GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray speaks out about Heatley trade request

+17
asq2
duffyforever
rooneypoo
Acrobat
wprager
LeCaptain
Havlat9
SensGirl11
PKC
TeamRenzo
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
Urkie
PTFlea
davetherave
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:

Whoa whoa, Spezza didnt turn anyone into anything. Heatley and Alfi are still 2 of the best wingers in the game who have shown the ability to get it done on their own. Spezza has not. Spezza has proven to struggle when taken away from one of the two, the other two dont.

Like I said in another thread, it's all good to back the guy now but dont turn him into something he clearly isnt, and thats a top center in this league that makes everyone around him better.

You're theory of Heatley not being a 50 goal guy without Spezza is just basically saying, "if he wasnt on the 1st line, he wouldnt hit 50". Well, probably not. There are a number of guys in the NHL who can get him 50... if he goes to LA with Kopitar that could very well happen.

We'll see this upcoming year. When Spezza/Heatley/Alfie were clicking, they were clicking hardcore. Spezza was at the center of it all (ha ha). I'm interested to see where Heatley goes where he can get those kinds of passes handed to him on a silver platter.

Kopitar? Maybe. Horcoff? No. Thornton? For sure. Spezza? Well, yeah, it happened twice.

Ryan wasn't drafted by Murray.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hope/think that's the mindset Duffy. I can see that being accurate.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cas wrote:Ryan wasn't drafted by Murray.

Burke?

SpezDispenser wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Whoa whoa, Spezza didnt turn anyone into anything. Heatley and Alfi are still 2 of the best wingers in the game who have shown the ability to get it done on their own. Spezza has not. Spezza has proven to struggle when taken away from one of the two, the other two dont.

Like I said in another thread, it's all good to back the guy now but dont turn him into something he clearly isnt, and thats a top center in this league that makes everyone around him better.

You're theory of Heatley not being a 50 goal guy without Spezza is just basically saying, "if he wasnt on the 1st line, he wouldnt hit 50". Well, probably not. There are a number of guys in the NHL who can get him 50... if he goes to LA with Kopitar that could very well happen.

We'll see this upcoming year. When Spezza/Heatley/Alfie were clicking, they were clicking hardcore. Spezza was at the center of it all (ha ha). I'm interested to see where Heatley goes where he can get those kinds of passes handed to him on a silver platter.

Kopitar? Maybe. Horcoff? No. Thornton? For sure. Spezza? Well, yeah, it happened twice.

We will see, I wouldnt be on Spezza getting close to 100 points but we'll see what kind of player Spezza is. Seriously though, just because Heatley is a douche bag lets not give Spezza credit for things he shouldnt have a whole lot of credit for.

One year when Heatley hit 50 Spezza was out for more than 20 games.... come on dude.

duffyforever

Prospect
Prospect

SpezDispenser wrote:
cas wrote:We're not arguing the merits of Spezza as a centre here...
All I'm saying is that maybe Heatley doesn't enjoy playing with Spezza anymore and feels that the real change he needs is a change in his linemates.

He also got a taste of playing with Getzlaf (who's personality is much more similar to Heatley's than is Spezza's) and experienced some significant success in the stats column. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the team at the top of Heatley's list is Anaheim.

Good news! I'll take Booby Ryan or Corey Perry.

If it's Corey Perry, I want more added. But, realistically, nothing less than Booby (drafted by B.Murray) will do!

Game on!!

I'd seriously take Corey Perry straight up. Gives us 2M in cap space to sign Comrie and we're laughing. Anaheim gets a better winger for Getz and we get a grittier player that can get his nose dirty.

This is seriously about the only one-for-one trade I can see actually happening. I'm more resolved to expecting something closer to prospects and picks and hopefully a legit second liner.

On a related note, Chris Kelly hosting a draft party in Ottawa at Locals? Awkward is the look on his face when he gets traded at the draft.

http://www.anothersensblog.blogspot.com

SpezDispenser wrote:
cas wrote:Ryan wasn't drafted by Murray.

Burke?

yeah

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

duffyforever wrote:
On a related note, Chris Kelly hosting a draft party in Ottawa at Locals? Awkward is the look on his face when he gets traded at the draft.

Laughing3

Comrie is AWFUL. Most useless player currently on the roster with Jason Smith and even then Smith has so value on and off the ice to a team. Comrie brings nothing to the table, nothing, at all.

duffyforever

Prospect
Prospect

Neely4Life wrote:Comrie is AWFUL. Most useless player currently on the roster with Jason Smith and even then Smith has so value on and off the ice to a team. Comrie brings nothing to the table, nothing, at all.

Let me ask you this - do you think a healthy Mike Comrie is a 50-point player?

now.... probably not.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
duffyforever wrote:

Laughing3

And Alex Picard at Boston Pizza. I think it would be worth attending either one to be there for the inevitable reaction... :****:

duffyforever

Prospect
Prospect

Neely4Life wrote:now.... probably not.

He's 28 years old, still has a long career ahead of him. If you don't think he's a 50pt player, then there isn't much point in continuing this discussion.

My thought is if Comrie can get to 50 pts, play on the 2nd pp, and backchecks, then that is without a doubt worth $2M to me.

But if you think he is "awful, useless, and brings nothing to the table", then we're probably not going to bridge this gap in thought.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

duffyforever wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:now.... probably not.

He's 28 years old, still has a long career ahead of him. If you don't think he's a 50pt player, then there isn't much point in continuing this discussion.

My thought is if Comrie can get to 50 pts, play on the 2nd pp, and backchecks, then that is without a doubt worth $2M to me.

But if you think he is "awful, useless, and brings nothing to the table", then we're probably not going to bridge this gap in thought.

He's lost a lot of effectiveness after his speed diminished. If that's only a temporary result of the surgery, then he can be an effective forward. But at the speed we had him at last season, he wasn't bringing a whole lot.

He isnt a good skater, isnt physical, isnt big, doesnt have much of a shot. He has shoulder problems, hip problems, and things are only going to get worse for a guy his size with those problems.

Comrie isnt a good enough skater for a guy his size to be effective. One of the slowest guys out there.

If Comrie cant beat a guy like Jason Smith in a foot race, who is going to win that battle?

Comrie cant be an effective player in the NHL at this point and anything more than 1 mil, 1 year contract for that guy is a waste of time and money.

duffyforever

Prospect
Prospect

Neely4Life wrote:He isnt a good skater, isnt physical, isnt big, doesnt have much of a shot. He has shoulder problems, hip problems, and things are only going to get worse for a guy his size with those problems.

Comrie isnt a good enough skater for a guy his size to be effective. One of the slowest guys out there.

He definitely isn't big and he definitely isn't physical, but with a healthy hip I think he is an above-average skater with good speed. The Comrie we had last year was one with a bum hip that avoided physical play at all costs. If, and I stress that 'if', he can get healthy this summer and gets his skating back, he is a very effective playmaker with some of the best hands and best vision on the team. I'm not usually one that only cares about goals, but with 50 of them leaving the roster next week, someone has to put the biscuit in the basket - Comrie can do that.

I think the x factor here is if his hip problems were a result of last year's surgery or if they are permanent.

He has never been a great skater, he was good enough to serperate himself at times and play a pretty well rounded offensive game, but that kind of hip injury forces a lot of guys to retire from all kinds of different sports.

That hip wont ever be the same and neither will Comrie. It's a crappy deal but thats the reality of it. Comrie cant be the player he was 3, 4, even 5 years ago.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum