GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert

+10
Acrobat
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Thats fine and I agree having Kovalev is huge, but Smith is an absolute warrior. On a playoff team you will see exactly why he was signed. Dont think for a second that if Ottawa handles Smith with anything less then absolute respect it wont effect UFA's coming here for a looooong time. The NHL players are a tight group and it will go a long way handling Smith the way he should be.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The problem with the perception of Smith is that we never really got to see what he could do in a Sens uniform. Those who have followed him throughout his career (Jersey, Toronto, Edmonton, Philly and now Ottawa) know that he's a born leader, a warrior, leaves it on the ice and his sweet spot is clutch games in the playoffs... shutting down the other team's forwards, taking them out and giving them nothing to work with.

The dismal season by the Sens never gave him a chance to shine, and missing the post season didn't allow him to truly excel.

If he's healthy and can suit up, maybe we'll see the real Smith, with Clouston giving him the minutes and role he needs.

The silence on his status is deafening though...

Basically it right there. Even if he cant perform like he has to, to be on an NHL roster, he should be treated with anything less then the utmost respect. Again, unlike A LOT of other players on their way out of the NHL, Satan, Comrie, Prospal, players of those ilk.

I would absolutly love to see what Smith plays like in Ottawa during the playoffs, one of the nastiest players in the NHL.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:I would absolutly love to see what Smith plays like in Ottawa during the playoffs, one of the nastiest players in the NHL.
Hopefully we'll get the chance...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely, do you really feel it necessary to always start off with a negative, antagonistic and hurtful attitude? Do you *not* realize that you will never get your point across like that? If your aim is to rebut someone's suggestion and explain why it never works, you are failing spectacularly.

And guess what, I completely agree with what you are saying. I just think it's better to express yourself in terms that are actually not going to get people to put you on Ignore.

Neely4Life wrote:Awesome! If you want me to go into great detail about why Waiving/forcing Smith is an absolutly moronic and embarassing thing for the organzation to do, I will. You may not actually understand it because it involved a lot of common sense, but if you would like me to, just ask.

I'm sure there are others on this site that can probably give you the same opinion and even others who hate the Smith contract but know well enough that the idea you put out there is absolutly rediculous.

I wouldnt even be ripping on you that much about it if you didnt finish it off with "sign Prospal". Lets embarass a vet who gives everything to the teams he plays on, been the captain of two of those teams, and go ahead and sign a guy that just had 3 years bought out. A team would rather have his salary on the books for 6 years then actually have him on the team, lets go sign Yashin too! That would be just fantastic.

Prospal/Yashin/Comrie... wow, hand us the cup!!!!!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:That Smith signing is a HUGE reason why we signed Kovalev this year. Murray has shown that he will give out the money to guys who can come in here short term and not worry about being the guy.

Without Smith, there is no Kovalev.

If Smith was traded, thats a different story. Forcing the guy to retire is about the most gutless thing any GM could do to a player like Smith.

Smith came to help them win. It's clear we're not going to do this. Murray could ask Jason if he would like to have one more kick at the can and, if he does, then try to move him to a contender. However the other issue is the cap space. It surely would be nice to not have to send guys down to Bingo *just* because they happen to have a 2-way contract. Perhaps put Smith on LTIR until he is well enough to play, then trade him to a contender that needs some added grit and veteran leadership.

wprager wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:That Smith signing is a HUGE reason why we signed Kovalev this year. Murray has shown that he will give out the money to guys who can come in here short term and not worry about being the guy.

If Smith was traded, thats a different story. Forcing the guy to retire is about the most gutless thing any GM could do to a player like Smith.

Smith came to help them win. It's clear we're not going to do this. Murray could ask Jason if he would like to have one more kick at the can and, if he does, then try to move him to a contender. However the other issue is the cap space. It surely would be nice to not have to send guys down to Bingo *just* because they happen to have a 2-way contract. Perhaps put Smith on LTIR until he is well enough to play, then trade him to a contender that needs some added grit and veteran leadership.

Is there a substantiated report that he is still injured?

notch4077 wrote:I ignore Nelly (thank you for this feature Admin's). Click on profile and then friends and foes I think. Add him to foe obviously and you will never see another post of his.

Oh, and stop quoting him so I don't have to see his holier than thou/negativity that only he brings to this quality site.

Sooner or later he will leave as everyone will have him blocked.

Or better yet, he could find a new "favorite" team and go on their teams forum and spread his "love" for said team on that board. It's called trolling.

Neely? What a douchebag!! When I first came to this site, I couldn't believe how much of a Wang this guy was...The funny thing is that he's now one of the posters whose opinion I respect the most. Now I don't think he's an bunghole at all...Imo he's funny as hell and his pov is spot-on.

So my advice to you is to look past the delivery and see the logic Shrug

(Regardless, he's way more relaxed and respectful now than he ever was before...)

MurderOnIce wrote:
wprager wrote:

speculation....

MurderOnIce wrote:
wprager wrote:

I am working on this right now! Just getting all my Calgary (Smith's hometown)buddies together on the net, someone has to have heard something on the Red Mile.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Thanks for the friends/foe tip. I hated to use it on anyone but the guy just doesn't get it. If you disagree fine, but don't start out with insults and I'm so smart because......
Bullies on these kinds of boards, are usually lacking something in their real life.

111519 wrote:Thanks for the friends/foe tip. I hated to use it on anyone but the guy just doesn't get it. If you disagree fine, but don't start out with insults and I'm so smart because......
Bullies on these kinds of boards, are usually lacking something in their real life.

No problem. Glad I could help. I have never "met" someone who thinks of himself so highly and doesn't understand the actual impression that others have of him.

wprager wrote:Neely, do you really feel it necessary to always start off with a negative, antagonistic and hurtful attitude? Do you *not* realize that you will never get your point across like that? If your aim is to rebut someone's suggestion and explain why it never works, you are failing spectacularly.

While he knows his hockey, he's absolutely clueless when it comes to interpersonal skills. Internet tough guy comes to mind, because if he talked like he does here to people in real life, he'd spend alot of time getting his skull caved in.

My honest opinion on Smith is that he tweaked his knee and the organization knew we weren't going anywhere so they asked him to shut it down to ensure he was good for camp. That is all there is to it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

cas wrote:
Neely? What a douchebag!! When I first came to this site, I couldn't believe how much of a Wang this guy was...The funny thing is that he's now one of the posters whose opinion I respect the most. Now I don't think he's an bunghole at all...Imo he's funny as hell and his pov is spot-on.

So my advice to you is to look past the delivery and see the logic Shrug

(Regardless, he's way more relaxed and respectful now than he ever was before...)

They finally got the right mix of meds.

Seriously, though, Neely knows his stuff. Unfortunately he's got the worst boardside manner I've ever encountered. And he also tends to be colour-blind in some specific instances, seeing black and white and nothing in-between.

Hemlock, in "real life" I 100% call people out on things when it involved a lack of respect (which the Jason Smith thing is 100% based on) or an absolutly out of the world, point of view that is so unrealistic it would be benifical to them to actually take a serious blow to the head from a soft ball lined at their head.

Am I that rude? Naw, but I'm not really rude on here IMO. If it's actually stupid and makes no sense, I say so. What the combination lock guy there was saying was totally disrespectful in the sense that an NHL vet should never, EVER be treated that way.

As for Prags. there is a lot of stuff that is right or wrong, but I have TONS of convo's where I'm somewhere in the middle, but if and when we do go into deeper discussion it gets a little more detailed and my views and opinions get a little more narrow.

If some people cant take a joke (most people on this board can which is atually solid) or cant be called out and told when their WRONG or totally ignorant to the situation, then get some thicker skin.

My manner is pretty bad on this board though, doesnt make me wrong, ignorant, disrespectful (to those who dont deserve it).

Neely4Life wrote:Hemlock, in "real life" I 100% call people out on things when it involved a lack of respect (which the Jason Smith thing is 100% based on) or an absolutly out of the world, point of view that is so unrealistic it would be benifical to them to actually take a serious blow to the head from a soft ball lined at their head.

Am I that rude? Naw, but I'm not really rude on here IMO. If it's actually stupid and makes no sense, I say so. What the combination lock guy there was saying was totally disrespectful in the sense that an NHL vet should never, EVER be treated that way.

As for Prags. there is a lot of stuff that is right or wrong, but I have TONS of convo's where I'm somewhere in the middle, but if and when we do go into deeper discussion it gets a little more detailed and my views and opinions get a little more narrow.

If some people cant take a joke (most people on this board can which is atually solid) or cant be called out and told when their WRONG or totally ignorant to the situation, then get some thicker skin.

My manner is pretty bad on this board though, doesnt make me wrong, ignorant, disrespectful (to those who dont deserve it).

Perhaps, you do call people out in real life, but I'd be willing to bet you are a hell of alot more choosy with your words, and much more careful with the way it sounds. The vast majority of people don't talk to people the way you do on here in real life. Hence my comment about getting your skull caved in.

You are completely missing the point here though. For a poster to say we ought to waive or buy-out Smith isn't wrong. It's simply someone's opinion. For all Smith has done, he's clearly in decline, and now there are rumours that he may have a long term, if not career threatening injury. With Ottawa being up against the cap, guys like Smith and Schubert are going to be the first ones mentioned when talking about ways to get cap relief, particularly now that we are at a crossroads with Heatley. The fact that the poster wanted to waive/buyout Smith to bring in Prospal is irrelevant. The real goal is capspace. And his point that TB is only buying him out because of financial woes is very valid. You refuse to acknowledge this and insist that it's all about being disrespectful to Smith. Which is clearly is not. Although I would never waive/buyout Smith, I'd certainly be listening to offers if any were made. $2.6 million would be better served imo. Yes, I realize what he's done in this league, but we've got Volchenkov and Phillips doing what Smith does on the ice. Couple that with the fact that we've already got a bit of a logjam on the blueline and something has to give.

For the life of me, I cannot believe that you actually claim to think you are not rude. You also talk about people not being able to take a joke here. I am hard pressed to remember a time when you've gotten it to it with someone and I've thought "Oh Neely is just kidding". Not once.

The last sentence seems telling to me. It seems to be that you feel that it's ok for you to be disrespectful to be who deserve it. The fact that people are entitled to their own opinion is an idea that has never occured to you apparently. People should be allowed to hold an opinion other than yours without having to be ridiculed or told they are stupid. Granted, it's now gone both ways, and people look to antagonize you at times, but in my estimation (and experience) you've brought it one yourself. As long as you talk to people the way you do here, there will always be a conflict with someone and others (like myself and prager) who will call you out on it.

Don't forget about me. Nelly is the biggest keyboard warrior there is and when confronted, all he did was put me on his ignore list because he knew he couldn't win.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum