GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade?

+12
TeamRenzo
asq2
beerandsens
SensFan71
Phoenix30
PTFlea
BigRig
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
wprager
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

What is the TOP priority in the up-coming Heatley trade?

What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_lcap20%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_lcap213%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 4 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_lcap213%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 4 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_lcap228%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 28% [ 9 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_lcap26%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 2 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_lcap225%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 8 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_lcap215%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Hossa signed with the Red Wings for near-Heatley money. You think he'd come back to Ottawa for anything less than $8.5 million per?

7 million per year. What...is the cap going up and I didn't know about it?

I don't think he's going to take less money than he asked for to sign with the Wings.

He won't get that offer from the Wings. One team is being taken out of the mix when they acquire Heatley. 7.5 million for Hossa? Maybe Vancouver, but I haven't been impressed with Hossa all year. I wouldn't want to be the one giving him that kind of $$.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Hossa signed with the Red Wings for near-Heatley money. You think he'd come back to Ottawa for anything less than $8.5 million per?

I don't think he's going to take less money than he asked for to sign with the Wings.

He won't get that offer from the Wings. One team is being taken out of the mix when they acquire Heatley. 7.5 million for Hossa? Maybe Vancouver, but I haven't been impressed with Hossa all year. I wouldn't want to be the one giving him that kind of $$.

someone will though, maybe the loser in the Heatley Sweepstakes?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:someone will though, maybe the loser in the Heatley Sweepstakes?

You mean, aside from the loser who gives up the farm to acquire Heatley? Laughing3

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:someone will though, maybe the loser in the Heatley Sweepstakes?

You mean, aside from the loser who gives up the farm to acquire Heatley? Laughing3

well yeah of course, that is exactly what I meant, that loser will be our new best friend when they emerge. Razz

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Replacing the lost offense is a real -- and serious -- issue. Remember that we lost a 20-25 goal scorer in Vermette as well as a 40-50 foal scorer in Heatley. If Regin replaces Vermette as a 3rd line center and gets 15 goals I'll be very happy. Whoever replaces Heatley on the top line should get 25-30 goals. So we are looking at losing 20-30 goals. That's about 1/3 goal per game. Will Leclaire/Elliot versus Gerber/Auld cover that?

Let's do some math. At 30 shots per game over an 82 game schedule, that's 2,460 shots. Let's229 goals, or say Gerber/Auld were giving us a .907 SV%, this leads to 229 goals or a 2.79 GAA. If Leclaire/Elliot give us a .920 SV%, that's a 2.4 GAA.

So, strictly on paper, using numbers that resemble reality as far as my mind can recall it early in the day (although I *am* on my second cup), the upgrade in goal should cover the loss of Heatley and Vermette, *PROVIDED* that Regin gets 15 and Heatey's replacement on the top line gets 25.

OK, so we have a plan with certain goals. Now we can track it and see if we're close or way off.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Replacing the lost offense is a real -- and serious -- issue. Remember that we lost a 20-25 goal scorer in Vermette as well as a 40-50 foal scorer in Heatley. If Regin replaces Vermette as a 3rd line center and gets 15 goals I'll be very happy. Whoever replaces Heatley on the top line should get 25-30 goals. So we are looking at losing 20-30 goals. That's about 1/3 goal per game. Will Leclaire/Elliot versus Gerber/Auld cover that?

Let's do some math. At 30 shots per game over an 82 game schedule, that's 2,460 shots. Let's229 goals, or say Gerber/Auld were giving us a .907 SV%, this leads to 229 goals or a 2.79 GAA. If Leclaire/Elliot give us a .920 SV%, that's a 2.4 GAA.

So, strictly on paper, using numbers that resemble reality as far as my mind can recall it early in the day (although I *am* on my second cup), the upgrade in goal should cover the loss of Heatley and Vermette, *PROVIDED* that Regin gets 15 and Heatey's replacement on the top line gets 25.

OK, so we have a plan with certain goals. Now we can track it and see if we're close or way off.

No worries, a goal scorer will be coming back in return, am fine with someone scoring 30 as well, then getting that blue chip D or F prospect we all cherish as well as that first round pick, which is why LA is so appealling to deal with, they have the highest pick of all teams mentioned.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

I wonder if we can pry Kesler from The Canucks for Heatley. If thery don't sign the Sedin's they will be in need of scoring and they will have th cap space.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:

What the wings are doing to keep their team under the cap is give lengthy contracts of guaranteed money to make up for the lack of per year salary.

Look at Franzens deal. I guess they're banking on their owner being willing to buy out contracts if need be.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

I just hope that Murray doesn't take much salary back in exchange for Heately. Im hoping that he gets some solid young players with cheap contracts or prospects/picks. That way he can spend some serious coin on a free agent to fill whatever hole the incoming youngsters can't cover.

The worst thing he can do is trade Heatley, and only have a million or two leftover to tinker with.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Sp00nz wrote:I just hope that Murray doesn't take much salary back in exchange for Heately. Im hoping that he gets some solid young players with cheap contracts or prospects/picks. That way he can spend some serious coin on a free agent to fill whatever hole the incoming youngsters can't cover.

The worst thing he can do is trade Heatley, and only have a million or two leftover to tinker with.

The question is, will we be able to attract free agents here having traded Heatley for nothing that will make an impact in the NHL for a few years? What's the selling point for us, especially sans Heatley?

Getting a Frolov back is, IMO, pretty important.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:
Sp00nz wrote:I just hope that Murray doesn't take much salary back in exchange for Heately. Im hoping that he gets some solid young players with cheap contracts or prospects/picks. That way he can spend some serious coin on a free agent to fill whatever hole the incoming youngsters can't cover.

The question is, will we be able to attract free agents here having traded Heatley for nothing that will make an impact in the NHL for a few years? What's the selling point for us, especially sans Heatley?

Absolutely, but in my mind he's still a youngster. I think he makes 3ish million for a couple years after this, which would leave murray a lot of wiggle room in a cap world.

I just don't want Heatley traded for a guy like Marleau, where the salaries are a wash give or take a million.

asq2 wrote:

Frolov isn't terribly expensive either. And I read somewhere that he's best friends with A-Train. I'm all for obtaining him.

Sp00nz wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Absolutely, but in my mind he's still a youngster. I think he makes 3ish million for a couple years after this, which would leave murray a lot of wiggle room in a cap world.

I just don't want Heatley traded for a guy like Marleau, where the salaries are a wash give or take a million.

I'm violently against getting Marleau. He's overpaid, and quite frankly, I'd have concerns about what player we'd be getting. This past season's good version, or the previous season's dud? Not willing to take the chance at his salary. Unless they are offering Michalek/Setoguchi/Clowe, Sexsmith, and Couture. Which is unlikely in the extreme.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Sp00nz wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Unfortunately, Frolov's a UFA after this season. I agree with your sentiment, but I think if we want to compete at all this year (and that does seem to be the intention), then at least getting something palpable for this year's roster is pretty important IMO, even if it's just to try to lure UFAs.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:
Sp00nz wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Unfortunately, Frolov's a UFA after this season. I agree with your sentiment, but I think if we want to compete at all this year (and that does seem to be the intention), then at least getting something palpable for this year's roster is pretty important IMO, even if it's just to try to lure UFAs.

My mistake then, Frolov would make no sense as a centrepiece if he's a UFA after next season.

I'd love for the Sens to be a playoff team next season, but they better not give a superstar like heatley up for anything that won't guarantee an awesome future.

Because he is a UFA he makes total sense. The Sens are going to have to take risk in this trade as well, and cap. There it is.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:Because he is a UFA he makes total sense. The Sens are going to have to take risk in this trade as well, and cap. There it is.

I agree as well and if Frolov proves he's a good player then we could potentially keep him. It's a risk sure but even if we lose him we gain so much cap space.

A LW who can score 30 plus goals as well. He also works the PK, PP, solid defensivly, and an extremely hard worker. I would almost RATHER have him then Heatley... he might be better in a year or two, not even kidding here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum