GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal!

+12
Riprock
SensFan71
asq2
wprager
Phoenix30
SensGirl11
PKC
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Bramlet07
PTFlea
shabbs
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:It's also a nice message for all those "career AHL'ers" out there to not give up and keep at it. Chances to come around.

Just throw that one in there with the Tim Thomas career path to inspire the "career AHL'ers". Seriously Thomas went from "career AHL'er" to Vezina trophy winner. How cool is that?

shabbs wrote:Maybe we'll see a Volchie signing very soon...

Hopefully he wants a long term deal. You cant pay A Train more then 3.5 really per year. 5 years between 17-19 would be ideal, but we'll see where his head is at.

Not like that money wouldnt set him and his family up for life either.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:$700k/season!!!

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/10/20/11463466.html

WOW!

700K is fair enough. Would have pushed for 600K, but the 2 years is a nice bonus for both him and us.

Now...about A-Train. Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 4 805406

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Maybe we'll see a Volchie signing very soon...

Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 4 639591 Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 4 805406

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:It's also a nice message for all those "career AHL'ers" out there to not give up and keep at it. Chances to come around.

Just throw that one in there with the Tim Thomas career path to inspire the "career AHL'ers". Seriously Thomas went from "career AHL'er" to Vezina trophy winner. How cool is that?

Well Carkner looks like a top 4 D man right now. If he continues to progress (even stay as is) and gains a little more confidence they we have a top 4, MEAN, BIG, and tallented signed for 700k a year...

This guy is Jason Smith but better at this point. We have the Jason Smith from 5 years ago we were looking for.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Carkner plays on the same side of the ice as Vulchi also... very well could have their replacement for A Train especially if they think Cowen will be here next year as well...

I think this signals the end of Lee more then anything related to Vulchi. We have a very complete D right now.

I think there is definite potential there if Volchie prices himself out of Ottawa. I forgot about Cowen too actually. A Phillips-Carkner shut down pair isn't as scary as A-Train-Phillips but with Cowen coming next season we'll be in good shape on D and in terms of the Cap.

Phillips - Carkner

Kuba - Karlsson

Picard - Cowen

Not bad for the price right?

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Well Carkner looks like a top 4 D man right now. If he continues to progress (even stay as is) and gains a little more confidence they we have a top 4, MEAN, BIG, and tallented signed for 700k a year...

This guy is Jason Smith but better at this point. We have the Jason Smith from 5 years ago we were looking for.

If he's the Jason Smith of 5 years ago then I say sorry A-Train but we want that cap space to use in other places. Thanks for your loyal service now where would you like us to trade you?

- Unknown Author

DOnt think they will throw a rookie on his off side. I dont know, if they dont resign A Train then Lee still has a shot at making it as RH D man playing with either Picard or Phillips.

If The Sens over pay for A Train that will show how little they think of Lee. They dont think a lot of him right now anyways.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

$1.4 mill over 2 years?

That's less than Schubert.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Best.Move.Ever for Bryan Murray and Carkner, now get to talking with Volchie.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
N4L wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

If he's the Jason Smith of 5 years ago then I say sorry A-Train but we want that cap space to use in other places. Thanks for your loyal service now where would you like us to trade you?

If you give him Phillips money then that's fine.

You will have your defense signed for well under 15 mil, that's an absolute rediculous amount. Tons of room there. Goaltending and all D signed for under 20 mil, lmao, hahaha, if 35 mil isnt enough to spend on your forwards, you're in trouble.

asq2 wrote:$1.4 mill over 2 years?

That's less than Schubert.

Yup, amazing isnt it. Such a great signing.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Volchenkov must be signed soon, I can't take it anymore!!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:

As long as he doesn't start to digress, I'll be really, really happy. I don't really need to see too much progress, just stay the same and try not to fade back into obscurity.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:Volchenkov must be signed soon, I can't take it anymore!!

have you ever thought of decaf? Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 4 668437 just kidding. Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 4 805406

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

As long as he doesn't start to digress, I'll be really, really happy. I don't really need to see too much progress, just stay the same and try not to fade back into obscurity.

Playing 8 years in the AHL, you learn the game. You know what to do and what not to do out there. The great thing about his game is there is nothing great about it. He has learned basically everything you can from a mental aspect of the game, he knows what to do and how to play within himself. The fact he is provding a huge shot from the point and a decent amount of offense is surprising to me and makes this deal that much better.

After shutting down Crosby and Malkin, how do you not lock this guy up. If he does that once a year he has earned his keep IMO. How many teams shut down both guys once a year? About none, and Carkner did.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
Playing 8 years in the AHL, you learn the game. You know what to do and what not to do out there. The great thing about his game is there is nothing great about it. He has learned basically everything you can from a mental aspect of the game, he knows what to do and how to play within himself. The fact he is provding a huge shot from the point and a decent amount of offense is surprising to me and makes this deal that much better.

After shutting down Crosby and Malkin, how do you not lock this guy up. If he does that once a year he has earned his keep IMO. How many teams shut down both guys once a year? About none, and Carkner did.

Yeah, I think the same. He'll never stop working either, which is even better for us. Perfect 3rd pairing D-man. We're lucky this worked out.

He also doesnt have the miles that Smith had on him. The guy is just starting his NHL career and is only going to get better from here on out. The fact his work ethic is as good as it is speak volumes for him as a player and a person.

Picard's play is a direct result of Carkner.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum