GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray likes the Sens post-Heatley trade

+10
Sens19
sennies1980
wprager
shabbs
Riprock
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
asq2
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Murray likes the Sens post-Heatley trade Empty Murray likes the Sens post-Heatley trade Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:37 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506773

Bryan Murray's world only appeared to be crumbling around him over the summer as the very public fiasco surrounding Dany Heatley's trade request was unfolding.

In actuality, as the Senators' GM can safely and somewhat proudly say now, things didn't turn out so bad in the end.

The Senators finally traded Heatley to San Jose for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a 2010 second-round pick. Heatley is flourishing in the Silicon Valley, but the Senators, who will play their 20th game Saturday, are at least surviving without him.

In fact, they are better off now (10-6-3) then they were exactly 365 days ago (6-9-4). Murray even believes they have given away as much as six points in games they just couldn't close the deal on, a reason why they are a playoff bubble team now.

"It was very public and it was a long summer, but we have passed it now," Murray told NHL.com of the Heatley issue. "We know the player has moved on and we have brought in adequate people. We got a second-round pick that we hope we can capitalize on in the future. We have what we have now and we think we have a competitive hockey team. We have more depth and a better use of money going forward."

Murray may be looking to spend some of that money this season on a top-six forward. Like most GMs, he identifies scoring as an area of need if his team is going to be a legit contender coming out of the Olympic break.

"I'd like to get a little more out of our second line," Murray said. "When Alfredsson plays with Fisher and Kovalev it's a good line, and when he plays with Spezza it's a really good line. We probably need one more guy to fit into that role, but top-six forwards are very hard to get."

The Senators were hoping they would get Heatley-like production out of Kovalev when they signed him this summer. Now they would settle for the type of production Kovalev gave the Montreal Canadiens last season (26 goals, 35 assists in 78 games).

Kovalev, though, has just 4 goals and 10 points, prompting Murray to say rather dryly, "He has been OK." Murray, though, chalks some of Kovalev's scoring problems up to the fact that he doesn't have a true finisher to play with.

Fisher is benefitting now with a team-high 9 goals, but he's never had the reputation as a big-time scorer. His career-high is 23, though he's on pace to shatter that. Nick Foligno recently has played with Fisher and Kovalev, but he's also not a 30-goal threat right now.

"(Kovalev) has scored a couple of big goals for us, but he has made probably five or six sure passes that should have been tapped in but weren't," Murray said. "I think that's where we have to get a little better fit. He probably could have five or six more points, easily."

Although the goals-against would suggest otherwise (2.84 this season vs. 2.82 last season), Murray believes the Senators have been more stable on the back end this season because of increased mobility and the goaltending tandem of Pascal Leclaire and Brian Elliott.

Leclaire was a deadline acquisition from Columbus last season, but he was injured and didn't make his debut until this season. Elliott is a 24-year-old backup that Murray might peddle in a trade for a top-six winger down the road.

"Our goaltending, we're up and down a little bit in some games," Murray said, "but Leclaire is a real good goaltender in the National Hockey League and I believe Brian Elliott is a real promising player who in the very near future will get a chance to be with us or someone else as a No. 1 guy."

There might be some stability on the bench, too. Since taking over the team Feb. 2, Cory Clouston has guided the Senators to a 28-17-7 record. He signed a two-year contract April 8 and Murray doesn't have to contemplate a change midseason.

He made coaching changes in each of the last two winters.

"I think the players believe in what he does," Murray said of Clouston. "They like the guy as far as the way he directs the game and does things in practice. He had a great turnaround for us last year and I think it has continued."

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

If Murray trades Elliott for another ****ing forward I will punch a hole through my TV.

Stop trying to cover up our defence instead of addressing it!

asq2 wrote:If Murray trades Elliott for another ****ing forward I will punch a hole through my TV.

Murray likes the Sens post-Heatley trade 62136

+10

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506773

Bryan Murray's world only appeared to be crumbling around him over the summer as the very public fiasco surrounding Dany Heatley's trade request was unfolding.

In actuality, as the Senators' GM can safely and somewhat proudly say now, things didn't turn out so bad in the end.

The Senators finally traded Heatley to San Jose for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a 2010 second-round pick. Heatley is flourishing in the Silicon Valley, but the Senators, who will play their 20th game Saturday, are at least surviving without him.

In fact, they are better off now (10-6-3) then they were exactly 365 days ago (6-9-4). Murray even believes they have given away as much as six points in games they just couldn't close the deal on, a reason why they are a playoff bubble team now.

"It was very public and it was a long summer, but we have passed it now," Murray told NHL.com of the Heatley issue. "We know the player has moved on and we have brought in adequate people. We got a second-round pick that we hope we can capitalize on in the future. We have what we have now and we think we have a competitive hockey team. We have more depth and a better use of money going forward."

Murray may be looking to spend some of that money this season on a top-six forward. Like most GMs, he identifies scoring as an area of need if his team is going to be a legit contender coming out of the Olympic break.

"I'd like to get a little more out of our second line," Murray said. "When Alfredsson plays with Fisher and Kovalev it's a good line, and when he plays with Spezza it's a really good line. We probably need one more guy to fit into that role, but top-six forwards are very hard to get."

The Senators were hoping they would get Heatley-like production out of Kovalev when they signed him this summer. Now they would settle for the type of production Kovalev gave the Montreal Canadiens last season (26 goals, 35 assists in 78 games).

Kovalev, though, has just 4 goals and 10 points, prompting Murray to say rather dryly, "He has been OK." Murray, though, chalks some of Kovalev's scoring problems up to the fact that he doesn't have a true finisher to play with.

Fisher is benefitting now with a team-high 9 goals, but he's never had the reputation as a big-time scorer. His career-high is 23, though he's on pace to shatter that. Nick Foligno recently has played with Fisher and Kovalev, but he's also not a 30-goal threat right now.

"(Kovalev) has scored a couple of big goals for us, but he has made probably five or six sure passes that should have been tapped in but weren't," Murray said. "I think that's where we have to get a little better fit. He probably could have five or six more points, easily."

Although the goals-against would suggest otherwise (2.84 this season vs. 2.82 last season), Murray believes the Senators have been more stable on the back end this season because of increased mobility and the goaltending tandem of Pascal Leclaire and Brian Elliott.

Leclaire was a deadline acquisition from Columbus last season, but he was injured and didn't make his debut until this season. Elliott is a 24-year-old backup that Murray might peddle in a trade for a top-six winger down the road.

"Our goaltending, we're up and down a little bit in some games," Murray said, "but Leclaire is a real good goaltender in the National Hockey League and I believe Brian Elliott is a real promising player who in the very near future will get a chance to be with us or someone else as a No. 1 guy."

There might be some stability on the bench, too. Since taking over the team Feb. 2, Cory Clouston has guided the Senators to a 28-17-7 record. He signed a two-year contract April 8 and Murray doesn't have to contemplate a change midseason.

He made coaching changes in each of the last two winters.

"I think the players believe in what he does," Murray said of Clouston. "They like the guy as far as the way he directs the game and does things in practice. He had a great turnaround for us last year and I think it has continued."

that might be in years to come... and knowing BM if he's thinking of bolstering our blueline he want's to play it like he doesn't need to. if another team is dangling a D-man but the asking price is too high that exactly why you'd want him to say... no?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i won't complain if we get a wicked top 6 like sharp on the other hand...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:If Murray trades Elliott for another ****ing forward I will punch a hole through my TV.

Laughing3 That's awesome. It's true too, 100% true. Compensating for our D by getting another forward is the wrong move. Getting a true blue number one D-man who can move the puck efficiently and work the PP and play 25 minutes = top priority. Even if it takes all year to find the right fit.

I agree with you 100% but Murray may very well have a longer term plan then right now and if Elliott can get you a really solid, young forward up front, then I say you most defently have to look at it.

If he thinks Leclaire and Lehner are going to be the goaltenders going forward (might be a little soon for Lehner, but he could be good enough and ready enough to back up) then Elliott is an asset that could be turned into something The Sens could use.

If Murray is planning on brining in a guy like Campbell or Seabrooke come years end (as en example) it wont happen now and looking at Chicago's goaltending situation, that could very well happen.

Anyways there are a few things that could happen involving a player or two in Ottawa. I think drafting Lehner gives Ottawa a lot of options in terms of trades and who they can bring in.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

While I agree with your overall assesment, I am worried that it may be a little early (by about 2 years) to make a determination on Lehner. I'm sure the organization has a pretty solid grip as to where he'll fall in but you never know; with injuries and so on what will end up happening. The safe thing is to keep Elliott around but hey; I'm sitting here typing and not running an NHL team so ... you know ... Smile

Sophomore
Sophomore

we have leclaire and lehner.

if elliot gets us sharp, where do i sign.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:

I agree with you 100% but Murray may very well have a longer term plan then right now and if Elliott can get you a really solid, young forward up front, then I say you most defently have to look at it.

If he thinks Leclaire and Lehner are going to be the goaltenders going forward (might be a little soon for Lehner, but he could be good enough and ready enough to back up) then Elliott is an asset that could be turned into something The Sens could use.

If Murray is planning on brining in a guy like Campbell or Seabrooke come years end (as en example) it wont happen now and looking at Chicago's goaltending situation, that could very well happen.

Anyways there are a few things that could happen involving a player or two in Ottawa. I think drafting Lehner gives Ottawa a lot of options in terms of trades and who they can bring in.

i really don't think lehner should be up till at least a year in the AHl. no matter how well his development is going. elliott is as good as we have had ina while as an injury policy for leclaire. let's not muck it up.(unless there's another goalie tosign out there and a team as some serious love for elliott)

Sophomore
Sophomore

i bet elliott and kelly would get kadri out of toronto right now....

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Is it Elliott too good for a back-up role in Ottawa after basically splitting last season? Yes. Is he a number one elsewhere? I don't think so. And how you think Elliott for Sharp would even happen is crazy, yet alone for Seabrooke. That's just crazy.

Look at all the #2 or even #1b goalies out there that are as good or better than Elliott that could be available.

Dash wrote:Is it Elliott too good for a back-up role in Ottawa after basically splitting last season? Yes. Is he a number one elsewhere? I don't think so. And how you think Elliott for Sharp would even happen is crazy, yet alone for Seabrooke. That's just crazy.

Look at all the #2 or even #1b goalies out there that are as good or better than Elliott that could be available.

Elliott and a draft pick for Sharp depending on what happens with Huet, I can 100% see happening. Cheap contract and a borderline number 1 goaltender coming in for a guy that is probably going to get dealt anyways... perhaps.

How much worse if AT ALL is Elliott then Huet. I think Elliott is a better goaltender right now and will be the rest of his career and he basically makes league min.

Elliott is Chicago makes as much sense as A Train in Chicago. Now, if it happens or if it's fair, thats debatable, I think it's close personally.

Ottawa 100% doesnt have any real need to move Elliott for the sake of moving him, it's great having him back there. For Elliott to actually be moved you would need a guy like Sharp coming back or a top tier prospect, otherwise who cares, he's a perfect backup and the potential to be number 1. He's a piece other teams would want not a piece Ottawa wants to move, that's the difference here.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

**** SHARP! WE NEED ****ING DEFENCEMEN! Murray likes the Sens post-Heatley trade 235689 Murray likes the Sens post-Heatley trade 235689 Murray likes the Sens post-Heatley trade 805406

Also, what happens if we acquire a guy like Sharp (which we won't) and then Leclaire goes down (*knock on wood*) which frankly I can't say isn't particularly likely. Are we going to compete with Mike Brodeur and our **** blue-line?

Keep Elliott around.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:i bet elliott and kelly would get kadri out of toronto right now....

I'd take that bet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum