GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

So lets say Volchie doesn't sign.... then what?

+13
sens4win
wprager
Ev
Riprock
Phoenix30
Jordo
PKC
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
PTFlea
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Big Ev wrote:So it's stupid to say that, in my opinion, we shouldn't re-sign Carkner because he is an average 6th defenseman who you can find just about anywhere? You're a joke...
So what do you want in a 6th defenceman. He's tough, serviceable and really cheap. Do you want to replace him just for the sake of replacing him. I don't get your point.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Neely, you can disagree and you can explain why, but refrain from name calling. Enough is enough.

Big Ev, seriously, he's got a point. Carkner, in a 5/6 position, does not hurt the team. When he was playing second pairing minutes, different story. Remem er when we had Grats? Well, Carkner is that *plus* he can play 15 minutes, even on the PK.

On the other hand, Neely, if Carkner continues playing like this, there's no hope in hell he re-signs for league minimum or anywhere close to that. Not after Ferrence got $2.25M. So then the question becomes, do you re-sign him for $2-2.5M (yeah, it *could* get that crazy) or bring up Smith, Gryba or whoever else might be ready at the end of Carkner's contract?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

RobbyJ wrote:
Big Ev wrote:So it's stupid to say that, in my opinion, we shouldn't re-sign Carkner because he is an average 6th defenseman who you can find just about anywhere? You're a joke...
So what do you want in a 6th defenceman. He's tough, serviceable and really cheap. Do you want to replace him just for the sake of replacing him. I don't get your point.

Big Ev was talking about re-signing him, though. He will not be "really cheap" anymore in two years.

wprager wrote:Neely, you can disagree and you can explain why, but refrain from name calling. Enough is enough.

Big Ev, seriously, he's got a point. Carkner, in a 5/6 position, does not hurt the team. When he was playing second pairing minutes, different story. Remem er when we had Grats? Well, Carkner is that *plus* he can play 15 minutes, even on the PK.

On the other hand, Neely, if Carkner continues playing like this, there's no hope in hell he re-signs for league minimum or anywhere close to that. Not after Ferrence got $2.25M. So then the question becomes, do you re-sign him for $2-2.5M (yeah, it *could* get that crazy) or bring up Smith, Gryba or whoever else might be ready at the end of Carkner's contract?

That is a good point. I would say 1.5, I would pay that now.

Also, he wasnt talking about re-signing him, he actually thinks he wont be here next year.

Gee, wonder who's giving me all the -'s, haha.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What's funny is I actually haven't been giving you any -'s, I've been watching the game.

But I was talking about re-signing him. I just think he's just another guy like Nick Boynton, or other players that are like this who always find a new team every 1 or 2 years. They are serviceable, but at the same time they are not a mainstay in a lineup. There are other examples of players like that, but I can't remember them right now.

I have changed my stance on Kelly though. For the role that he is given, he plays it very well (started the season off pretty poorly, but since then he has been good).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was gonna say that you won't like Carkner's next contract as much as this one. He'll double this bare minimum. Possibly even get up to 2 million if he keeps up the sturdy play.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

RobbyJ wrote:
N4L wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
Big Ev wrote:He's a liability defensively and has only stayed on the team because of his fighting.
He has been a liability lately, but so are most number 6 defenceman in the league.

it's not even that bad, the guy makes mistakes but still somehow has manage to play in every game, on a winning team... he has had a year better then anyone could have hoped for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm defending Carkner. He just had a bad spell for 5-6 games after the break (as did everyone).

Apparently, Carkner has been playing hurt for basically the whole season thus far. I guess it finally caught up with him.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

What's up with all this talk about re-signing Carkner? Uh, we just did, like 5 months ago. Carkner's locked up for cheap for the rest of this year, and then two more full seasons after that -- i.e., through the 2011-12 season. Nothing to worry about right now.

For what he brings at $700K, Carkner is one of the better 5/6Ds in the league, certainly in terms of bang-for-buck -- 15+ minutes a night, fights, clears bodies from the front of the net effectively, moves the puck decently, and, most of all, PKs very capably. You can't ask for much more than that at that price.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:Also, he wasnt talking about re-signing him, he actually thinks he wont be here next year.

I guess I didn't go far-enough back. In his later post he was talking about re-signing.

By the way, whoever pout up that CapGeek roster, don't forge the buy-outs. Alfie is actually second on the team because on top of his $4.875M he's got $700K of buy-out money from his last contract (and his actualy salary is $7M). Then there's also Emery's buy-out of $562,500.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:What's funny is I actually haven't been giving you any -'s, I've been watching the game.

But I was talking about re-signing him. I just think he's just another guy like Nick Boynton, or other players that are like this who always find a new team every 1 or 2 years. They are serviceable, but at the same time they are not a mainstay in a lineup. There are other examples of players like that, but I can't remember them right now.

I have changed my stance on Kelly though. For the role that he is given, he plays it very well (started the season off pretty poorly, but since then he has been good).

Initially, though, you said:

I can't see Carkner being on the team next season.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I originally said that because I thought Carkner was a free agent (it said that on NHL numbers).

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:Yeah, I originally said that because I thought Carkner was a free agent (it said that on NHL numbers).

see now there is your problem...nhlnumbers.com is run by Ek and his cronies now..even the guy who used to run it has a link on his main page directing people to capgeek.com

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Devo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Yeah, I originally said that because I thought Carkner was a free agent (it said that on NHL numbers).

see now there is your problem...nhlnumbers.com is run by Ek and his cronies now..even the guy who used to run it has a link on his main page directing people to capgeek.com

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of NHLscap, but regardless CapGeek is the way to go.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

stempniaksen wrote:
Devo wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of NHLscap, but regardless CapGeek is the way to go.

They are one and the same.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum