How could I have forgotten that deal? He had about as much impact as Tyler Arnason.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:

A momentary lapse. How could I have forgotten that deal? He had about as much impact as Tyler Arnason.

Lapointe was a great pickup... He gave this team character, leadership and added grit. He fought for his teammates. He was a multiple stanley cup winner. I was upset when we didn't re-sign him. And all we gave up to get him was a 6th rounder.

I didnt mind the Lapinte pick up either, I thought he played fairly well and like he said, we only gave up a 6th. Arnison on the other hand, we gave up Bocheknski who then turned into Versteeg... I would say that hurts a lot more.

You are both completely missing the point here. Laughing3

Thought the Leclaire deal was the biggest deal of last years trade deadline as well. The previous year we were just off the cup final so he tried to ad charachter...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:I didnt mind the Lapinte pick up either, I thought he played fairly well and like he said, we only gave up a 6th. Arnison on the other hand, we gave up Bocheknski who then turned into Versteeg... I would say that hurts a lot more.
I liked Lapointe... two guys I miss are Lapointe and Smolinski... loved their style and what they brought.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:Awesome! If you want me to go into great detail about why Waiving/forcing Smith is an absolutly moronic and embarassing thing for the organzation to do, I will. You may not actually understand it because it involved a lot of common sense, but if you would like me to, just ask.

I'm sure there are others on this site that can probably give you the same opinion and even others who hate the Smith contract but know well enough that the idea you put out there is absolutly rediculous.

I wouldnt even be ripping on you that much about it if you didnt finish it off with "sign Prospal". Lets embarass a vet who gives everything to the teams he plays on, been the captain of two of those teams, and go ahead and sign a guy that just had 3 years bought out. A team would rather have his salary on the books for 6 years then actually have him on the team, lets go sign Yashin too! That would be just fantastic.

Prospal/Yashin/Comrie... wow, hand us the cup!!!!!

Um O.K.......

First can you explain your mancrush on Smith? I realize he WAS a good player at some point in his career, but that shipp sailed a while ago. Last year he played 63 games for us, got one point, and was a -3. (should we do kart-wheels for the negative 2 points he got us?) However, you think we should go over and cut his grass for him and wash his car. Be my guest....maybe he'll come out and let you say hi.

Secondly you're trying to make it sound like I want the team built around Prospal and Comrie, and expect them to "lead us to a cup". I have never said that and view them only as additions to help support players like Spezza, Alfie, Fisher, Kovalev, and Foligno-Have you heard of them? Plus, if you would read the news once in a while, you would know TB is in financial trouble and is looking to cut costs. That explains why he was waived-19 goals 26 assists, 45 points yea, that couldn't help us at all.

Lastly was it fun bringing up Yashin? You did that all on your own. You know you've lost all credibility when you have to use the old, well, um, well, um, ah, ah, ah, you'd want Yashin Back!

Pathetic man, move on.

Last edited by 111519 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Dude, my credability will never be shot around here, so keep trying.

Smith's play aside (which was about what people should expect from him) you DO NOT buy out a vet that still has hockey left in him, who signed in Ottawa in good faith to help the team turn around the problems let alone force a guy like him to retire.

If this happend last year, say Murray bought out Smith, do you really think Kovalev would have signed a 2 year deal knowing that if by chance he has an off year he will get embarassed by the organization after a lengthy, respectable, and good to great career in the NHL? Hell no, its franchsie suicide to buy out a guy of Smith's character and reputation. He has EARNED the respect of players, managment and fans, he should be treated with it, unlike Prospal and Comrie who bolt for money every chance they get.

As for Smith's play last year, why dont we talk about 99% of that teams play last year, I have way more of an issue with how Spezza, Heatley, Fisher, Kelly, and Neil played last year over a guy coming into a mess, not knowing his role (along with everyone else) on a team with basically no real system, and a goalie in Gerber who was a big reason for such a dismal +/- (the most retarded stat in hockey and basically meaningless unless its extreme).

Smith was fine for Ottawa last year and Ottawa looking like a playoff team right now will not only be a solid player for us come playoff time, he might be the difference between winning a round a losing out.

Comrie and Prospal, I would be surprised if either one was ever on another playoff team again.

That Smith signing is a HUGE reason why we signed Kovalev this year. Murray has shown that he will give out the money to guys who can come in here short term and not worry about being the guy.

Without Smith, there is no Kovalev.

If Smith was traded, thats a different story. Forcing the guy to retire is about the most gutless thing any GM could do to a player like Smith.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:That Smith signing is a HUGE reason why we signed Kovalev this year. Murray has shown that he will give out the money to guys who can come in here short term and not worry about being the guy.

Without Smith, there is no Kovalev.

If Smith was traded, thats a different story. Forcing the guy to retire is about the most gutless thing any GM could do to a player like Smith.

Alright, I'm done arguing with you because in the end, we are both Senators fans.
We share the same goal, to see Ottawa do well and Toronto go into a freefall.

I gotta tell you though, Kovalev seems like the kind of guy if Brian Murray slapped his mother, and kicked his dog-then offered him 5 million, he'd show up at training camp with a smile on his face. That being said I'm still glad he's on our team.

Thats fine and I agree having Kovalev is huge, but Smith is an absolute warrior. On a playoff team you will see exactly why he was signed. Dont think for a second that if Ottawa handles Smith with anything less then absolute respect it wont effect UFA's coming here for a looooong time. The NHL players are a tight group and it will go a long way handling Smith the way he should be.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The problem with the perception of Smith is that we never really got to see what he could do in a Sens uniform. Those who have followed him throughout his career (Jersey, Toronto, Edmonton, Philly and now Ottawa) know that he's a born leader, a warrior, leaves it on the ice and his sweet spot is clutch games in the playoffs... shutting down the other team's forwards, taking them out and giving them nothing to work with.

The dismal season by the Sens never gave him a chance to shine, and missing the post season didn't allow him to truly excel.

If he's healthy and can suit up, maybe we'll see the real Smith, with Clouston giving him the minutes and role he needs.

The silence on his status is deafening though...

Basically it right there. Even if he cant perform like he has to, to be on an NHL roster, he should be treated with anything less then the utmost respect. Again, unlike A LOT of other players on their way out of the NHL, Satan, Comrie, Prospal, players of those ilk.

I would absolutly love to see what Smith plays like in Ottawa during the playoffs, one of the nastiest players in the NHL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum