GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray speaks out about Heatley trade request

+17
asq2
duffyforever
rooneypoo
Acrobat
wprager
LeCaptain
Havlat9
SensGirl11
PKC
TeamRenzo
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
Urkie
PTFlea
davetherave
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TSN has an article up where Murray speaks about the task of trading Heatley and his feelings... he seems pretty candid about it. Lots of work ahead for him. It sounds like this caught everyone off guard, even after the exit interviews. Very odd.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282020

Bryan Murray may have been officially given the title of the Senators' executive-vice president at a press conference on Tuesday, however he will remain very busy this summer in his original role as the team's general manager.

Murray's biggest obstacle heading into the summer is finding a deal for star winger Dany Heatley has asked for a trade out of the nation's capital. A request that took Murray by surprise.

"I was shocked and disappointed," Murray told reporters. "Number one, I did have a talk at the end of the year in the exit interview. He indicated that he just wanted to talk and he wanted to talk to Corey (Clouston) and there a couple of other issues as well and they were mainly the finger being pointed at him on a few occasions that he didn't think was always fair so we talked about that and he went away to the world championships. Only the Monday before, game 6 in Pittsburgh, the announcement was made by their people they indicated to me they really wanted to get something going."

In addition, Murray admitted that Clouston was devastated by the news.

"The frustrating part for us is we have gone through several coaches here that we couldn't win enough games with," Murray stated. "We brought in a guy the results we were very happy with. The team started to look like a real team again. And then to be kind of blind sided in his way of thinking anyway by one of your players - not wanting to fit in. That's hard for a coach to accept."

In the fall of 2007, Heatley agreed to a six-year, $45 million contract extension with the Senators that kicked in this past season when Heatley scored 39 goals, his lowest total since arriving in Ottawa.

Murray stated that he would like to get a deal done before next week's draft in Montreal but despite the "off-year," Murray realizes it will be difficult to get equal value for a sniper of Heatley's caliber.

"I'm just not going to let him just walk away for nothing as you know. Whether we get the ideal trade or not that is one thing but I have to get something good for this organization coming back."

The agent for Heatley has also submitted a list of teams that the two-time 50 goal scorer was willing to go to, however Murray stated that list will not necessarily be stuck with if he is unable to find the right deal.

"If he doesn't want to be in Ottawa and there is team that offers me a deal that I think is a better deal obviously I have to put some pressure on them to accept that or he may end up playing back here."

--

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs>thanks for posting this.

The article seems to indicate Bryan Murray is preparing Ottawa fans for lower expectations in terms of what he might get for Heatley.

And it also looks like a very public message to Heatley that if he doesn't play ball with Bryan, Dany might have to face the music in Ottawa next season.

I'm sooo happy BM is handling this. I've already resigned myself to being disappointed, but his hard-nosed tactics give me hope.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised he said so much. He's clearly sending a message to Heatley and his agent that this is going to happen on his terms and that Heatley is not in control no matter what he thinks.

Murray's a very shrewd operator and the setting of expectations is pretty smart. It'll settle down all the crazy trade talk and perhaps take it out of the limelight so he can focus on getting a deal done without all the press coverage.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In addition, Murray admitted that Clouston was devastated by the news.

Diddle you a thousand times over Heatley. I hate you more now than is humanly possible.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:In addition, Murray admitted that Clouston was devastated by the news.

Diddle you a thousand times over Heatley. I hate you more now than is humanly possible.

What did Clouston even do? The way Murray spoke about it, it seems as though the main issue was that one time that Clouston said to the media that Heatley wasn't adapting well to his system. Pretty stupid reason if you ask me.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Urkie wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:In addition, Murray admitted that Clouston was devastated by the news.

What did Clouston even do? The way Murray spoke about it, it seems as though the main issue was that one time that Clouston said to the media that Heatley wasn't adapting well to his system. Pretty stupid reason if you ask me.

Clouston told him he was being lazy and he was out of shape (is what I believe). Heatley didn't like it - and here we are.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

And to think Spezza got his derrière kicked by Phaneuf for this guy!!!

Urkie wrote:

I don't think it has a whole lot to do with what was said in the media...the locker room and practice rink, however...

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:Clouston told him he was being lazy and he was out of shape (is what I believe). Heatley didn't like it - and here we are.

I don't think that was it. I get the sense this was a decision made because of a very stupid reason (media calling him out) and he couldn't handle it. I remember at the end of the year he said he learned a lot of stuff about the media and saying it like he was perturbed. I really believe this is the biggest issue for him.

I guess he didn't realize he was playing in a Canadian city.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The media had something to do with it too, but keep that on the down low, because you know wherever Heatley goes with his 7.5 million dollar contract, he'll never take criticism from media and fans. Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Urkie wrote:

Stupid enough that even his agent knows it.

This is why I've been saying all along the agent made vague references to "other factors" only to hide what an Donkey his client is.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Just to note, it was Heatley himself who leaked this info.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jamvan wrote:Just to note, it was Heatley himself who leaked this info.
You mean that he had requested a trade? Is that for real? That doesn't seem to make any sense... unless he just slipped up while talking to the press...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:Just to note, it was Heatley himself who leaked this info.

If he wasn't hiding in San Diego or wherever he was, he'd get a first hand look at what hatred means in Ottawa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum