GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert

+10
Acrobat
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Hemlock, in "real life" I 100% call people out on things when it involved a lack of respect (which the Jason Smith thing is 100% based on) or an absolutly out of the world, point of view that is so unrealistic it would be benifical to them to actually take a serious blow to the head from a soft ball lined at their head.

Am I that rude? Naw, but I'm not really rude on here IMO. If it's actually stupid and makes no sense, I say so. What the combination lock guy there was saying was totally disrespectful in the sense that an NHL vet should never, EVER be treated that way.

As for Prags. there is a lot of stuff that is right or wrong, but I have TONS of convo's where I'm somewhere in the middle, but if and when we do go into deeper discussion it gets a little more detailed and my views and opinions get a little more narrow.

If some people cant take a joke (most people on this board can which is atually solid) or cant be called out and told when their WRONG or totally ignorant to the situation, then get some thicker skin.

My manner is pretty bad on this board though, doesnt make me wrong, ignorant, disrespectful (to those who dont deserve it).

Neely4Life wrote:Hemlock, in "real life" I 100% call people out on things when it involved a lack of respect (which the Jason Smith thing is 100% based on) or an absolutly out of the world, point of view that is so unrealistic it would be benifical to them to actually take a serious blow to the head from a soft ball lined at their head.

Am I that rude? Naw, but I'm not really rude on here IMO. If it's actually stupid and makes no sense, I say so. What the combination lock guy there was saying was totally disrespectful in the sense that an NHL vet should never, EVER be treated that way.

As for Prags. there is a lot of stuff that is right or wrong, but I have TONS of convo's where I'm somewhere in the middle, but if and when we do go into deeper discussion it gets a little more detailed and my views and opinions get a little more narrow.

If some people cant take a joke (most people on this board can which is atually solid) or cant be called out and told when their WRONG or totally ignorant to the situation, then get some thicker skin.

My manner is pretty bad on this board though, doesnt make me wrong, ignorant, disrespectful (to those who dont deserve it).

Perhaps, you do call people out in real life, but I'd be willing to bet you are a hell of alot more choosy with your words, and much more careful with the way it sounds. The vast majority of people don't talk to people the way you do on here in real life. Hence my comment about getting your skull caved in.

You are completely missing the point here though. For a poster to say we ought to waive or buy-out Smith isn't wrong. It's simply someone's opinion. For all Smith has done, he's clearly in decline, and now there are rumours that he may have a long term, if not career threatening injury. With Ottawa being up against the cap, guys like Smith and Schubert are going to be the first ones mentioned when talking about ways to get cap relief, particularly now that we are at a crossroads with Heatley. The fact that the poster wanted to waive/buyout Smith to bring in Prospal is irrelevant. The real goal is capspace. And his point that TB is only buying him out because of financial woes is very valid. You refuse to acknowledge this and insist that it's all about being disrespectful to Smith. Which is clearly is not. Although I would never waive/buyout Smith, I'd certainly be listening to offers if any were made. $2.6 million would be better served imo. Yes, I realize what he's done in this league, but we've got Volchenkov and Phillips doing what Smith does on the ice. Couple that with the fact that we've already got a bit of a logjam on the blueline and something has to give.

For the life of me, I cannot believe that you actually claim to think you are not rude. You also talk about people not being able to take a joke here. I am hard pressed to remember a time when you've gotten it to it with someone and I've thought "Oh Neely is just kidding". Not once.

The last sentence seems telling to me. It seems to be that you feel that it's ok for you to be disrespectful to be who deserve it. The fact that people are entitled to their own opinion is an idea that has never occured to you apparently. People should be allowed to hold an opinion other than yours without having to be ridiculed or told they are stupid. Granted, it's now gone both ways, and people look to antagonize you at times, but in my estimation (and experience) you've brought it one yourself. As long as you talk to people the way you do here, there will always be a conflict with someone and others (like myself and prager) who will call you out on it.

Don't forget about me. Nelly is the biggest keyboard warrior there is and when confronted, all he did was put me on his ignore list because he knew he couldn't win.

notch4077 wrote:Don't forget about me. Nelly is the biggest keyboard warrior there is and when confronted, all he did was put me on his ignore list because he knew he couldn't win.

I can assure you, he isn't ignoring you. You are not even close to the first to clash with him, nor are you the last. I've clashed with him more times than I can count, and several others here have as well, not only here but going back to the HB days and we all dominated the Sens threads there.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Notch do you ever post about hockey... This is Gmhockey not GmNeely get over it please....

Thats fine if you guys want to call me out on it, I expect and accept it. I also enjoy it.

In real life, I absolutly use sarcasim and humour to get my point across, that way people see an extreme side of the other side of the arguement and it usually helps bring everything into perspective, at least it does for me.

As for waiving Jason Smith, I think it is plain wrong. It's not right, its disrespectful, and its totally uncalled for. He has earned the right to go out in a somewhat respectable manner with his head held high after a career like his. It's wrong in a moral sense, not a logical sense. Like I said earlier, if Smith was bought out on July 1, do you really think Kovalev signs here knowing that the same thing could happen to him next year if he has an "off season" with the rest of the team... no way. Trading Smith, like I said to Prags is a totally different situation. Forcing the guy to retire, I would actually stop being a Sens fan because that's a slap in the face to basically every player and fan.

Prospal has been bounced around for years, he has ALWAYS played for the cash, and when he gets it, he shuts it down. Comrie, his history isnt exactly steller either. Adding those two to The Sens and taking out Smith would be like replacing a cure for cancer.

Rude, nah, Im not rude, people are too sensative. I dont ask people to responde to me but there is nothing I like more then a good debate, but when it gets to the point where people stop making logical sense or trash players who have actually EARNED the respect of fans, players, so on... then ya, you should be called out. Just because some people take a passive approch to it doesnt mean I have to, and I wont.

Neely4Life wrote:Thats fine if you guys want to call me out on it, I expect and accept it. I also enjoy it.

In real life, I absolutly use sarcasim and humour to get my point across, that way people see an extreme side of the other side of the arguement and it usually helps bring everything into perspective, at least it does for me.

As for waiving Jason Smith, I think it is plain wrong. It's not right, its disrespectful, and its totally uncalled for. He has earned the right to go out in a somewhat respectable manner with his head held high after a career like his. It's wrong in a moral sense, not a logical sense. Like I said earlier, if Smith was bought out on July 1, do you really think Kovalev signs here knowing that the same thing could happen to him next year if he has an "off season" with the rest of the team... no way. Trading Smith, like I said to Prags is a totally different situation. Forcing the guy to retire, I would actually stop being a Sens fan because that's a slap in the face to basically every player and fan.

Prospal has been bounced around for years, he has ALWAYS played for the cash, and when he gets it, he shuts it down. Comrie, his history isnt exactly steller either. Adding those two to The Sens and taking out Smith would be like replacing a cure for cancer.

Rude, nah, Im not rude, people are too sensative. I dont ask people to responde to me but there is nothing I like more then a good debate, but when it gets to the point where people stop making logical sense or trash players who have actually EARNED the respect of fans, players, so on... then ya, you should be called out. Just because some people take a passive approch to it doesnt mean I have to, and I wont.

I agree that Prospal always has his best seasons in a contract year, which is a disturbing trend. I also agree that Smith deserves better treatment than a forced stint on LTIR or being waived/bought out. However, as we are seeing, there is very little room these days for sentimental decisions.

As for Kovalev, I think he's signed in Ottawa because it's as close as he could possibly be to his wife and kids. That's not to say I think we are getting an unmotivated player hockey wise, but I think Ottawa's proximity to Montreal was the biggest factor is Kovalev signing here, not anything in particular about the team.

You're right that you don't have to take the passive approach, everyone is different, but your "attitude" detracts from the site for certain people. That's the point I am trying to get across. That's what I want you to understand.

I would counter with that I think my general attitude is what also brings out heated and passionate discussions. The number crunching isnt my thing, the proposed lineups, not my thing... but I dont name call to the members that have been here a while, the people who come here and post stupid, unreasonable, ignorant, false statements that have just joined, I like to let them know this isnt a place where you do that, this is a place where respectable and logical discussion take place, not HB or any other crap board. Call it an initiation if you will.

When guys just "haha" for 3 sentances, you know what they bring is crap. When guys cant back up things with examples you know they cant hold a rational discussion. When guys ignore facts when presented with a counter arguement, you know what is coming out next will just be BS.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:Thats fine if you guys want to call me out on it, I expect and accept it. I also enjoy it.

You have obviously *never* taken a conflict resolution or communication soft-skills course in your life. That's OK, not everyone works for companies that like to spend money on soft-skills.

Sarcasm, by definition, is aimed at hurting someone (usually someone's feelings). It's making a joke at someone's expense. While humor can often be used to -- as you say -- bring everything into perspective, the particular brand of hu8mor we call sarcasm is ill-equipped to do that.

[quote="Neely4Life"]As for waiving Jason Smith, I think it is plain wrong. It's not right, its disrespectful, and its totally uncalled for. He has earned the right to go out in a somewhat respectable manner with his head held high after a career like his. It's wrong in a moral sense, not a logical sense.
Neely4Life wrote:can disagree with in there. However business decisions are often made with little thought to respect. Speak to anyone who has lived through multiple rounds of layoffs in high-tech. Sure, the first 2, maybe 3 rounds, you are trimming the fat. Pretty soon, though, you see some really good people being shown the door, and why? Very often the company is still making money, but the rate at which profits are growing may not be sufficient to keep the stock price going up.

[quote="Neely4Life"]Like I said earlier, if Smith was bought out on July 1, do you really think Kovalev signs here knowing that the same thing could happen to him next year if he has an "off season" with the rest of the team... no way. Trading Smith, like I said to Prags is a totally different situation. Forcing the guy to retire, I would actually stop being a Sens fan because that's a slap in the face to basically every player and fan.

Not sure how you can be so sure about that. Kovalev is getting $10M and it's very likely that he's either retiring or playing 1-2 final years in the KHL after this. You could argue about future UFAs signing here, sure, but I think things like this get forgotten much quicker. For one, Murray could well be gone by the time that another UFA is considering coming to Ottawa.

That said, if there are other options, I'm sure the team is considering them, even if they are not the best in terms of short-term business objectives.

Neely4Life wrote:

Prospal was the only one on the team to call out Yashin when he came back after sitting out a year. While everyone kept toeing the company line, saying how he is a heck of a player and will make the team better, and that this whole thing was business and once he's in the dressing room everyone will take him back with open arms -- Prospal called him out just like Neil recently did with Heatley.

Prospal got in trouble for that and was traded not long after. I'd say that particular move was not about the cash.

As for Comrie, I just don't see any room for him. I'd rather guys like Regin and Zubov and Bass got ice time. But I do remember you being quite happy with the guy two years ago. Am I misremembering?

Neely4Life wrote:

A good debate should not include terms like "moron" (or its derivatives). You might want to look up the definition of "rude".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rude
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Man, you guys write so much it's tough to answer all of it...

Comrie of 2 years ago isnt the Comrie of today, and the Comrie of 2 years ago left for more money... so... happy or not he might not even be an NHLer at this point.

I always tell people "who ever says sarcasim is the lowest form of humour doesnt get it". Sarcasim is hilarious when used at the right time in the right situation. Like always, I'm right and always use it perfectly.

A good debate shouldnt include slurs or name calling, the forcing Smith to retire or waive him thing isnt a debate though, it's disrespectful and ignorant.

The NHL isnt like any other business, especially among employees (players) Comparing the NHL to other business' is beyond apples and organges. There HAS to be a level respect givne to players that have been in the game for a while, especially ones like SMith who have probably risked long term health for fans and teams. The players are the product and are not disposable.

Anyways, everyone knows that I have respect for people that show it and for players that truly deserve it. If you show disrespect for me, another poster (who doesnt deserve it), I'll be all over it and probably look like an Donkey, which is fine. At the end of the convo I'm involved in I always know what I'm talking about and a lack of knowledge is never an issue. Plus I'm always right.

Neely4Life wrote:Man, you guys write so much it's tough to answer all of it...

Comrie of 2 years ago isnt the Comrie of today, and the Comrie of 2 years ago left for more money... so... happy or not he might not even be an NHLer at this point.

I always tell people "who ever says sarcasim is the lowest form of humour doesnt get it". Sarcasim is hilarious when used at the right time in the right situation. Like always, I'm right and always use it perfectly.

A good debate shouldnt include slurs or name calling, the forcing Smith to retire or waive him thing isnt a debate though, it's disrespectful and ignorant.

The NHL isnt like any other business, especially among employees (players) Comparing the NHL to other business' is beyond apples and organges. There HAS to be a level respect givne to players that have been in the game for a while, especially ones like SMith who have probably risked long term health for fans and teams. The players are the product and are not disposable.

Anyways, everyone knows that I have respect for people that show it and for players that truly deserve it. If you show disrespect for me, another poster (who doesnt deserve it), I'll be all over it and probably look like an Donkey, which is fine. At the end of the convo I'm involved in I always know what I'm talking about and a lack of knowledge is never an issue. Plus I'm always right.

Comrie circa 2 years ago hardly left for a payday. He waited for Murray to get his other issues resolved and when he realized Murray wasn't going to give him a reasonable offer he signed with the NYI. He signed on July 5th, not on the stroke of midnight on July 1.

And the "Plus, I'm always right" comment is downright laughable.

Meh, its not like 5 days is a long time, he might as well should have signed on the 1st. If he signed say 2nd or 3rd week of July, then I might buy it, but he still signed on the Island which tells me that he was going for the cash.

After a cup run his value was as high as it ever was.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I take it you didn't bother with the links I supplied. Here's what one of them says about sarcasm:

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a:
a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic,
and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
b: the use or language of sarcasm

Sarcasm is meant to give pain, and is usually directed against an individual. By the strictest definition, sarcasm should not be allowed on boards like this one, since the mantra usually is "Attack the post, not the poster".

Perhaps what you are going for is being facetious:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious

: joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish facetious>

: meant to be humorous or funny : not serious facetious remark>

The cutting remarks guys communicate with in the locker room is facetiousness. Sarcasm is hurtful and aimed at individuals, not their opinions.

Yeah... anyways...

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Meh, its not like 5 days is a long time, he might as well should have signed on the 1st. If he signed say 2nd or 3rd week of July, then I might buy it, but he still signed on the Island which tells me that he was going for the cash.

After a cup run his value was as high as it ever was.

I think Murray already admitted he didn't give an offer to Comrie after that season.
And IIRC, we were already short cash-wise.

ANyways, there can be a lot of reasons possible (personal and professional) on why he ran elsewhere. I won't start to speculate though.
Also, that dude's father is a multi-millionaire, is girlfriend is too, I don't think the Cash is his N1 priority.
I still wouldn't take him on this team though, but It is not because I have issues with his personnality/commitment.

I question a lot about Comrie personally, but that's just me.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Anyways, back on topic, MTL and SJ are short on forwards and have too much cash on D. I don't see how this could possibly happen with Ottawa sending just Heatley. Might need a Picard or Lee somewhere there, especially if it is to bring in erhoff or Vlasic.
Michalek + Vlasic is enough for Heater. I like those two guys.

Then, you include Montreal, 1M in cap space (let's say d'ago re-signs for 1M). They take Marleau, leaves approx 5M in cap. They send Plek and... I don't see who.
I think all this talks about a 3 way deal is an "illogical logic" made up by media because Montreal want a big centreman, Sj wants Heatley and want a change.
There are a lot of trades that would make sense and will never happen.

Sophomore
Sophomore

since I have him on ignore i can only guess he is still going on about how it's his job to correct all us simpletons, and share his vast knowledge and wisdom in an attempt to keep this forum perfect like himself, or some other blah blah blah drivel.

as for Comrie and his belief its always for the money, can someone please explain to him Comries family is worth half a billion dollars, i don't think Comrie lays awake at night worrying about the gas bill....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum