GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal!

+12
Riprock
SensFan71
asq2
wprager
Phoenix30
SensGirl11
PKC
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Bramlet07
PTFlea
shabbs
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

31Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 pm

This signing def signals the end of Lee in Ottawa. Murray can't stand him it seems, Clouston has sent him down 2 times in less then a year and they chose and resigned a 28 year old journey man who tried out as a forward and made it as a D man.

The guys playing the right side are now A Train/Karlsson/Carkner... Cowen coming in next year more than likely to play on the left side as well... Picard is showing he's a solid 5/6 guy with Carkner... Lee wont see a game in Ottawa unless the injury bug hits HARD.

32Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:The thing that I have been surprised with is just how smart of a hockey player this guy is. REALLY smart out there and honestly, the way he plays the game and thinks it, he may have coach written all over him oe day.

I think the expectations were that he would be a 6-7 D-man who could give Neil a bit more freedom to play hockey. What would have been considered gravy? Being a "+" player and sticking around as a 5-6 instead of a 6-7?

I especially love how he passes the puck. To me that's the big bonus.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Great news for Carkner. One of the feel-good stories, for sure.

SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:The thing that I have been surprised with is just how smart of a hockey player this guy is. REALLY smart out there and honestly, the way he plays the game and thinks it, he may have coach written all over him oe day.

I think the expectations were that he would be a 6-7 D-man who could give Neil a bit more freedom to play hockey. What would have been considered gravy? Being a "+" player and sticking around as a 5-6 instead of a 6-7?

He will score 5-10 goals from the point next year, you watch. That guy has a cannon of a shot, get's it through traffic, and is surprising mobile with the puck and doesnt put it in the bad area's.

People might not realize this but the attitude he brought is exactly what The Sens needed. Players notice this and it runs throughout the team. Now, Jesus... The Sens took care of his family and his dream, the guy would be selling beers to the fans at intermission if they ask him to. This is a HUGE signing in the sense of team attitude, chemsitry, and sending a msg to everyone that hard work pays off and you will be rewarded.

Cant say enough about this signing.

wprager wrote:Great news for Carkner. One of the feel-good stories, for sure.

So many of my buddies have struggled to make it or just didnt get that one chance, I cant tell you how happy I am for this guy. It hits on a little bit of a personal level.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

$700k/season!!!

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/10/20/11463466.html

WOW!

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This gives me chills. He's a special story so far. I have so much respect for him and what he has brought to our team.

Is this a 2 way or 1 way out of curiosity. Assuming it's a 1 way.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:This gives me chills. He's a special story so far. I have so much respect for him and what he has brought to our team.

Is this a 2 way or 1 way out of curiosity. Assuming it's a 1 way.
1-way, 2-year $1.4M deal. Cap hit: $700k.

shabbs wrote:$700k/season!!!

WOW!

That's a perfect signing. This has set him and his family up for life. 700k is a little more then I was expecting but no probs with that kind of money being given to the guy.

Go house shopping big guy.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

He will score 5-10 goals from the point next year, you watch. That guy has a cannon of a shot, get's it through traffic, and is surprising mobile with the puck and doesnt put it in the bad area's.

His shooting demonstrates his hockey smarts too. I've noticed that he's selective in his velocity depending on the situation. I'm biased, but I don't recall him missing the target either.

Seriously, I havnt seen him rim a shot around the boards and out, very good call on your part.

He is one crossbar away from having 2 goals right now. Really, I could talk forever today about how happy I am about this signing.

If I had any doubts about which way the franchise was headed, I dont anymore. This was a bit of luck on The Sens part and just drive and hard work on Carkners.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's also a nice message for all those "career AHL'ers" out there to not give up and keep at it. Chances to come around.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:

WOW!

That's a perfect signing. This has set him and his family up for life. 700k is a little more then I was expecting but no probs with that kind of money being given to the guy.

Go house shopping big guy.

I know this is a BIIIIIIIIIIG stretch but does anyone think that this signing is a little added leverage to getting A-Train signed for good deal? I mean if Carkner can play at the same level as A-Train on the PK then he's got potential to cover some of A-train's roll blocking shots and shutting down other teams top players on the PK right?

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Maybe we'll see a Volchie signing very soon...

Carkner plays on the same side of the ice as Vulchi also... very well could have their replacement for A Train especially if they think Cowen will be here next year as well...

I think this signals the end of Lee more then anything related to Vulchi. We have a very complete D right now.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:It's also a nice message for all those "career AHL'ers" out there to not give up and keep at it. Chances to come around.

Just throw that one in there with the Tim Thomas career path to inspire the "career AHL'ers". Seriously Thomas went from "career AHL'er" to Vezina trophy winner. How cool is that?

- Unknown Author

shabbs wrote:Maybe we'll see a Volchie signing very soon...

Hopefully he wants a long term deal. You cant pay A Train more then 3.5 really per year. 5 years between 17-19 would be ideal, but we'll see where his head is at.

Not like that money wouldnt set him and his family up for life either.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

WOW!

700K is fair enough. Would have pushed for 600K, but the 2 years is a nice bonus for both him and us.

Now...about A-Train. Sens sign Carkner to 2 year $1.4M deal! - Page 3 805406

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum