GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley Trade Demand Has Sens 'On Hold': Panzeri in The Citizen

+4
SeawaySensFan
jawal
wprager
davetherave
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Citizen's Allen Panzeri lays out his view on the impact that Heatley's demands have had on management's efforts to improve the team in the offseason.

TRADE DEMAND HAS SENS ON HOLD
GM Bryan Murray can't do a whole lot to improve the team until he knows how the Heatley situation is resolved
Allen Panzeri, The Ottawa Citizen, August 5 2009

With Dany Heatley still in limbo, the Ottawa Senators are stuck in neutral.

And that's not good news for fans of the team who hope they'll be better than they were last season, when they missed the playoffs for the first time in 12 seasons.

Heatley's trade demand has put a roadblock in front of the team. Until general manager Bryan Murray trades the disgruntled left-winger and knows what he's getting in return -- in money and players -- he can't make any other moves to improve his team.

Trading a player who makes $1 million a year is one thing, but moving a 50-goal scorer who carries a salary-cap hit of $7.5 million is quite another. When he's moved, it affects every other piece on the chess board.

That's the dilemma Murray finds himself in right now.

Except in goal, where Pascal Leclaire is a decided upgrade over Martin Gerber and Alex Auld, the Senators are no better than they were last year. In fact, it's easy to argue that they're worse off, because the acquisition of Alex Kovalev would, on its own, not compensate for the loss of Heatley.

For Murray, there's a lot at stake, not the least of which is the money the team earns from selling tickets and playing host to playoff games.

Murray needs to acquire players in exchange for Heatley and then make whatever other moves he can in order to present a team that fans can believe is credibly better.

With the hole Heatley has left up front, the Senators are thin offensively. They're still a one-line team, only this time it's Alfredsson, Spezza and Kovalev.

If Heatley hadn't asked for a trade, then Kovalev would have been the top-six forward Murray said he was looking for and the Senators would be better. It would have shuffled the deck and given coach Cory Clouston more offensive combinations.

That was the plus in the package the Oilers offered. Both Andrew Cogliano and Dustin Penner would have added offensive depth, though Penner has hardly impressed in Edmonton after leaving Anaheim.

In fact, when general manager Steve Tambellini announced the Oilers were pulling out of their proposed deal with the Senators, the joke in Edmonton was that it was a doubly bad day for the Oilers: Not only did they not get Heatley, they had to keep Penner.

Unless Murray can get another top-six scorer in return for Heatley, opposing coaches will be able to follow the usual strategy against the Senators: check the first line and take their chances with the other three.

Defensively, the team hasn't changed from last year. Take that any way you want to.

In a couple of years, the team's defence will be pretty good, with Erik Karlsson, Jared Cowan and Patrick Wiercioch leading the way. Murray has done a good job of restocking these shelves.

But those players are still years away from being significant factors. Even if Karlsson is expected to make the team this year, he's still just a 19-year-old kid.

Otherwise, the defence looks like this: Filip Kuba, Chris Phillips, Anton Volchenkov, Brian Lee, Alexandre Picard, Chris Campoli, Jason Smith and Christoph Schubert (depending on where he's used).

While Kuba, Phillips and Volchenkov could play for any team in the league, the jury is out on the 22-year-old Lee, the 23-year-old Picard and the 24-year-old Campoli. Smith is 35 and nearing the end of his career.

The Senators still don't have that puck-moving defenceman they've been looking for since both Wade Redden and Zdeno Chara left.

Fans can't relish the prospect of heading into the season with the same group of defencemen as last year.

In the end, Ottawa's goaltending will be a lot better with Leclaire and Brian Elliott, but they'll have to stop a lot of pucks to put the Senators anywhere near contention.

---

Panzeri's perspectives have provoked some vigourous debate on these forums, so our GM Hockey Members no doubt have plenty to offer in response to this latest opinion piece from The Citizen.

As Dr. Rooney would say, "Discuss!"

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What's Panzerri's point? Until Heatley is moved, he's still here, so please explain this:

Except in goal, where Pascal Leclaire is a decided upgrade over
Martin Gerber and Alex Auld, the Senators are no better than they were
last year. In fact, it's easy to argue that they're worse off, because
the acquisition of Alex Kovalev would, on its own, not compensate for
the loss of Heatley.

If he's still here, then he's not lost, and it's pointless thinking of how much better/worse the team will be if Heatley is gone, since we have o idea who we'd get back in return.

As it stands no, we replaced Gerber/Auld with Leclaire/Elliott, and Vermette with Kovalev. Those are both improvements. You tack that on to the team's record since Clouston took over, and with Campoli and Shannon playing full-time. We also lost Bell, whose spot on the back-end will be taken by one of Smith, Schubert, Picard or Karlsson. Regardless of who it will be, I don't think it will be a significant downgrade, if at all.

Saying our defense is the same as last year is pointless. We started with Lee and Smith in the lineup. Lee played badly enough to get sent down. He played a much different game late in the year. Smith was injured and missed much of the second half. Bell is gone. Campoli is here for a full season, and Picard is no-longer injured.

There are lots of changes to the D since the start of last season, and there are also a few changes since the end of last season.

Panzeri seems to have had nothing else to write about today. Nothing new here.

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

The defence is marginally better as Campoli is here and both Lee and Picard played mainly in the NHL last year so they have more experience than at the start of last year.

We have Clouston here from the start of the year.

Hopefully Fisher and Neil wil not have "career" low years, like last year.

Foligno has another year under his belt and more confidence.

Hopefully we get some assets in the Heatley deal to make us better to challenge for a playoff spot.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That was an awfully long-winded effort to state the obvious. Kudos to Panzami and the Dungizen!

Last edited by SeawaySensFan on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I typed "Shitizen")

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:That was an awfully long-winded effort to state the obvious. Kudos to Panzami and the Dungizen!
"Awfully being the key word here. What a terrible article that couldn't be more far off.

What? Does he not think at least one top 6 would be coming back for Heatley? What a moron.

The defence on this team took a huge transformation at the end of last year. There's no comparing this team to last years, there just isn't.

And the goaltending situation!!! Come on man! What were you smoking? And can we all get some. LOL!

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Why do these guys even bother writing anything anymore? Is there not another sport that they can write about? There is nothing going on in SensLand right now, so why bother bringing up the same crap over and over again?

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

The only potential relevance this article carries is if he somehow has inside info and knows that Heatley will not be reporting for camp if he’s not traded before then…

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This newfangled "internet" is actually a throwback to old-school newspaper rivalries where scooping the other guy was your bread and butter.

This is a perfect example of the problem with print-media. If only they were "dinosaurs" they might be worth reading.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Vandelay wrote:The only potential relevance this article carries is if he somehow has inside info and knows that Heatley will not be reporting for camp if he’s not traded before then…
Oh, he'll be in camp if not traded.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

jamvan wrote:
Vandelay wrote:The only potential relevance this article carries is if he somehow has inside info and knows that Heatley will not be reporting for camp if he’s not traded before then…

Or, he doesn't show up at all, Melnyk sues, and he doesn't get paid. There's our $4M for this year cleared up and the remainder of his contract for the next 5 years.

That's what I'm hoping for, at least we won't have to settle for some so-so players.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Or, he doesn't show up at all, Melnyk sues, and he doesn't get paid. There's our $4M for this year cleared up and the remainder of his contract for the next 5 years.

That's what I'm hoping for, at least we won't have to settle for some so-so players.

He will show up, that's a guarantee. There will be no suing or conspiracy about that. One way or another, this will get done somehow.

Whether it be via trade or the Sens organization, once again doing damage control.

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

SensGirl11 wrote:Why do these guys even bother writing anything anymore? Is there not another sport that they can write about? There is nothing going on in SensLand right now, so why bother bringing up the same crap over and over again?

I'm guessing that these guys are still drawing a pay cheque so need to write something to justify the pay. Writing about nothing is better than writing about something imaginary.."I heard from a source that ________ is interested in moving ______________ to _________ for ___________."

You are right that there is nothing to write about.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

jamvan wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
jamvan wrote:

He will show up, that's a guarantee. There will be no suing or conspiracy about that. One way or another, this will get done somehow.

Whether it be via trade or the Sens organization, once again doing damage control.

yeah i also doubt he doesn't show up. heatly will want his gold medal at the olympic this year.

and trust me if he didn't they would rather trade him for less then going to court and losing his contract and his trade value. cos sure he'd be off the book but we'd be no closer to replacing him.

he'll be gone before puck drops.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

jawal wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Why do these guys even bother writing anything anymore? Is there not another sport that they can write about? There is nothing going on in SensLand right now, so why bother bringing up the same crap over and over again?

I'm guessing that these guys are still drawing a pay cheque so need to write something to justify the pay. Writing about nothing is better than writing about something imaginary.."I heard from a source that ________ is interested in moving ______________ to _________ for ___________."

You are right that there is nothing to write about.

Jawal> you bring up a good point about the dilemma of Mainstream Media Vs the Blogosphere.

In principle, this opinon piece by Panzeri would have just as easily been a commentary on a blog, rather than taking up the front page of the Sports Section in the Citizen.

But both Canwest and SunMedia are trying to cope with the fact they are increasingly out of touch with fans.

The journalists themselves are less guilty than their bosses who hang on to the old way of doing things...those bosses who resist the inevitable rise of the people's voice that the Web represents.

The REAL insights into the hockey world are found, more and more, on forums like these...where Old School Journalism and Mainstream Media are challenged.

What if Panzeri and the Citizen would have created an Open Forum on OttawaCitizen.com to discuss these points he raises, and invited the readers to participate?

Now THAT might have been useful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum