GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets waive smith and get a 7th for shubert

+10
Acrobat
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Dash wrote:Better prepare for the backlash for stating my personal thoughts, but...

I could just care less for these players on our team:
Ruutu, Smith, Phillips

There's probably a few more, like Kelly, Donovan, and Schubert, that could be replaced by younger players, but Shubert and Donovan are cheap fillers.

While these guys might be "nice" and "classy" or whatever, I'd just rather see other players in those spots.

Take Ruutu out and you can plug Bass in. Take Donovan out, Regin in. Take Kelly out, either of those two, or call up another young player (Weller, Condra, etc).

Smith is just worn out and I respect him and all that, but he's taking a spot from a younger, cheaper player with more potential.

Phillips just, as I see it, not as good a player as he is made out to be. I could see Cowen easily replacing him shortly. Hell, if you are a team in rebuild, he would be there already (Bogosian, Doughty, etc).

Would you take a chance at missing the playoffs (not that making it is a guarnatee) and put Wiercioch, Kalrsson and Cowen in the blue line in place of, say, Phillips, Smith and Kuba/Picard/Lee? What about taking Ruutu, Donovan and Kelly out for Regin, Bass, and Zubov? All for the risk you don't make it to post-season, but at the reward of these guys gaining valuable experience and becoming great players.

Schubert = Phillips = Donovan = Smith = Ruutu... none of them are the same player.

I guess experience and character doesn't matter? I don't have enough time to express how much I actually disagree... but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Unreal how little respect Phillips gets. Cowen EASILY replaces him shortly? That's not even an opinion, that's a stupid comment. Tell me how Cowen replaces almost 15 years of expierence, leadership, and being engraved into the Ottawa community like he is...

Cowen might one day be better then Phillips ever was but to say Cowen can step right in and easily play against the leagues top players... haha, WOW.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:Well, someone who agrees with me (i think). It sucks as a fan to see contracts given to old players while your young prospects age, do not develop, and get lost to free agency.

I agree to a certain extent. Only Schubert, Donovan and Ruutu are signed to cheap deals.

I don't have a problem with Kelly only he would have to be dealt so we can retain (Elliott) and possibly promote (Regin) some of the young players we're talking about. Meanwhile we keep choking on the biggest "nice" and "classy" deal in the organization. But that's the way it goes.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i know i am in a minority but ruutu is not that bad of a contract he is making 1.3 M he can kill penalties(the ones he isnt serving) he draws penalties from other teams and is pretty darn good in the shoot out

Ruutu is a good player who brings a lot to the table. 1.3 mil for him is a good price, look around the league and even on our own team and you can see how high Ruutu's value is for that price.

Works the PK, draws tons of penalties, and is an huge asset in the shootout (which might determine whether The Sens make the playoffs or not this year).

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

How about we waive Schubert and get a 7th for Smith?

SeawaySensFan wrote:How about we waive Schubert and get a 7th for Smith?

NO!

Ruutu is awesome for the price we paid. Some would say best bargain we have. I would agree.

There seem to be a lot of people who think you can win (and win in the playoffs) with a lineup of skilled players alone. I will tell you for every skilled guy on a championship team there is two or three role players.

For every Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, there was a Semenko, Lowe, McTavish, Buchberger, Fogolin, Andy Moog, Randy Gregg...

For every Bossy, Potvin there was a Butch Goring, John Tonelli, Clark Gillies, Ken Morrow, Bob Bourne...

Guys come on we need these types of players along with our high end skill guys (PRODUCING) and a blend of youth, not a full swap to the youth movement.

Heart and character and leadership and experience are not things you should marginalize. Boy I am frustrated!

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Look, I think Phillips is only good at a defensive aspect of the game. He plays against the teams top line, (tries) to shut them down, but honestly, he's not been all that good at it. Putting aside off ice activities, cause Redden was also a great philanthropist, I think there are a lot of players that can do his job. And yes, I think Cowen can do that. Perhaps not as solidly yet, but someday. That's one of Cowen's biggest compliments, his shut down play. His ability to do that is a big part of his teams transition game.

It's not that I dislike any of the players mentioned, but that I think there are other players that can do their jobs, either at a cost more beneficial to the team, an as or just as good as they can.

You think there aren't plenty of players that can play a dozen minutes on the PK and a 3rd/4thline checking role like Kelly or Ruutu?

MOI, there are those who just dont see it, I know its a little sad, but that's the way it is. The same people that think Smith, Kelly, so on should be run out of town are the same people that question why Comrie hasnt been signed... even though it's pretty obvious why.

If this team gets into the playoffs (they will if Heatley stays despite everything else) and could go far, but they will need Smith, they will need Kelly. Game 7 of a 1st round series, who do you want on the PK? Regin or Kelly? It's a no brainer. Who do you think is going to block a shot with his face to save a goal? Smith will do it without even thinkng.

IF (big if) Heatley stays which it looks like he will now, The Sens have the most offensive team in The East perhaps, the goals wll be coming from everywhere. The depth this team has now will be huge if things click. Smith is part of that, doesnt matter right now if it's 2.6 mil.

Goaltending - HUGE check
Forwards - with Heatley check
Defense - still questionable

Our defense is still a little iffy, but with Phillips being put back into his eliment (not on the PP or asked to put up points) we have a solid shut down duo. Kuba, Campoli, Picard, and perhaps Karlsson is there to provide the offense from the back end on the PP.

Things will really have to click but with perhaps the easiest schedual in the NHL to start the season things could really be looking up for The Sens. On that note, if the Sens dont go about 10-5 or better to start the season I think the playoffs might be in jepordy.

All in all, Smith, Phillips, Ruutu, Kelly, Neil, and Fisher will all be well worth it come playoff time, those are the guys that will be the difference.

Dash wrote:Look, I think Phillips is only good at a defensive aspect of the game. He plays against the teams top line, (tries) to shut them down, but honestly, he's not been all that good at it. Putting aside off ice activities, cause Redden was also a great philanthropist, I think there are a lot of players that can do his job. And yes, I think Cowen can do that. Perhaps not as solidly yet, but someday. That's one of Cowen's biggest compliments, his shut down play. His ability to do that is a big part of his teams transition game.

It's not that I dislike any of the players mentioned, but that I think there are other players that can do their jobs, either at a cost more beneficial to the team, an as or just as good as they can.

You think there aren't plenty of players that can play a dozen minutes on the PK and a 3rd/4thline checking role like Kelly or Ruutu?

By soon you must mean 4 or 5 years, because there is no way a 19 year old kid, coming off major surgery and rehab will be playing in the NHL, let alone against teams top players.

A Train and Vulchi were asked to do things last year they are not able to do. With a more well rounded D like we saw at the end of last year, Phillips and A Train and dominate.

Phillips IS one of the best shut down D men in the league and for a player like him, the next 3 or 4 years will be the best of his career. He has all the expierence needed, all the leadership you can ask for, and the tallent to be one of the best in the game, reg season and especially playoffs. Same deal with A Train.

Everyone is thrilled with Cowen, but he wont be playing against the top lines until he is 24, 25 years old, looooooong ways to go for that boy to be playing those mins.

Neely4Life wrote:MOI, there are those who just dont see it, I know its a little sad, but that's the way it is. The same people that think Smith, Kelly, so on should be run out of town are the same people that question why Comrie hasnt been signed... even though it's pretty obvious why.

If this team gets into the playoffs (they will if Heatley stays despite everything else) and could go far, but they will need Smith, they will need Kelly. Game 7 of a 1st round series, who do you want on the PK? Regin or Kelly? It's a no brainer. Who do you think is going to block a shot with his face to save a goal? Smith will do it without even thinkng.

IF (big if) Heatley stays which it looks like he will now, The Sens have the most offensive team in The East perhaps, the goals wll be coming from everywhere. The depth this team has now will be huge if things click. Smith is part of that, doesnt matter right now if it's 2.6 mil.

Goaltending - HUGE check
Forwards - with Heatley check
Defense - still questionable

Our defense is still a little iffy, but with Phillips being put back into his eliment (not on the PP or asked to put up points) we have a solid shut down duo. Kuba, Campoli, Picard, and perhaps Karlsson is there to provide the offense from the back end on the PP.

Things will really have to click but with perhaps the easiest schedual in the NHL to start the season things could really be looking up for The Sens. On that note, if the Sens dont go about 10-5 or better to start the season I think the playoffs might be in jepordy.

All in all, Smith, Phillips, Ruutu, Kelly, Neil, and Fisher will all be well worth it come playoff time, those are the guys that will be the difference.

I agree wholeheartedly. Things will have to go right for us in the combination of Karlsson/Lee/Picard/Campoli for us to be solidly in the 4 to 7 conference spot. But this club 'as is' with Clouston continuing to right the ship will be competitive and should be a lower seed playoff team. Once you get there anything can happen. Like you said and like any knowledgeable fan would tell you... the guys you mentioned are the guys you want come playoff time and Alfie.

Smith deserves more respect than this. Other players would remember such an insolent move and think twice before signing here (if they don't already).

As for Schubert, I say a 5th rounder.

AMEN

If Smith is injured, does that affect the team's ability to waive or buy him out? Schubert is probably going to go anyway, so any return for him would be nice. Since Murray has been trying to get rid of him for what seems like 2 years now, I doubt the return is anything.

I have to agree with N4L and say that Cowen is not ready (and certainly not on the level with Phillips) to step right in and fill Phillip's shoes. He's 18, and coming of major surgery. To expect that is wishful thinking in the extreme.

In a year or two, I'd definitely be down with moving Phillips though. He's slowly declining and that salary will be a big anchor sooner rather than later.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

If Schubert could have been traded for a 7th rounder, it would have been done already.

I think Scubert will end up in Dallas or Columbus, just a hunch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum