GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal!

+12
Riprock
SensFan71
asq2
wprager
Phoenix30
SensGirl11
PKC
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Bramlet07
PTFlea
shabbs
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:
Well Carkner looks like a top 4 D man right now. If he continues to progress (even stay as is) and gains a little more confidence they we have a top 4, MEAN, BIG, and tallented signed for 700k a year...

This guy is Jason Smith but better at this point. We have the Jason Smith from 5 years ago we were looking for.

As long as he doesn't start to digress, I'll be really, really happy. I don't really need to see too much progress, just stay the same and try not to fade back into obscurity.

Playing 8 years in the AHL, you learn the game. You know what to do and what not to do out there. The great thing about his game is there is nothing great about it. He has learned basically everything you can from a mental aspect of the game, he knows what to do and how to play within himself. The fact he is provding a huge shot from the point and a decent amount of offense is surprising to me and makes this deal that much better.

After shutting down Crosby and Malkin, how do you not lock this guy up. If he does that once a year he has earned his keep IMO. How many teams shut down both guys once a year? About none, and Carkner did.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
Playing 8 years in the AHL, you learn the game. You know what to do and what not to do out there. The great thing about his game is there is nothing great about it. He has learned basically everything you can from a mental aspect of the game, he knows what to do and how to play within himself. The fact he is provding a huge shot from the point and a decent amount of offense is surprising to me and makes this deal that much better.

After shutting down Crosby and Malkin, how do you not lock this guy up. If he does that once a year he has earned his keep IMO. How many teams shut down both guys once a year? About none, and Carkner did.

Yeah, I think the same. He'll never stop working either, which is even better for us. Perfect 3rd pairing D-man. We're lucky this worked out.

He also doesnt have the miles that Smith had on him. The guy is just starting his NHL career and is only going to get better from here on out. The fact his work ethic is as good as it is speak volumes for him as a player and a person.

Picard's play is a direct result of Carkner.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Atta boy MC Hammer (I really like that nickname, however is credited with that). Not a lot of money by NHL standards, but it is a lot for most people, so it's nice to see him get rewarded and hopefully he and his family can settle in safe and sound knowing he will be around a little longer.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:He also doesnt have the miles that Smith had on him. The guy is just starting his NHL career and is only going to get better from here on out. The fact his work ethic is as good as it is speak volumes for him as a player and a person.

Picard's play is a direct result of Carkner.

Now that there's no question about. Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 5 Icon_smile

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

HE gets Schuberts money. Good solid signing for a guy who wants to be here.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:HE gets Schuberts money. Good solid signing for a guy who wants to be here.

I bet he wouldn't complain if we ever needed him to play forward for an extended period of time, not that I would ever take him from his D spot though, that is where he is strongest.

Gets more then 10% less than Shubert... great signing, simple as that. People in the organization have seen enough from him to know he is an NHL player.

It's not like he started being evaluated by everyone in the last 7 games this season, he was here last year close to making the jump and Murray and Clouston knew they wanted a guy like him.

If he plays 1/2 as well as he has right now it's still a good deal. We finally have the right mix of players and Carkner is a huge part of that.

Good on Murray, good on Carkner, good on The Sens.

Seriously though, this could be the end of the road for Lee in Ottawa. Next year he may not even be a top 2 D man in Bingo let alone top 6 in Ottawa, haha.

There is some food for thought.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:Atta boy MC Hammer (I really like that nickname, however is credited with that). Not a lot of money by NHL standards, but it is a lot for most people, so it's nice to see him get rewarded and hopefully he and his family can settle in safe and sound knowing he will be around a little longer.

I brought it here but I first heard it over on Scarlett Ice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:Seriously though, this could be the end of the road for Lee in Ottawa. Next year he may not even be a top 2 D man in Bingo let alone top 6 in Ottawa, haha.

There is some food for thought.

But do you really think that Carkner and Lee were ever in head-to-head competition for the last spot? Two very different players. Carkner may make it more difficult for A-Train to get his extra $2M here, though. Eventually Cowen/Wiercioch will be the twin towers on our back-end. Who knows where Philchenkov will be by that time. Carkner will be UFA at the end of this contract and we probably won't have cap room for him. He'll get his $2.5-3M (Volchenkov's old contract) somewhere else.

100% the head to head compition. That number 6 role, playing on the right side. Carkner fills a need while playing the right side, Lee, not so much, he doesnt bring anything The Sens dont have or need. They are very much different players but they were both fighting for that same spot.

If A Train is signed, Lee wont be playing in Ottawa until he is at least 25 years old. Absolutely no spot for him anywhere on that blueline, even without A Train I have a hard time seeing it... but it makes it a little easier to make an arguement for him.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Am I correct in assuming that Volchenkov can't be resigned until after Jan. 1?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:Atta boy MC Hammer (I really like that nickname, however is credited with that). Not a lot of money by NHL standards, but it is a lot for most people, so it's nice to see him get rewarded and hopefully he and his family can settle in safe and sound knowing he will be around a little longer.

I just might get that put on the back of a Sens t-shirt.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I'm guessing that Lee and Kelly will be packaged at some point to address a need later on down the road.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:

Still not liking it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:100% the head to head compition. That number 6 role, playing on the right side. Carkner fills a need while playing the right side, Lee, not so much, he doesnt bring anything The Sens dont have or need. They are very much different players but they were both fighting for that same spot.

If A Train is signed, Lee wont be playing in Ottawa until he is at least 25 years old. Absolutely no spot for him anywhere on that blueline, even without A Train I have a hard time seeing it... but it makes it a little easier to make an arguement for him.

I was thinking more of Lee as a replacement for Campoli, although he can't shoot. In any case, with Kuba probably coming back Saturday this becomes a moot point.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:

Still not liking it.

That's too bad, 'cause ... can't touch this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum